Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

40 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Netherlands player not offside, despite standing virtually on the goal line and the ball crossing in front of her.

Now, I'm not arguing that it should be offside here, but I am arguing that this is probably the second goal I've seen so far that has been allowed when Villa have had multiple goals ruled out for far less.

I wish I understood the offside rule... It makes me always feel really stupid when I have no idea what call is going to be made by the officials.

I thought the “not interfering with play” thing was for when someone is miles away from the action but offside, over by the corner flag for example.

Attacker here was stood 2 yards from the goal line, 1 yard from the keeper and 1 yard from the ball but didn’t try to play the ball. Clearly involved in that play and a cause of concern / confusion for the Portuguese keeper so imo should be offside.

France improve as soon as they bring Dali, big mistake not starting her, probably cost them a win, can only assume they underestimated Jamaica and thought they could afford to rest her as I think she normally starts.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I thought the “not interfering with play” thing was for when someone is miles away from the action but offside, over by the corner flag for example.

Attacker here was stood 2 yards from the goal line, 1 yard from the keeper and 1 yard from the ball but didn’t try to play the ball. Clearly involved in that play and a cause of concern / confusion for the Portuguese keeper so imo should be offside.

Disagree, she’s not affecting play, she’s not blocked any view or any player. She’s not going for the ball, and didn’t stop the keeper or defender. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

France improve as soon as they bring Dali, big mistake not starting her, probably cost them a win, can only assume they underestimated Jamaica and thought they could afford to rest her as I think she normally starts.

Yep. Seemed a strange decision to leave her out. She instantly made a difference but they were chasing the game by then.

Silly challenge by Bunny Shaw at the end. You don't go sliding in like that in that position on the pitch when you are on a booking. Gave the ref no option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Going by other decisions in the Premier League recently I totally agree.

The inconsistency is staggering.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Disagree, she’s not affecting play, she’s not blocked any view or any player. She’s not going for the ball, and didn’t stop the keeper or defender. 

In that moment the keeper doesn’t know if she’ll play it or not. It’s just unnecessarily confusing. Unless they are categorically not involved in the action (eg lying on the ground on the opposite side) then give it offside. We’re just going to get more and more how involved do you have to be to be involved scenarios. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Anyone watching the NZL game, no way was that offside, she actually already struck the ball when it was checked.

Yes, she looked onside to me. Also, the Filipino goalie seems to be getting a free pass on time wasting. You could even hear the crowd counting out the time the goalie has the ball in her hands.

Yup, didn't look offside.

According to the Swedish commentator this was the first time since Brazil beat China in 2007 that a host team lost a group stage game. 

Â