Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Stonewall I thought. Shocking penalty

I missed the situation and only saw the last replay from a strange angle. On that replay it looked to be both outside the box and the hands against the body. 

Sure they will show the replay from other angles later. Had the TV on in the background so didn't see it happening live.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Don't think America will win it this time, end of their cycle of winning.

England got 2-3 big injuries but first 11 is still very good. Could play Australia early in knock outs I think.

Will actually go for the Aussies to make home advantage count. Sam Kerr is arguably best striker in this competition, certainly the one at peak so that should take them a long way if rest of side is solid.

Really cool to see a major tournament played in Australasia. 

And she’s just injured herself warming up 😬

Hopefully only missing the first couple of matches. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

I missed the situation and only saw the last replay from a strange angle. On that replay it looked to be both outside the box and the hands against the body. 

Sure they will show the replay from other angles later. Had the TV on in the background so didn't see it happening live.

100% half the body that handled it  in the box and hand was parallel waist height. Soon as I saw replay was stonewall 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

100% half the body that handled it  in the box and hand was parallel waist height. Soon as I saw replay was stonewall 

Sure it was correct, will watch some replays later. Handball rule is 100% random thou so nothing is ever stonewall. 

Good end to the game. At about 60 minutes it very much looked like Ireland were going to go quietly into the night etc, but they managed to rouse themselves and create a bit of havoc in the final stages. Whoever it was who kept trying to score direct from corners was doing a good job, that might actually work against a side with a worse keeper. The young lass who came on, Larkin I think?, looked absolutely fearless but also didn't ever really have control of the ball, but they need someone like that to try and make things happen because before the penalty they were very pedestrian IMO. 

Australia didn't look all that; I'm sure they'll be a different proposition if and when Kerr gets back, but even then they'll need to supply her so a bit of a concern that their final ball choices were mostly very poor. Great penalty though. 

NZ win still sinking in. Night and day from last time I saw them play overseas last year and looked embarrassing. Media been trying to big it up for weeks and everyone having passing interest. This is massive result for the women's game in NZ and public attention. Incredible. Kind of reminds me of being in Dublin when Ireland beat Pakistan in cricket WC

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

NZ win still sinking in. Night and day from last time I saw them play overseas last year and looked embarrassing. Media been trying to big it up for weeks and everyone having passing interest. This is massive result for the women's game in NZ and public attention. Incredible. Kind of reminds me of being in Dublin when Ireland beat Pakistan in cricket WC

Saw an article by a Swedish journalist who had a colleague there who was trying to find a bar to watch the game at and went into a bar that was absolutely packed. Turns out it was a music quiz...

They had the game on in the background thou and most people turned their attention to the telly when they scored.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Saw an article by a Swedish journalist who had a colleague there who was trying to find a bar to watch the game at and went into a bar that was absolutely packed. Turns out it was a music quiz...

They had the game on in the background thou and most people turned their attention to the telly when they scored.

Lol we do love our pub quizzes

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Good end to the game. At about 60 minutes it very much looked like Ireland were going to go quietly into the night etc, but they managed to rouse themselves and create a bit of havoc in the final stages. Whoever it was who kept trying to score direct from corners was doing a good job, that might actually work against a side with a worse keeper. The young lass who came on, Larkin I think?, looked absolutely fearless but also didn't ever really have control of the ball, but they need someone like that to try and make things happen because before the penalty they were very pedestrian IMO. 

Australia didn't look all that; I'm sure they'll be a different proposition if and when Kerr gets back, but even then they'll need to supply her so a bit of a concern that their final ball choices were mostly very poor. Great penalty though. 

I Think the occasion maybe got to the Aussies and probably why couldnt get going

That corner taker is obviously a big MacPhee fan 😂

• Haha 1

This “explanation of decisions” is so pointless. It isn’t an explanation. They just say what they did. “After on field review, my decision is penalty”. Well…yes…we can see that

• Like 1

Â