Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I don't know if this article is put in here already, but here goes
Write-up about Villa's chances of taking the all time record for home wins in a row

Evidently we share the fourth spot with ManCity right now and we still have ten matches left to win if we want to go all the way:

4. Man City - 15 matches (19 Jan 2023-4 Nov 2023)
Pep Guardiola's team recorded 23 consecutive victories in all competitions at the Etihad Stadium from the start of this year, one short of Sunderland's English record set in 1892. The record ended with a 1-1 draw with Liverpool that Guardiola blamed on the early kick-off time: "It's 12.30, we were still in the sheets, sleeping."

3. Man Utd - 19 matches (30 Oct 2010-23 Oct 2011)
Sir Alex Ferguson’s side were imperious at Old Trafford for almost a year, in a run that included the 8-2 victory over Arsenal and the 2010/11 title. But the end came in shocking fashion at the hands of “noisy neighbours” Man City, who thrashed their closest rivals in a memorable 6-1 win.

2. Man City - 20 matches (5 Mar 2011-31 Mar 2012)
That Man City team who ended Man Utd’s longest winning cycle at Old Trafford in the Premier League were on course to go one further themselves. The match after the beating the record, the run came to end when Sunderland claimed a dramatic 3-3 draw which required a late Aleksandar Kolarov equaliser. That did not stop Roberto Mancini’s team from claiming their first title.

1. Liverpool - 24 matches (9 Feb 2019-11 Jul 2020)

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

I rest my case m'lud. 

Lol

15 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Can't believe some people are trying to kid that Buendia, Mings, Moreno and JJ aren't actually that key to us. 

Think I argued some are more key than others, rather than that none of them are key.

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

They were all regulars in last seasons run where our form was champions league qualification from. 

And they've all been out the team for most of this season, when our form is even better than last.

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If say Torres becomes injured through fatigue or he injured in a game where you would think he might have been rested, then you can argue Mings’ injury has helped create the scenario for Torres to pick up an injury.

Lenglet. Not as good a defender as Mings. But arguably a better direct fit for the Torres role.

15 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Lenglet. Not as good a defender as Mings. But arguably a better direct fit for the Torres role.

Ok, but I think Emery is turning to Mings before Lenglet. I don’t think Lenglet is here unless Mings is injured.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

3 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

I don't know if this article is put in here already, but here goes
Write-up about Villa's chances of taking the all time record for home wins in a row

Evidently we share the fourth spot with ManCity right now and we still have ten matches left to win if we want to go all the way:

Imagine we break the record and push us clear of Liverpool to win the title on the same day. A man can dream. 

So United exiting Europe really doesn't help the chances of England getting the 5th CL place. Newcastle potentially exiting tomorrow. 

I'm also wary that Spurs, Newcastle (if they do exit) and Utd will also be getting more rest between matches as they try and catch us in the top 4.

• Like 1

Just now, villan95 said:

So United exiting Europe really doesn't help the chances of England getting the 5th CL place. Newcastle potentially exiting tomorrow. 

I'm also wary that Spurs, Newcastle (if they do exit) and Utd will also be getting more rest between matches as they try and catch us in the top 4.

Yep. All of that.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, villan95 said:

That's the spirit! We're 2nd behind City in calendar year because of Emery and the players buy in. Why do people keep worry posting this consistency will vanish? Manure more likely to need 5th place to get CL than us

26 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Why do we care about Spurs and Man U fighting it out for 5th place? 

;)

• Like 1

The only problem with Manc and Newcastle going out of Europe is the extra rest their players will get.  Thanking,  united look shit anyway and so even with rest, I don't see them performing any better and threatening the top 4.

Newcastle are in a hefty injury crisis and by the time January rolls around for then to repair some damage, they'll hopefully be even further adrift. 

Then we have to hope we ourselves don't get any more injuries and maybe make a smart signing or two in Jan to help us in the positions we're noticeably short in. 

I am moving on from 5th place worries. 

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

Manchester United are rudderless.  
Even sacking the manager won’t sort out their malaise as the only thing that will help them is a complete change of ownership. If anything the toxicity there is only going to get worse

"Better" mate.  "Better"

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The only problem with Manc and Newcastle going out of Europe is the extra rest their players will get.  Thanking,  united look shit anyway and so even with rest, I don't see them performing any better and threatening the top 4.

Even with ‘terrible form’ and ‘terrible players’ and ‘terrible manager’ Man Utd are only 6 points from the top 4. I think the media and general fans underestimate them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Even with ‘terrible form’ and ‘terrible players’ and ‘terrible manager’ Man Utd are only 6 points from the top 4. I think the media and general fans underestimate them.

Yes their form in terms of results isn't actually terrible... but I think their form is massively misleading.

Their wins have been lucky, they don't score many goals and their keeper is very prone to errors. They've got lucky so far and have had relatively kind fixtures. 

They'll regress to the norm soon, although they may well sack Ten Hag before then, and find that actually he was overacheiving with his squad.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

They’ve been very fortunate that their kind fixture list has masked their terrible performances. However their next set of fixtures is terrible. Liverpool away west ham away, us at home and forest away before the end of December with injuries is going to get nasty for them. Then in Jan wolves away and spurs at home.

He’s going to get the sack at some point. The only question is when. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's the spirit! We're 2nd behind City in calendar year because of Emery and the players buy in. Why do people keep worry posting this consistency will vanish? Manure more likely to need 5th place to get CL than us

Not trying to be negative but it is a fact that we will be playing European matches in the 2nd half of the season while other teams who could be a threat will be getting more rest.

And it would be nice just to have the cushion of 5th place being a CL spot. I'm not especially concerned about Man Utd, however I do think it would be foolish to write off Spurs who are only 5 points behind.

I'm still backing us to get a CL spot but just not counting any chickens yet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Newcastle are in a hefty injury crisis and by the time January rolls around for then to repair some damage, they'll hopefully be even further adrift. 

Then we have to hope we ourselves don't get any more injuries and maybe make a smart signing or two in Jan to help us in the positions we're noticeably short in. 

I am moving on from 5th place worries. 

Newcastle can still qualify for Europa league knockouts. They will want to win that.