Youri Tielemans

thejoker

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He needs football in order to get sharpness - but without the sharpness, he's a liability.

It's a conundrum - I think he'll have to start next week in the Conference game, but if he plays badly in that one, he find life biomes very difficult.

The thing is, if we dont win next Thurs then the other 4 games become critical. And we will have to play our first team regardless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He needs football in order to get sharpness - but without the sharpness, he's a liability.

It's a conundrum - I think he'll have to start next week in the Conference game, but if he plays badly in that one, he find life biomes very difficult.

I'm not sure. This seems a direct continuation of his Leicester form. This might well just be what he is now. 

• Like 1

It was a slightly strange signing to me to begin with, one because he'd been out of form for a while, and that bad form wasn't just last season, it was the season before too, as I remember looking on Leicester forum when we and Arsenal were linked last summer and none of them seemed to be bothered that he might be leaving and the general consenus seemed to be that he'd been out of form since they won the FA Cup.

But not only that, he doesn't suit us positionally either, his bad form coincided with Leicester moving him into a deeper position, when he was doing well he was playing advanced centrally, but we don't play with attacking central midfielders, and he's not really suited to playing as a wide midfielder either, he doesn't suit our system, as I said when we signed him he's like a better version of Henri Lansbury, very good technically, good passer, good at set-pieces, but he's not going to protect the defence if you play him in either Luiz or Kamara role, and he's not going to do what Ramsey or McGinn can do as wide midfielders, his best position would be ahead of Kamara and Luiz in a three man midfield, but we don't line-up like that.

Only positive I can think off is that it's still very early in his Villa career, he's played less than five games worth of football for us, so it's a way before the usual or expected time.to be writing him off, he is capable of playing well, and hopefully we can make use of that within our system, the problem is as above even if he does improve, I don't think he really suits us, so I'm not sure he's ever going to be that useful other than maybe as a sub to bring on in games that we're maybe winning and need some to help us keep the ball to close the game out.

And on today specifically, he wasn't the only one, was a very bad performance all round, like baffingly bad from most of the players.

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Would very very happily cash in in Jan for the FFP benefits. Surely we could at least get £10m for him. 

I doubt it, he's collecting massive wages and is playing poorly. He won't want to go to earn less money, and I can't see teams wanting to pay him what he asks for, let alone a buying price on top of that.

Unless it's Saudi, maybe...

The only role I could see him producing results is basically as a substitute role like against Crystal Palace. 

When the opponent has backed off and sits in a low block with no intention to press, his passing and set pieces and long shots could prove useful. 

Otherwise, any team that shows up will run circles around him. He’s a liability building out of the press and out of possession. 

Edited by DJBOB

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not great. He did play a fairly important part in the turnaround against Palace, so it’s not been all bad. But he’s not providing too much of a headache when it comes to team selection.

He was crap in that as well. Exactly has he has been.

Made the one excellent pass and was otherwise very poor.

Concerning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Tielemans will prove to be a useful squad player. It's a long season. He'll continue to learn from Emery and make a net positive contribution this campaign.

Possibly true.

Sometimes easy to forget we are not even a fifth of the way into the season yet.

Players and the team will adapt and get better at different times etc.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

a downgrade on Sanson

Jeez, when you put it like that we have shot ourselves in the foot. Badly.

Another huge retirement contract handed out.

In January we'll still owe him around £25m in wages. Won't be easy to not make a loss for quite a while.

He needs to have a look at himself and buck the **** up.

His wages of over £125k are why Watkins' agents will be asking for the world. They could ask for double whatever Tielemans is on based on use to the side.

Count me on this one not working out. 

Pau, Diaby, Zaniolo will all be good for us. 

Tielemans will be moved onto a slower and less physical league. Ironic the Sanson comparisons because it’s the same problems. Slow, unathletic and too easily bullied on and off the ball. 

Edited by DJBOB

On 06/06/2023 at 06:46, rodders0223 said:

He's a bit if a quandary for a lot of clubs this summer.

On the one hand he's got pedigree experience is a good age and was once a very capable performer.

On the other hand he's an absolute dumpling, has gone backwards year on year and will be looking for 120k a week for 4 years.

I'd tread very carefully.

👏 

Coutinho MK II.

(but don't dare to criticise anything the club does anymore)

Edited by rodders0223
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He was crap in that as well. Exactly has he has been.

Made the one excellent pass and was otherwise very poor.

Concerning.

Fair enough. As a stop gap, I’ll take poor but does something particularly useful as the immediate aim and go from there.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm not sure. This seems a direct continuation of his Leicester form. This might well just be what he is now. 

this is the worry. we took a chance on him and (so far) it's not paid off

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Tielemans will prove to be a useful squad player. It's a long season. He'll continue to learn from Emery and make a net positive contribution this campaign.

He’s been pretty clear that he doesn’t want to be a squad player. 

Just such an unlikeable player. He has a lot of rebuilding to do already to win any confidence. I just can’t see this working out. 
edit: quoted wrong post

Edited by Spoony

Â