Youri Tielemans

thejoker

4 minutes ago, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

Numbers might be impressive but he was shite

Don't think it means much though, the whole squad looked poor and they were clearly in disarray

We've seen with our own players how they can go from looking hopeless to great in the right set up

Not many players looked good though. Its like saying JWP is shit because Southampton went down

Re him 'downing tools' unfortunately that's par for the course in today's game.

Benteke went on strike to move to Villa.

I remember watching Idrissa Gueye 'lightly jogging' back when Man City broke against us at Villa Park and the guy sitting next to me going nuts about it.

Anyone remember Dwight's last game?

Slightly concerning that he's seemingly done this for so long but you never know what's happened behind the scenes. Sounds like he wanted a move for a while but the club wouldn't let him. Might have been playing with an injury, who knows.

One question I would have is that, if he was angling for a big move, would you have perhaps not chosen Milan over us now? Instead it's been said he's preferred to stay in the area. Might mean priorities have changed and he wants to keep his family settled and therefore cement a new home with us rather than keep jumping to the next stepping stone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babyblue said:

Look there are a few things going on here, and not a lot of it has to do with Villa.

People are massively pi**ed off about relegation, it shouldn’t have even been on the cards let alone happen.

They are really pi**ed off with Tielemans, as his attitude the last two years has caused issues. And part of that attitude issue was caused by him seeing out his contract for what he thought was going to be a massive move away.

So for all those problems we’ve had stem from him, not just performances, also how it looks to other players etc to have someone clearly running a contract down… he’s moved to a team who finished lower than we were when we first started offering him massive new deals to sign. 

The frustration is, if you’d signed your contract two years ago and been committed, we could still potentially (maybe unlikely) be having high finishes! There was more at play than him, I’m just trying to explain peoples frustration.

In terms of Tielemans, and I’m not trying to be disrespectful here. The reason he’s ended up with you reflects on how far his performances have dropped off in the last two years. At his height for us he was getting concrete interest from clubs on the next step up the ladder. 

The only frustration aimed at Villa is that he’s taken a backwards step from where we were (not now) when we first offered him contracts! So people are thinking… all that for what!?

Those slating him aren’t wrong, he’s been poor. He really has, it’s not bitterness. BUT…  he had 18 months (his first loan season and then his second full season) where he was genuinely brilliant. 

You know when you just see a player who is on another level. They see things in a way nobody else does on the pitch and it’s just obvious. He was like that!

Nobody really knows what you’ll get. What I would say is that he’s not put any consistency together in terms of several years in his entire career. Monaco fans slated him before he joined us, and I kind of get it now. So even if he’s world class for 6 months, I’d see how it pans out long term.

Realistically, on a free you can’t go wrong really. At worst you’ve got a decent squad player for nothing. 

We understand mate, when we got relegated it was very painful. But there’s no point having a go at other teams, the fault was directly LC’s squad’s fault. That doesn’t make it easier for fans, but Villa are not the problem. It sounds like a lot of Leicester fans think that Youri was to blame maybe more than most of the squad, so they seem to begrudge him a move to another club. Would it be easier to take if he’d gone to Spurs, or if he’d signed for Chelsea, or if he’d gone abroad? What I’m saying is that where he goes isn’t the problem, his performance while he was at LC seemingly was, but blaming Villa now isn’t the solution. 

I’m sure you can see why a lot of us Villa fans see it as sour grapes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

So he's Danny Drinkwater mk. 2 yeah? That's a reasoned opinion, not even slightly tinged with bitterness?

It’s a reasoned opinion in that he’s an ex-Leicester City midfielder who was once brilliant for them and has now moved to Villa.

Drinkwater was awful for us, this bloke thinks Tielemens will be awful too.

There’s not really much other comparison out there. We just like getting wound up for no reason, apparently. 

8 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Loads of supporters from other clubs were happy to see us drop. 

Prob for the novelty of it, as much as anything else. And the fact that we stank the league out for about five years before we did go. 

Don't actually mind Lesta. A league title and FA Cup bagged in the last seven years.  And none of this 'mind the gap' nonsense we get from some of our other neighbours. Their fans give us a bit of stick when we play (as it should be). But don't have the obsessive tendencies of the other lot. 

Of course they were happy. I remember most of those clubs that booted us while we were down. "Villa are a spent force, Villa will never come back up". Confusing Villa with Lerner was their biggest mistake.

Leicester fans sang our City was blue with all their hearts in Feb....they forgot the claret part 😆 - which is why their dumb song doesn't work against us. They also wore claret in their FA Cup final 🤣 - imitation is the greatest form of flattery and all that. 

Leicester had similar redevelopment plans as us so it is brilliant they have been derailed for the time being, it allows us to grow and climb higher. Villa are the only club in the midlands!

Now I'm going to munch on some Walkers crisps in memory of the mighty Leicester...🤣

Blackburn say Hi!  😘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YLN said:

When a good player moves on a free, the player gets the expected transfer fee as a signing bonus. We didn't get him for free.

There’s no way we gave him a flat £30-40m.

At most, he’d have got somewhere around £5m. He’s also on 150k a week which makes me think the signing bonus wasn’t massive. 

• Like 2

This comment did make my laugh. The bloke looks like he’s soiled himself. 

nt: contains swearing. 

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s a reasoned opinion in that he’s an ex-Leicester City midfielder who was once brilliant for them and has now moved to Villa.

Drinkwater was awful for us, this bloke thinks Tielemens will be awful too.

There’s not really much other comparison out there. We just like getting wound up for no reason, apparently. 

There's nothing to suggest he'll be anywhere near as bad as Drinkwater. It took multiple years of rotting on Chelsea's bench and a serious injury for Drinkwater to get to be as bad as he was when he joined us. There's also the matter of him being a much better player than Drinkwater ever was. It's just hyperbole.

Â