Youri Tielemans

thejoker

Just now, ender4 said:

Does anyone know the exact role/position he played for Leicester? Is he an attacking midfielder, a playmaker, a winger, defensive midfielder?

Think Emery would see him as an option in every midfield position (except Ramsey out left maybe) - which is why we have gone for him I would guess. You wouldn’t call him a right winger but he could play the role McGinn has been, and equally a much better option to come on for Kamara than Dendoncker or Chambers. 

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Incredibly disappointed with this signing, but in Emery I trust.  

"Incredibly disappointing". Not disappointing,  "incredibly" disappointing.

What's incredibly disappointing about it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HolteExile said:

Hmm. 

These 'no brainer' free transfers aren't so if the new guy gets more than Martinez, Mings,  Ramsey, Luiz and Watkins etc. 

You very quickly have 4-5 players banging on the CEO's door looking for parity at least. So either wage bill banjaxed or a heap of unsettled players. 

I'd trust if the club have pushed for this one they know what they're doing and Emery is fully on board. He was mentioned as one of the main targets we had last summer (along with Conor Gallagher) so it's prob not a total shot in the dark from that point of view. 

But your higher wage earners should be amongst your very best players. It's not the case with Digne and Coutinho (post 2018 version we have) and I don't think this bloke comes in as an immediate upgrade for the first team either. 

You could say the same about Digne

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Why? Do you really think a 26 year old is past his best? Leicester were shambolic as a whole. You've seen what a bad manager did to our crop of players that finished 7th.

Or do you not rate the player from 2 years ago either?

Because I actually watched a lot of Leicester last season...  He was horrific.  Wasn't just a good player in a bad side (ala Idrissa Gana Gaye during his time at Villa) he didn't put forth any effort and didn't look fit most of the time.  Same story at Monaco as well, looked great upon arriving, then all their fans were happy to be rid of him.  

Anyway, doesn't matter what I think because obviously Emery rates him and has a plan for him going forward, and I have nothing but unwavering faith in Don Emery.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Based on villa social media responses it looks like he was heavily linked to galatasaray and they're not too happy about it!

In a couple of years and he'll probably end up on loan in Turkey so they can have him then

(This is a joke(hopefully))

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Clearly people haven’t watched as much of Leicester as I have. 

if you’re disappointed by this not sure there is any point in Europe for us because we need a SQUAD not just a first XI.

he’s an upgrade from our bench 100%. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Leaving Tielemans aside - Emery has made a career out of signing underwhelming players and making them fantastic. Look at his Villarreal and Sevilla lineups. It’s what he does. So if you are underwhelmed by this signing, it’s probably a good thing and it probably won’t be the last time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TomC said:

Solid player but not a significant upgrade on what we have. I'm a little surprised.

He's not supposed to be an upgrade on Luiz and Kamara he's supposed to be good enough to come in and keep us a top 8 team if one of them goes down with injury. 

For what it's worth he's produced at a higher level in terms of goals and assists in a single premier league season than any of our players bar Watkins has and those numbers have largely decreased as he's moved further back and the rest of the team has deteriorated around him and maddison. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KMitch said:

That makes no sense.

If you are Incredibly disappointed with this signing, how can your faith in Emery not be shaken?

By contrast, I am very happy.

Welcome to the Villa family, Youri. Hope you flourish here.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

I presume that this means the potential to sign Guendouzi is ended? 

You cannot play 50 odd times for Belgium and be a bad player.  Welcome Youri.  In terms of upgrading our midfield, not so sure but I guess he adds more depth to the overall quality. 

Tielemans at his best is probably better than all our other midfielders, even Kamara, of course Kamara, Luiz and Jacob all have big potential to get even better so not saying that Youri's going to be better for us than those, but he's reached heights in terms of performance at the highest level that those players haven't reached yet, in fact he's reached higher heights than most of our squad, of course could have said the same of Coutinho when he signed and even more so, but difference is Tielemans is much younger only just turned 26, so in theory should have his best years ahead of him.

Â