Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

Don't think America will win it this time, end of their cycle of winning.

England got 2-3 big injuries but first 11 is still very good. Could play Australia early in knock outs I think.

Will actually go for the Aussies to make home advantage count. Sam Kerr is arguably best striker in this competition, certainly the one at peak so that should take them a long way if rest of side is solid.

Really cool to see a major tournament played in Australasia. 

ALL injuries don't just apply to England a fair few countries have injuries. Sure we have lost Lean Williamson and Beth Mead. But we have gained Aston Villas  own Rachel Daly and Lauren James. Not many teams have what we have.

Spain got Putellas and Hermoso back from injuries compared to in the Euro's. That's gotta be a massive improvement for them. 2 of the best attacking players in the world.

7 minutes ago, colhint said:

ALL injuries don't just apply to England a fair few countries have injuries. Sure we have lost Lean Williamson and Beth Mead. But we have gained Aston Villas  own Rachel Daly and Lauren James. Not many teams have what we have.

I remember Daly was played at LB in the euros win and really struggled in some games. I assume she's now a permanent option at CF given her form for us.

Nice to see Jordan Nobbs back in the squad aswell, missed out the last two tournaments through injury.

Most seem to be talking up Alessio Russo starting ahead of Daly, despite Daly scoring more than twice as many goals as Russo, and winning WSL player of the season, I saw a discussion on the topic and there were claims that Russo is more creative, Russo got one assist last season, Daly got five, in terms of centre-forwards only Khadija Shaw got more assists.

I'm not saying that Daly should start for certain, of Russo has a lot of quality and is a very good player, I just don't understand why so many talk as if it's a given that Russo should be the starting forward.

We've also got Jordan Nobbs in there who's top player if she can stay fit, wouldn't be a surprise to see her come off the bench in a few games and make an impact.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Spain got Putellas and Hermoso back from injuries compared to in the Euro's. That's gotta be a massive improvement for them. 2 of the best attacking players in the world.

Yes but they hate the manager. They all pretty much went on strike. There is no togeterness , same as the French.

• Like 1

Rachel Daly, Jordan Nobbs, Kenza Dali, Daphne van Domselaar, Alisha Lehmann, and Anna Leat, are our players there, Lucy Staniforth is in the standby list for England but I'm not sure if she can be called in once the tournament starts.

13 minutes ago, colhint said:

Yes but they hate the manager. They all pretty much went on strike. There is no togeterness , same as the French.

Surely Spain have changed their manager since the last Euros. They really should've beaten England, were winning that game with 10 minutes left and dominating.

France actually have Herve Renard in charge now, was manager of Saudi Arabia in the Qatar World cup so that's quite a coup.

Morning of opening game and Auckland CBD huge armed police cordon for shooting. 24 year old construction worker with ankle bracelet monitor!!! turns up to site with shotgun shoots several people, 2 dead so far, and sounds like turned the gun on himself when police had him cornered. Very close to hotel where Norway team staying who playing opening game 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Morning of opening game and Auckland CBD huge armed police cordon for shooting. 24 year old construction worker with ankle bracelet monitor!!! turns up to site with shotgun shoots several people, 2 dead so far, and sounds like turned the gun on himself when police had him cornered. Very close to hotel where Norway team staying who playing opening game 

Yea, I was in the building across the road  heard the shots.

On topic, am going to usa vs Vietnam, hopefully should be a decent crowd.

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Giro said:

Haven’t seen a thread about it so far 

Yeah I noticed yesterday that even going back several pages there was no sign of a women's football thread.

It speaks for itself really, in that despite the efforts to make women's football seem equal to men's by comparing records etc, it isn't and doesn't need to be treated as such.

If people want to watch it then they will and I hope they enjoy it, but for me it's so many levels below even mens non league that I just dont it interesting in the slightest. 

As I say, if people want to watch it then it's up to them but it's clear given the lack of threads across football forums that despite the best efforts of the media, women's football isn't the big deal they are trying to make it out to be.

Enjoy the tournament but I'll be watching pre seasons friendlies instead. :)

Â