Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

who's been following this? i had the game v china on and the lionesses looked decent in that, before that i had seen the highlights in other games and it was 1-0 type wins....probbaly won't catch the game tommorow as its an early kickoff, was reading in the papers that the pubs have been disappointed at the turnouts for the tournament so far, they were hoping that now the knockouts are approaching the pubs will be busier.

problem is the games are quite early still. they showed boxpark in shoreditch the other day on tv and whilst it wasnt quiet it was a lot less packed than for the mens teams and also its a different demographic, a lot more kid-friendly and less lager, more food, it was good to see others interested in football tbh. I think the main issue though is a lot of these games are early kickoffs and on a weekday so you are naturally going to have a lower turnout than if it was European time kickoffs.

5 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

who's been following this? i had the game v china on and the lionesses looked decent in that, before that i had seen the highlights in other games and it was 1-0 type wins....probbaly won't catch the game tommorow as its an early kickoff, was reading in the papers that the pubs have been disappointed at the turnouts for the tournament so far, they were hoping that now the knockouts are approaching the pubs will be busier.

problem is the games are quite early still. they showed boxpark in shoreditch the other day on tv and whilst it wasnt quiet it was a lot less packed than for the mens teams and also its a different demographic, a lot more kid-friendly and less lager, more food, it was good to see others interested in football tbh. I think the main issue though is a lot of these games are early kickoffs and on a weekday so you are naturally going to have a lower turnout than if it was European time kickoffs.

Probably watched as much as I did the men's WC which is about maybe 5 games in total spread out over the odd minutes here and there when I've had nothing else to do.

They moved the games this morning so that the first one would fit for US TV audiences. That worked well :D US finished 2nd in their group so the Netherlands got the early game and then the US crash out in the late game...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Probably watched as much as I did the men's WC which is about maybe 5 games in total spread out over the odd minutes here and there when I've had nothing else to do.

They moved the games this morning so that the first one would fit for US TV audiences. That worked well :D US finished 2nd in their group so the Netherlands got the early game and then the US crash out in the late game...

The USWMNT really struggled in the group stages aswell iirc which surprised me as they pumped so much money into the development of their women's team over the last few tournaments. I can have these games on in the background when im working from home and not on calls too so going to try and watch more of the knockout stages, it does seem like a lot of the big teams/favourites for the trophy at the start of the tournament have been knocked out though! Could see a team emerge from left field to claim it, kind of like Euro 2004 when greece won!

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

The USWMNT really struggled in the group stages aswell iirc which surprised me as they pumped so much money into the development of their women's team over the last few tournaments. I can have these games on in the background when im working from home and not on calls too so going to try and watch more of the knockout stages, it does seem like a lot of the big teams/favourites for the trophy at the start of the tournament have been knocked out though! Could see a team emerge from left field to claim it, kind of like Euro 2004 when greece won!

I had Spain as favorites before the WC and they still look strong. They got obliterated by Japan thou who I'm sure will run circles around Sweden.

Feels like the powerhouses of old, Germany, US, Sweden, Norway... have struggled to adapt to the modern game. They look cumbersome, less technical and slow compared to the best nations now.

Should add that my knowledge of the women's game these days is very low. 15-20-25 years ago I was much more interested.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, sne said:

640.png

Easy :D 

It's very difficult to see if the whole of the ball has crossed the whole of the line. Her goal is being reported as having crossed it by just a few millimetres but I think we need to have more zoom in for this image above to be abke to see that and maybe a bit better picture quality.

1 minute ago, robby b said:

It's very difficult to see if the whole of the ball has crossed the whole of the line. Her goal is being reported as having crossed it by just a few millimetres but I think we need to have more zoom in for this image above to be abke to see that and maybe a bit better picture quality.

Nah, who cares. Sweden won.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Nah, who cares. Sweden won.

😅 Lol. Oh don't get me wrong, I wanted Sweden to win. 🙂 Maybe the goalline technology people can zoom in more than we can, to see the few "millimetres". Or perhaps they have better vision than me !

• Like 1

Just now, robby b said:

😅 Lol. Oh don't get me wrong, I wanted Sweden to win. 🙂 Maybe the goalline technology people can zoom in more than we can, to see the few "millimetres". Or perhaps they have better vision than me !

Obviously bias here as Sweden won. On a general note I always want the goal to stand if it's about millimeters for offsides or in this case goal line tech. Just wrong IMO to rule out goals on such fine margins that even modern tech are not sure about.

• Like 1

Â