Saudi Pro League

tomav84

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m really not too concerned, as has been mentioned, other leagues have tried this approach and it’s not really worked out long term. 

One thing money cannot buy is culture, after a year or two of playing in front of soulless crowds for soulless trophies it’ll start to hit home and the allure will wear thin.

By that point they'll be playing in a World Super League along with the best teams in Europe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m really not too concerned, as has been mentioned, other leagues have tried this approach and it’s not really worked out long term. 

One thing money cannot buy is culture, after a year or two of playing in front of soulless crowds for soulless trophies it’ll start to hit home and the allure will wear thin.

I don't like this whole thing as much as the next person, but one thing Saudi football isn't is soulless.

Regular people care about football and are really passionate about it. The fans are loud, from the supporter perspective it's a good league. 

From the sporting merit, much less so.  

• Like 2

It's hard to try to figure out how they'll do this - ultimately the mission is to 'own' sports in Saudi Arabia - and I don't think you can rule anything out in terms of that.

I mean with these guys just about anything is possible - take the Premier League's top ten teams, base them in Saudi then add another six from Europe and the Saudi big four?

Make the Saudi league the pinnacle of competition, so that teams play their domestic football then if the players are good enough, they get elected for Saudi teams for four months a year - sort of like the Indian cricket leagues or central contracts with the ECB?

Anything could happen and none of it looks good to me.

Leave ‘em to it , I couldn’t care less , players will go for more money than there already infinite money (in normal human terms) to play in front of more people with more oil money , all of it to me feels dirty,

it’s an unsustainable model, at the end of the day it’s still in Saudi Arabia , teams with no history housing a few show ponies , literally no one is watching that crap, I don’t care if it’s the best players in the world (eventually) I care about history, heritage and the beautiful game. This is greed, players who clearly give no f8cks and a bunch of oil pricks colosseum, no history , just fluff . In Saudi it’s great for the football fans there , everyone else will probably just see it as a bit meh

Hate it

Edited by Villarcana

2 minutes ago, sne said:

You can just visualise the 2 "creative writers" that compose the Football Insider workforce patting themselves on the back for coming up with this one. Guaranteed interactions.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Haha 1

I wonder how the transfers work - does Kante's agent get an offer from Al-Hilal to consider, or does the offer come direct from PIF - if it's PIF does he then select which of the clubs he wants to play for or do they place him in one of them as a way to create balance for sporting reasons?

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wonder how the transfers work - does Kante's agent get an offer from Al-Hilal to consider, or does the offer come direct from PIF - if it's PIF does he then select which of the clubs he wants to play for or do they place him in one of them as a way to create balance for sporting reasons?

I think I was reading somewhere that in the last month, reps from those teams were based somewhere and they would invite the players and their agents to discuss with all the Saudi teams. It sounds to me that it’s PIF with the clubs reps and they speak with PIF and choose whatever team maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

By that point they'll be playing in a World Super League along with the best teams in Europe.

what world super league would that be? they cant even get a european super league

they'll buy the world cup, they'll buy the club world cup, they'll no doubt buy a CL final, they might buy some PL games...they wont buy a super league, at best they'll kick start a CL alternative but get the popcorn out of that one as UEFA wont give up their cash cow easily 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What if they end up playing for these Saudi teams against PSG, Chelsea, Man City, Madrid, etc... in the Euro-Asian Super League?

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what world super league would that be? they cant even get a european super league

they'll buy the world cup, they'll buy the club world cup, they'll no doubt buy a CL final, they might buy some PL games...they wont buy a super league, at best they'll kick start a CL alternative but get the popcorn out of that one as UEFA wont give up their cash cow easily 

The one they breakaway and form with the Saudi's bankrolling it?

I'm a little worried about all this given what's happened with them effectively buying golf. 

Players earn a lot of money but it is feasible that they start offering even more obscene amounts of cash to make them go and play there. 

A similar outcome to golf would be if top players (in their prime) start going there, causing a split in the game and then the eventual outcome being there would be a world super league where Fifa /UEFA/ the Saudis all merge as one. 

As long as Villa stay out of it, I couldn't care less. I just want to watch us play at Villa Park 19 times a season. 

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I'm a little worried about all this given what's happened with them effectively buying golf. 

Players earn a lot of money but it is feasible that they start offering even more obscene amounts of cash to make them go and play there. 

A similar outcome to golf would be if top players (in their prime) start going there, causing a split in the game and then the eventual outcome being there would be a world super league where Fifa /UEFA/ the Saudis all merge as one. 

As long as Villa stay out of it, I couldn't care less. I just want to watch us play at Villa Park 19 times a season. 

So you're willing to sell your soul for cup games, I see? :detect:

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think that's fair.  I've no problem with Saudi Arabia gobbling up the best players from around the World and the Asian Champions League becoming the new major force in World football - that's all fine, good luck to them.

My only concern is with "FFP" in this country.

I also think that most Villa fans would be delighted if we sold Coutinho to a Saudi club for £50m.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why are you assuming Saudi Arabia has no football heritage? Al Hilal is the most successful Asian club in history.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Why are you assuming Saudi Arabia has no football heritage? Al Hilal is the most successful Asian club in history.

Someone read the BBC article... ;) 

Â