Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)

Blah blah blah blah if this or if that that or if the other ...

We simply must beat Brighton, Pool, and Palace, and I think we can. Won't be easy, but when, tell me, has being a Villa fan ever been that?

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1

Getting the league season over and done with ASAP feels especially important given the squad is being pushed to its limit now in terms of availability. It's a great time to play Brighton though and hopefully Spurs can do half the job by struggling in their tougher games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Few saying we beat Brighton & Palace, not so sure Palace has become a banker, think the Liverpool game at home is the easier game due to them put the title race & current form 

Aren't Palace at the beach?

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Spurs game against Chelsea will be massive

If they lose that they allow us to have a free hit

Yeah they lose that is huge. Liverpool at home will play for their fans and want to give a performance. They are very very hard to beat at Anfield. Then City going for the title it's hard to see Spurs getting a win in that.

So if Chelsea beat Spurs on Thursday we can say Spurs at best 8 points from their final 4 games and we need 2 points to guarantee. If they manage to get 10 we need 4. 

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Few saying we beat Brighton & Palace, not so sure Palace has become a banker, think the Liverpool game at home is the easier game due to them put the title race & current form 

If we beat Brighton or Liverpool then it'll be done before the Palace game. imo.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

We simply must beat Brighton, Pool, and Palace

That's not true though.

Realistically we "must" win one of those. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not true though.

Realistically we "must" win one of those. 

Yup that is it really. 

Spurs have 15 points available and we are 8 ahead with the goal difference. 

If we win and Spurs lose one more game we are 11 ahead and spurs have to win their last four games in a row.... including City, who need a win to get the title.....

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We could still make it over the line without winning any of our games.

Draw at Brighton, beat Liverpool and it's all over for sure. Couldn't care less what happens at Palace then as it'll be all about resting players for the final. ;)

Edited by GlobalVillan

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We could still make it over the line without winning any of our games.

Yep. if Spurs lost their two games this week, which isn't THAT crazy a suggestion, then I doubt we need another point

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Aren't Palace at the beach?

There results have picked up & got there front 3 all fit, plus players trying to impress new manager

Only once under Emery have we gone 3 matches without a victory.  That was last year against Leicester, at Man City and Arsenal.  If we can't manage 1 victory in our next 3 matches against arguably a weaker grouping of teams, it will be almost an unprecedented run under Emery and a monumental collapse on our part.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Only once under Emery have we gone 3 matches without a victory.  That was last year against Leicester, at Man City and Arsenal.  If we can't manage 1 victory in our next 3 matches against arguably a weaker grouping of teams, it will be almost an unprecedented run under Emery and a monumental collapse on our part.

3 draws might even be enough!

4 hours ago, Tubby said:

PPG form table still sees us fourth.

It doesn't weight for most recent form, but reaffirms that we are a solid top 8 team despite the injuries, suspensions and game volume.

image.png.a8a6419b5c50ce5b2bcfc9ed6a2225b2.png

I kind of get when you say 'barely a top 6 team' (previous post) and 'solid top 8 team', but we are still actually 4th by both of those metrics.

Like has been said, we have Brightons number, that as good as 3 points. Unfortunately for us, no matter how shite Liverpool are, they have ours. Palace will hopefully be on the beach, as we will be knackered. 

Oh, an I'm hoping Tottenham won't be trying too hard at Man City. If they win that, Arsenal may win the the title, an they won't want that.

Edited by foreveryoung

25 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I kind of get when you say 'barely a top 6 team' (previous post) and 'solid top 8 team', but we are still actually 4th by both of those metrics.

You're not wrong. 

WE are fourth, but we are competing with teams that are as good as us. We are in a group of teams that could finish 4th - 8th based on current performance.

We won't this season, but it is an indicator that we need to improve (or stay fit!), to be able to compete next season.

• Like 1

Are we ready for Champions league?.....missing out on the Europa, is a huge step up.

Don't get me wrong, I want to achieve it, but I wonder, if we are actually ready for it.

• Like 1