Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

5 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Actually in those two terrible seasons, 85-6 and 86-7 we were wearing the hideous henson kit without a badge... Returned to the round badge for the promotion season (87/8) and then finishing second under GT in 1989-90 (and still had the round badge when we finished second in the first premier league season under BFR)... 😁

eaZxxpavrkc8BSA-small.jpg

Who would have thought this would be positively gorgeous compared to the first Hummel non-Villa kit.

I like the drop shadow effect 😬

Obviously I don't have my finger on the pulse of what is cool and relevant in the world of graphic design.

However it makes the lion pop off the badge, giving it a slight 3d effect and breaking up the yellow on blue which would blend together far too much otherwise 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The one thing abundantly clear in 2022 was that people wanted more claret.

I don't like claret on the badge.  Sorry!

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Not that I disagree exactly, but many seem to forget after winning the European Cup there was also a period where we were largely rubbish and ultimately got relegated, all with a round crest.

It's almost like the shape of a crest doesn't dictate how good we are, and as is human nature we sometimes just like to remember the best bits.

I accept that a round crest is something some fans will always want, but from a branding perspective, at the moment, it's overused in our market and so it's a sub-optimum choice at this time.

In fairness I was saying it tongue in cheek. I don't really care too much about the badge design, we'll get used to it whatever it is

6 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Well as a graphic designer maybe you should be aware that most of the western world is reliving the 90's including fashion, music and culture so not that crazy that the badge has some throw back elements to it.

It looks fine. Its not horrible enough to worry about and not amazing enough to salivate over.

Sarcastic sod. I am aware. I'm also aware that such trends are short-lived and you cannot create a crest based on a short lived fads.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How do people feel about the badge not containing any claret? 

I think it's fine.

The border is claret, the name is claret, and it will sit on a claret background on the shirt, and it's designed primarily to sit on the shirt. I think the Lerner badge being mostly blue looked nicer on a claret and blue shirt than the current West Ham badge which is majority claret.

There are clubs all over the world who have logos that don't match their primary shirt colour. It's not the end of the world, and it's about how it works as a package.

22 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The one thing abundantly clear in 2022 was that people wanted more claret.

You don't need to go back to 2022, in the survey results that the club sent out in October 2023

Visually striking and recognisable... 60% believe that whilst the new crest should be claret and blue, it should also be visually striking and recognisable

**** you, you're having yellow and blue again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting article here about the new badge, the wider rebrand and our approach to corporate partners: https://www.marketingweek.com/aston-villa-club-rebrand/

‘We’re cleaning it up’: Inside Aston Villa’s top to bottom club rebrand  

Fresh from qualifying for next season’s Champions League, Aston Villa is embarking on a complete club rebrand in a bid to go global.....

Edited by blandy
extract added
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

An absolute **** joke, somehow manages to be worse than the Lerner badge and through a complete disregard for the fan exercise, a slap in the face of the fanbase.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â