alreadyexists

Should breeze through these. Conference will be a great chance to get the others match sharp

............................Olsen...............................

.....Chambers.....Torres......Carlos...Digne

..............Tielemans......Iroegbunam............

....Philogene..........Duran...................Coutinho

...............................Archer..................................

Edited by Pinebro

On 18/08/2023 at 00:18, turvontour said:

Hibs have officially confirmed the match is now next Wednesday, kick off late afternoon. Absolute farce for fans to try and organise attending. 

Its from the police not UEFA its why was changed

On 11/08/2023 at 09:19, limpid said:

It's not. It's in a PL Season forum because we are in the PL this season.

Think of it as a shed for holding all the things about matches for a particular season and the "PL" is  sticker so that you know which colour the cushions are.

It's not new. We don't have separate forums at the season level called things like "FAC: 2022/3" (with one match forum in it).

Screenshot 2023-08-11 09.12.57.png

This post deserved far more credit than it got.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Should breeze through these. Conference will be a great chance to get the others match sharp

Wot no McGinn🤣

Agreed you should breeze past Hibs who apart from a couple of games in Europe ( one was a team from Andorra) have shown nothing. Not won a League game and a second string Bournemouth put 4 past us pre season against a reasonably strong Hibs side, though pre season has to be taken with a pinch of salt!  Lose tomorrow in the "wee wee cup" against a flying Raith side in front of an empty Easter Road ( apart from Raith who have sold their allocation) then confidence will be low and the Hibs natives won't be happy!

Edited by newhavenhibby

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

That's nuts...

I would imagine Emery will go strong in the first leg and hope Villa are in a comfortable position in the tie and play a slightly weaker team in the second leg.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That's nuts...

I would imagine Emery will go strong in the first leg and hope Villa are in a comfortable position in the tie and play a slightly weaker team in the second leg.

I think it's a highly competent side to beat Hibernian

Just now, Pinebro said:

In some cases it should be competent enough yet many thought that about Stevenage.

From what we know of Unai Emery he will not be playing much of a weakened team in Europe.

• Like 2

Just had a look at oddschecker, the best odds for us to win the cup are 3/1, with two bookmaker's that I've never heard of. The other six who are offering prices (which include SkyBet, PaddyPower & Coral) have us as at 2/1. We aren't going to make a lot of money on betting that we win this trophy are we?  I thought that we would be favourites or among the favourites, but I didn't expect the odds to be as low as this! 

BetFred have us at 4/9 to win the game at Easter Road, with Hibs at 5/1 and the draw at 3/1. I think and hope🤞, that we will go through, but these odds don't tempt me. I expect us to be tested at Hibs, certainly during the first half an hour and if we can come away with a draw or a 1 or 2 goal advantage, I for one would be happy with that. It will be great to be back in Europe next week and we won't need a passport for this one either. I wonder whether any players who played for both clubs will be at Easter Road? Des Bremner possibly and might Alex Cropley, be well enough to attend as well? John should play as captain in this one, as should most of our first choice players, in my opinion. Having worked so hard to get into Europe those same players deserve to play this first game and it's appropriate that we show our hosts that unlike the bookies, we are expecting to need to be at or somewhere near our best to progress in this competition. The time to rest some players, is likely to come in the group stages, or if all goes really well, in the second leg for me.  

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

That's just it - it's not a 'side', i.e. a team. It's just a random collection of individuals - mostly inexperienced ones - who have never played together as an XI. The whole Emery philosophy is preparation, everybody knowing what his job is, and where his teammates will be at any given moment. The Hibs team may have less skilled individuals, but they will be a team. And this their cup final. They will - quite rightly - be busting a gut to try and beat us, in front of a partisan crowd. Never underestimate the passion of would-be giant killers in a cup tie. 

I'm not going to suggest a lineup, that's Unai's job. But I trust he will use some common sense and play the core of our first XI with a couple of young lads for the experience. If things go to plan, he can consider others from the bench, and in the second leg. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John said:

We have previously underestimated teams in Europe and paid the price. I thought that we would beat Royal Antwerp in 1975 easily enough for example! Since then, there has been Rapid Vienna (twice), Trabzonspor and Helsingborgs, let's not be Billy Big Boots just yet....;)

Varteks still one of the worst. Think we were top of the Premier League when played them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wedge said:

UEFA are brilliant aren't they?! An all-UK tie on a weekday, let's play it at 17:45!

Further evidence fans are lower than pondlife in UEFA's priority pecking order.

Especially British ones, they managed a double whammy this time! :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

My man is under the impression you can just throw 11 household names together to beat a lower league opposition.

Hibs aren't lower league though, they just happen to be in their top league too. 

image.jpeg.f3948a2a85b8d973ecc7eab3b81fe599.jpeg ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Whole sale changes leads to results like the Stevenage one. We should go in strong, take a good win back to Villa park and then we can look to utilise the squad 

• Like 2

All I'll say about this game is treat it like stevenage game and make wholesale changes and we are not guarenteed to win, personally if olsen plays regardless if that's the only change he's capable of making a mistake at any time.

Full strength first leg and then see whats what after the game.

We worked so hard for this get through and it's 6 games minimum to mess about.

Edited by villan501