Well it's a take I suppose?

Wurzel

It's important to note that the Premier League are not the only ones to blame for football becoming lop-sided. La Liga are absolutely solely responsible for the diminishing finances and power of their league. They genuinely only care about Barca and Madrid (more than the Prem cares about the Big 6). Their TV deal rules means that they get 3-4x the TV money that anyone but Atletico gets (and this has been a SIGNIFICANT improvement compared to 10 years ago, where it was more like 10x).

I'd be willing to bet that even if the Prem wasn't soaking up all of the money (which they are. they are undoubtedly a super league, not arguing against that), La Liga would still be financially lopsided and losing big names and figures to whoever would be the alternative Big League.

I'm not familiar with Serie A, but my first impression is that similarly incompetent management also led to them essentially fumbling their great position a few decades back.

With all this considered.. why take out the incompetence of La Liga on Villa?

Edited by wishywashy

What a clown.

Football is supposed to be cyclical, so bringing the best people to your club to achieve success should be the priority. While some players and managers think they are above some leagues or clubs, the reality is far from that truth.

No real Villa fan would say that Emery, Monchi etc are better than AV.

• Like 1

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of unrest when the likes of Villa start troubling the top four on a regular basis and competing to sign top players.

There's a whole generation of football fans whose default is Villa??....they're sh@t!

They just cant process it, so have to put things like that picture down to the money in the PL or other reasons.

Edited by MarkLillis

Was trying to work out who this guy actually supports? A few tweets down and he's saying how brilliant Man. City are. But then a week or so he's loving us signing Pau Torres?

There is certainly a bit of imposter syndrome with Villa fans sometimes.

Classic example was us signing Tielemans and a few on here saying does that mean Luiz is leaving, like we're not allowed more than one good player in the same position sometimes.

Guess it's a symptom of not winning anything significant for nearly 30 years now.

That post is making it out like they are some of Europe's biggest names, but are they really that huge? As good as Emery is and as excited as I am for Torres and Monchi, it's not like we've shocked Europe by getting them.

If you look at these signings objectively (even a tad pessimistically) they don't seem that outlandish;

- Emery has had two bites at the apple at the "top" level, and has arguably failed both times. The fact his most successful spells have come at Valencia, Sevilla and Villarreal would suggest a club like Villa is exactly where his level should be.

- Monchi spent his entire playing career and, with the exception of a 3-year period between 2016 and 2019 when he left for Roma, got fired after 10 months then spent two years unemployed, his entire post-playing career with Sevilla - 11 years as a player, 20 as a DoF. There are serious doubts over whether he can be successful outside of Sevilla, which is probably why he went back there after his Roma spell as no-one esle seemed interested. Him coming here is a big risk for us and him.

- Torres is highly rated yes, but has spent his entire career at Villarreal (who by the way are tiny. Half of Villarreal could fit inside their stadium and the club is the definition of punching above their weight). At 26 having not played at a higher level raises doubts over his ability to reach a higher level. Yes he was linked with some of the biggest names in Europe, but if he was so good, why wasn't he snapped up a couple of years ago? And it's not like we beat any of those clubs to get him, by all accounts we only got him because Bayern passed on him. He's played in Europe, but just one season in the Champions League which Villarreal were in "only" because they won the Europa League - performance wise they're basically Villa from the 90s/00s if they took Europe more seriously.

I'm not trying to suggest these guys are shit or anything, as I said, I'm excited for them and what this season holds, but it's not like we snagged Zidane and Militao (plus the DoF equivalent). I wonder if he felt the same way when Ancelotti and James went to Everton? That was way "worse" than us getting these three.

If Alemany had joined I could see the argument with him, it would be absurd for us to poach a DoF from Barcelona even with their financial situation.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

We should all bow down to these massive footballing GODS who obviously been at the forefront of the game since it was invented, and who must have won everything that ever existed!

Except in 2003/2004 Man City were in the Championship (then 1st Div) under Kevin Keegan, with Shaun Goater leading the line. 

All these clubs get money and start revising their own place in history. It sickens me.   

3 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Well I would say that this is cyclical surely, back in the 90's Italian football was the place to be, so I'm not sure the person knows his football history.

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

Nothing in his point of view is valid. I think the point he is trying to make, like a lot of people, is that the premier league is too dominant and the tradition super powers like Milan, Juve, Barcelona and Munich aren't able to compete anymore. It's all complete BS of course. Football changes all the time, in the 90's Italian football was the super league, now it's the premier league. Change is a good thing not a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

What a clown.

Football is supposed to be cyclical, so bringing the best people to your club to achieve success should be the priority. While some players and managers think they are above some leagues or clubs, the reality is far from that truth.

No real Villa fan would say that Emery, Monchi etc are better than AV.

It's not really that cyclical though, is it?  The financial power of the Premier League has been overpowering other European leagues for some time and that pull is bigger than ever before.  Obviously that's great for Aston Villa.

I do wonder if people would be happy with the "cyclical" nature of football if the Saudi League managed to garner enough influence and spending power to pull Emery, Monchi et al away from Villa and to, say, Al Hilal.  Would we all be so celebratory of the cycle?

Just now, bobzy said:

It's not really that cyclical though, is it?  The financial power of the Premier League has been overpowering other European leagues for some time and that pull is bigger than ever before.  Obviously that's great for Aston Villa.

I do wonder if people would be happy with the "cyclical" nature of football if the Saudi League managed to garner enough influence and spending power to pull Emery, Monchi et al away from Villa and to, say, Al Hilal.  Would we all be so celebratory of the cycle?

I think Emery and Monchi have a little bit more integrity than selling their professionalism to the highest bidder.

Anyone going to Saudi is basically giving up on their career.

Just now, QldVilla said:

I think Emery and Monchi have a little bit more integrity than selling their professionalism to the highest bidder.

Anyone going to Saudi is basically giving up on their career.

I sort of agree... but I also think Emery has come here because he gets a) paid incredibly handsomely and b) has been promised a large amount of money to spend.  It's the money that makes the most noise.

I don't think he's here because Aston Villa won the European Cup in 1982 and because of what a great English traditional club they are.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I sort of agree... but I also think Emery has come here because he gets a) paid incredibly handsomely and b) has been promised a large amount of money to spend.  It's the money that makes the most noise.

I don't think he's here because Aston Villa won the European Cup in 1982 and because of what a great English traditional club they are.

I don’t think he would have gone to Burnley with the same wages and money available to spend either. 

Totally agree the money is the biggest pull. But it is playing down the potential this club has.

Has he not watched football the last 20 years? It's dog eat dog, and when you start eating the rules are changed.

We don't have long before football is taken away totally and that's already started with City and Saudi cheating FFP. It's not a fair game.

If he doesn't want to watch I hope he isn't taking a seat up at Villa Park.

Close the thread ffs.