Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

23 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

At the moment England is 4th, with Germany, Spain and Italy ahead of us. England need to overtake two of those ahead of us to get the fifth CL spot. There isn’t much that separate the four top nations at the moment, so who knows.

To be honest if Villa get into top 4, I wouldn’t mind if England miss out on the fifth CL spot, since it would mean that ManU, Spurs or Newcastle would miss out. If Villa ended up in fifth place, and England didn’t get the fifth CL spot, I would be really hate ManU, Newcastle and any other underperforming team in Europe that caused us to miss out on CL football.

For the time being I will be cheering on Villa to get into top 4 and ignore how English teams do in Europe.

England are 2nd at the moment on 11.750, behind Germany on 12.642 and ahead of Italy 11.742 and Spain 11.437. All 3 only have 7 teams in Europe due to Osasuna being ko in qualifying round.  Vital for us that United or newc could even get europa

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Folski said:

England are 2nd at the moment on 11.750, behind Germany on 12.642 and ahead of Italy 11.742 and Spain 11.437. All 3 only have 7 teams in Europe due to Osasuna being ko in qualifying round.  Vital for us that United or newc could even get europa

It’ll be lovely if Newcastle and man united both drop into the Europa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

They say our away form is bad (it isn't that bad really, just average: 9th in the away table), Newcastle will have 1 win in 8 away games as it stands...

We are 8th at the moment. And we’ve played away to the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the home table. We of course are the best

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Folski said:

From UEFA Association Club Coefficients Season 2023/2024:

image.thumb.jpeg.c13d33d63e5e76b386ad528bd15bd3f6.jpeg

I guess UEFA could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, Folski said:

Thats the table after AZ game, not the Legia game.

No the table do include the Legia game. If we take the bonus points off the points total, we get 85 points - 27 bonus points = 58 points, and that is exactly the number of points England have after the last week of European football.

I did manage to find a web site that had the numbers you were referring to and they had given England 36 bonus points, 9 more than UEFA have given England.

Using Villa as an example, UEFA have not given us any bonus points. If we win the group we get 2 bonus points, but since we are guaranteed to at least get second place we would get at least 1 bonus point.

The other missing bonus points are;
Brighton and West Ham, 2 points each for being guaranteed second place in the group, with the option to get 4 points if they win the group.
The 4 points that Liverpool is getting for winning the group is not included, despite it being guaranteed. Funny enough the single bonus point Liverpool gets for qualifying for round of 16 is included, but the reason they qualify is because they are group winners.

After next week of European football the groups will be finalised and bonus points allocated and UEFA’s numbers will again match everybody’s else numbers.

• Thanks 2

If one of them had to win it though I'd have preferred the geordies, would have meant 6 point cushion to 5th. Still though 5 points clear at this stage is amazing. Get a top class RB, some better cover at DM (Donk was fine though against Arsenal TBH) and Moreno and JJ back to full fitness and form and we'll be even stronger going into the second half of the season.

So, the thing that is ‘worrying’ me a little bit, is that the teams around us have all had spells where their form has dropped and they haven't picked up many wins in recent weeks (not including Liverpool and Arsenal). We haven’t really hit that yet this season and with the recent run of tricky fixtures and the match schedule in general, I fear that ‘bad run’ is right around the corner. It will give Tottenham, Newcastle and Man U a chance to catch up, which will make things super difficult for the remainder of the season if we are having to catch up with them. 

This is obviously quite a negative view of things, because we could just as easily maintain form throughout the remainder of the season! But, i’m trying to be a little realistic and trying to not get over-excited [kenneth], yet. 

Edited by Tayls

We need to field much weakened teams on Thursday and against Boro in Jan. If we can give players the 15 days off between Burnley and Everton games and take the risk our fresher team can do the business. 

I'm thinking Ramsey, Zaniolo, Olsen, Dendonker, Lenglet, Chambers etc.. we need to give our key players the rest they need starting with some not travelling on Thursday

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To be fair we did an excellent job last season of catching up with teams above us.

we had a big break for most of our squad during WC and had no Europe and went out of the cups in Emerys first games in them.