Well it's a take I suppose?

Wurzel

I came across this tweet this morning and I must admit I'm struggling to see the point of view, but as it is the summer and we have time on our hands is there an argument for what this chap is saying?

Personally I don't think so, it is exactly the aim of the football pyramid for clubs to rise and fall over time. Anyway not sure if anyone will be interested in commenting but can anyone see anything in this point of view that is valid?

• Haha 1

I'm not sure why, as a Villa fan, the OP has put this. Obviously has sat there and thought 'what can I tweet that will whip up a few replies and interactions'. 

Typical Twitter, it's why I don't use it, people just put up shit to harbour any kind of attention they can get. 

• Like 3

I can see the point he is trying to make, it’s more about the sheer power of the PL now that with the exception of Barca, Real Madrid and possibly Atletico, we are able to go and take pretty much what we want from those leagues.

I just don’t get the nastiness in the responses tbh, from people who are more than old enough to know better as well.

He words seems to imply that they are to good for "little Aston Villa". He's wrong! He's probably just fishing for comments. Where does he think they should be? If in Spain, perhaps Lineker, Bale, Beckham, Cunningham, Hughes, McManaman, Owen, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables, shouldn't have moved from England to Spain either?  

27 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Anyway not sure if anyone will be interested in commenting but can anyone see anything in this point of view that is valid?

Nothing in his point of view is valid. I think the point he is trying to make, like a lot of people, is that the premier league is too dominant and the tradition super powers like Milan, Juve, Barcelona and Munich aren't able to compete anymore. It's all complete BS of course. Football changes all the time, in the 90's Italian football was the super league, now it's the premier league. Change is a good thing not a bad thing. 

8 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I can see the point he is trying to make.

I don't see the point. If we played Villareal or Sevilla (clubs associated with those 3 big names) we would probably be favourites. 

Sure, they played CL football recently, but so did Sheriff Tiraspol or Copenhagen. 

The sporting level of the PL is simply higher, and I would wager a club like Crystal Palace would be fighting for top 6/7 places in Spain.

will become a cliche soon....the PL is the super league

that's why they are here, we have 3 genuine CL level people at a club who were what 16th before unai came? you could class us as mid table anyway

thats the point that i think he's trying to make, the pull of the PL is villa's gain but its detrimental to everyone else in europe

safe to say....**** em UTV

Maybe if the rest of Europe didn’t back their top clubs then there would be a more even distribution of wealth in those leagues instead the likes of Bayern, Real and Barca who had the biggest tv deals and to hell with the rest of the respective league.

I think he is seriously underplaying the potential of Aston Villa have and maybe over playing how big Emery and Monchi are.

The word sleeping giant is branded a lot but the largest club by far in the Second city of England that were also European Cup winners in relatively recent history 

Unai and Monchi, great at their jobs and renounced around Europe but have done it with clubs of similar size and status to us, not really for any of the traditional big boys. Same with Tores to an extent.

So whilst I get where he is trying to come from. His tweet is silly.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The word sleeping giant is branded a lot but the largest club by far in the Second city of England that were also European Cup winners in relatively recent history 

It was 41 years ago, I wouldn't say it was recent.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

He’s an idiot!

I could make cases citing club size, stature, history, legacy, fan base, potential fan base (second city) etc etc, but in the end.....indeed, he's an idiot. 

• Like 1

I think his wider point definitely has merit as this sport at the top level is pretty gross these days, but making it specific to Villa makes it an incendiary one that comes across more as a dig at his own club rather than football generally. It also just underplays Villa, I think the fact this point can even be made just shows how poorly managed the 2010s was by the club.