Saudi Pro League

tomav84

Golf has more prestige/history with its majors/Ryder Cup etc than football has with its competitions, and the players probably have more morals than 99% of the footballers playing now. 

If they offer more money, the players will go.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Keep believing that, I'm sure the PGA thought the same.

the PGA is nothing like football though, the ownership and voting structure is completely different

what competition(s) do you think this superleague is replacing? the only one I see possible is FIFA making a play for UEFA's CL and in order to get the support to do that FIFA would have to make it open to everyone in order to secure the votes, the PL would still remain 

UEFA merge with the Saudis to make a closed shop super league....you think the 56 UEFA members vote to agree on that? or if they gave that vote to the clubs which form the UEFA committee, which includes villa, would vote for that?

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Someone read the BBC article... ;) 

Not sure I follow mate. What BBC article?

My dad follows Al Hilal so I know more than I care to about Saudi football. Fans there are super passionate.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the PGA is nothing like football though, the ownership and voting structure is completely different

what competition(s) do you think this superleague is replacing? the only one I see possible is FIFA making a play for UEFA's CL and in order to get the support to do that FIFA would have to make it open to everyone in order to secure the votes, the PL would still remain 

UEFA merge with the Saudis to make a closed shop super league....you think the 56 UEFA members vote to agree on that? or if they gave that vote to the clubs which form the UEFA committee, which includes villa, would vote for that?

You think the Saudi's need UEFA's permission to start a Super League? 🤣

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I could see Saudi buying the Champions league and moving it lock stock and barrel to Saudi - so all group games, the knockouts, semi-finals and final would be played there.

maybe, almost definitely this super cup super weekend will be there very soon

but a closed shop? who in UEFA's committee is voting for that?

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You think the Saudi's need UEFA's permission to start a Super League? 🤣

no, UEFA would need permission to join it...

like I said, which competition does this replace? the CL? that has to be voted on, the PL? has to be voted on

why would a team that isnt going to take part in this super league vote to approve that another team can go take part?

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

no, UEFA would need permission to join it...

like I said, which competition does this replace? the CL? that has to be voted on, the PL? has to be voted on

why would a team that isnt going to take part in this super league vote to approve that another team can go take part?

What part of 'breakaway' do you not understand?  Why does a breakaway league need to be voted on? 

I don't think the Saudis are trying to improve their "Pro League" which is the equivalent to our EFL division two. Only one of their teams (Al Ittihad) has a decent attendance of just under 40,000. The next best is 16,000 then two teams have 12,000, one 8,000 and the rest have 6,000 or less.

This sudden attempt to buy top named players for big money and huge wages is not about football, it's about gaining considerable financial leverage in the biggest most successful football league in world football. The fact that "PIF" have now shown that they are in deed acting on behalf of the Saudi state by taking control of the top four Saudi clubs should immediately disqualify them as fit and proper owners of Newcastle Utd, as they gave a legal undertaking that they were totally independent of Saudi state control. This is now obviously untrue. The PL should act to rectify their mistaken trust in PIF. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't think the Saudis are trying to improve their "Pro League" which is the equivalent to our EFL division two. Only one of their teams (Al Ittihad) has a decent attendance of just under 40,000. The next best is 16,000 then two teams have 12,000, one 8,000 and the rest have 6,000 or less.

This sudden attempt to buy top named players for big money and huge wages is not about football, it's about gaining considerable financial leverage in the biggest most successful football league in world football. The fact that "PIF" have now shown that they are in deed acting on behalf of the Saudi state by taking control of the top four Saudi clubs should immediately disqualify them as fit and proper owners of Newcastle Utd, as they gave a legal undertaking that they were totally independent of Saudi state control. This is now obviously untrue. The PL should act to rectify their mistaken trust in PIF. 

They won't though, didn't the UK government push the deal for Newcastle through?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

A closed shop?

As in no qualification, set teams picked at the saudis discretion, I just don't see that ever happening

If its an open competition where the CL is replaced by a global competition funded by the saudis and most importantly - backed by FIFA - then yeah maybe, club world cup I completely see being held there

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

What part of 'breakaway' do you not understand?  Why does a breakaway league need to be voted on? 

The bit where that's the same as golf...

If it doesn't have a governing body as its partner it's a non starter

Overall I just find the idea that the saudis are coming for football and in the near future all the top table clubs will abandon European football to go play a competition there is knicker wetting and highly unrealistic

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As in no qualification, set teams picked at the saudis discretion, I just don't see that ever happening

Ah, me either - but I can for example imagine all of the knockout stages of all of the UEFA competitions happening in Saudi.

Gary Neville has called on the Premier League to stop the transfer of players to Saudi Arabia until it is certain the integrity of its competition is not being put at risk.

It’s going to be funny watching Neville change his tune when he’s on their payroll.

link

The sky 6 PL clubs don't get permission to play in the Saudi super league.

Saudi offers them more money than the PL prize money for finishing first.

They abandon the PL and go and play on Saudi.

This scenario is surely possible. A new club rises from the stadium ashes left behind that is made up of the players that didn't want to go. The government have some rules on cultural heritage associated with clubs don't they, so maybe this can't happen legally and they have to set up the new club in Saudi... but will Saudi pay the money for a club that isn't really Man United?

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The sky 6 PL clubs don't get permission to play in the Saudi super league.

Saudi offers them more money than the PL prize money for finishing first.

They abandon the PL and go and play on Saudi.

This scenario is surely possible. A new club rises from the stadium ashes left behind that is made up of the players that didn't want to go. The government have some rules on cultural heritage associated with clubs don't they, so maybe this can't happen legally and they have to set up the new club in Saudi... but will Saudi pay the money for a club that isn't really Man United?

They do.

It'll be changed and Saudi will be allowed to take them if they want. The government needs Saudi money just as much as Chelsea.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If its an open competition where the CL is replaced by a global competition funded by the saudis and most importantly - backed by FIFA - then yeah maybe, club world cup I completely see being held there

The bit where that's the same as golf...

If it doesn't have a governing body as its partner it's a non starter

Overall I just find the idea that the saudis are coming for football and in the near future all the top table clubs will abandon European football to go play a competition there is knicker wetting and highly unrealistic

It doesn’t have to be achieved the same was as the golf, but the outcome will be the same. The Saudis owning the sport.

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

The Saudis getting their fingers in lots of things recently, WWE, Golf and Football to start, sure basketball and NFL will be on the horizon.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver have floated the idea that they will allow state owned clubs. Pretty much an invite for Saudi, Qatar and so on to buy in to the league.

Â