Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

I wouldn't be surprised if there is pressure from above for Russo to start up front, the powers that be want the women's game to resemble the men's game as much as possible for commercial reasons, so you see a bias towards top six in the women's game, most famous example being Man City fast tracked into the WSL and the famous Doncaster Belles being kicked out to make way, Man Utd entered the Championship immediatley after being formed, Sunderland were demoted from WSL despite finishing seventh, they were actually demoted two divisions, this was same time their men's team were relegated to League One, West Ham replaced them they had been playing in third division.

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Zero7 said:

Haiti robbed by corrupt officials, at leat two nailed on pens not given. 

The first one, the header, not for me. But the second one, where the Chinese woman expertly clotheslined her about three feet away from the ball? How the **** was that not given? :D

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Great result! Now "just" got to draw with Brazil . . . 

Indeed, historic, very proud of them.

At least our best player is back from suspension against Brazil.

Kadijah Shaw, Man City player.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Perhaps Spain would rather finish second and face Switzerland, rather than Norway?   :)

Not a crazy suggestion, but I think if they were trying to lose they'd try not to lose 4-0. 

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not a crazy suggestion, but I think if they were trying to lose they'd try not to lose 4-0. 

Not so much 'trying' to lose, just not motivated to win, and strolling a bit too much. 

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

They're not quite dead yet, but Canada have surely been the most massive disappointment of this World Cup so far. 

I saw something about how atrociously Canada football is run. For the women at least, not sure if it's the same for the men. 

Basically absolutely no money. They've been forced to bring fewer players and staff to training camps because they couldn't afford it, they've negotiated really crap sponsorship deals, and they tried to go on strike not so long ago but were legally forced to abandon it.

All this after winning a gold medal at the olympics.

So I'd imagine it's pretty safe to say their heart isn't in it at the moment

• Like 1

I had no idea there was a world cup going on. I feel bad.

There's been so little coverage. I've not seen anything on my social media etc

Might watch a few games this week

If I'm reading England line-up right looks like Daly starting in attack, both her and Russo Start, looks like it might be a 442,. Really hope Nobbs gets some minutes, there was a lot of talk that she might be starting with Walsh's injury, but that hasn't happened, to be fair Zelem coming in made more sense as she's a more like for like replacement.

Â