Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Was thinking about this on the shitter this morning.
Let's say it's almost certain that Spurs are going to finish 5th, but *might* be able to catch Villa. 

I wonder what their fans would want. 

a) Beat Man City and probably still finish 5th. Arsenal win the title.
b) Lose to Man City and finish 5th but Arsenal don't win the title.

Honestly, I think most would go for b. 

What do the players and Ange want?

58 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Shout out to the not quite dead co-efficient this week...

Co-efficient FC still lives. It's just been renamed Aston Villa FC.

Real Madrid and PSG to dominate the German teams and a nice 3 wins for Villa and... well we'll basically get Spurs in the CL 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Co-efficient FC still lives. It's just been renamed Aston Villa FC.

Real Madrid and PSG to dominate the German teams and a nice 3 wins for Villa and... well we'll basically get Spurs in the CL 😂 

You forgot about the invincible Leverkusen 

With all the injuries piling up it would be so nice if Spurs could lose to Chelsea and Liverpool and we beat Brighton, and have it all wrapped up on Sunday. I can see Spurs getting a point at least at Anfield though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

If we beat Brighton, even just one draw for Spurs against Chelsea would leave them not only needing to gain 9 points in 2 games but also having to overturn a GD of at least 6 (assuming a one-goal winning margin in each of the assumed results) or more likely 7 with our GF. So they'd have to beat Sheffield Utd, City, and Burnley by 2 goals each on average.

Goal difference is easy for them to overcome with Sheffield United to play. Most teams hitting 4 or 5 on them. Plus 6 goal difference will be less if it ends up going to level as we'd have lost and Spurs won games. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Obviously 4th! But I find it an interesting conundrum the fans will find themselves in.

The fans are not in conundrum, having ventured into Spurs social media, they were extremely happy we beat Arsenal and would rather finish 5th then see Arsenal win PL by far, honestly haven't seen one Spurs fan that would rather get CL 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Chelsea have the 4th best overall record since the new year allegedly (?)

Last  15 Games 

Arsenal 40

City  39

Liverpool 30

Chelsea 26

Villa 25

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Chelsea have the 4th best overall record since the new year allegedly (?)

I thought i saw a table on MOTD last night that had City , Arsenal , Liverpool  , us  and then Bournemouth  in 5th , but i can't remember the timescale they were talking about 

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

The fans are not in conundrum, having ventured into Spurs social media, they were extremely happy we beat Arsenal and would rather finish 5th then see Arsenal win PL by far, honestly haven't seen one Spurs fan that would rather get CL 

Crazy. I think it will be interesting to see how that plays out in reality. 

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Goal difference is easy for them to overcome with Sheffield United to play. Most teams hitting 4 or 5 on them. Plus 6 goal difference will be less if it ends up going to level as we'd have lost and Spurs won games. 

Fair point about Sheffield Utd but I’ve already included the other swings in GD (by one for a win) for the other assumed results.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

What needs to be remembered is Spurs have played in the CL 7-8 times in the last 15 years so it's simply not the big thing for them it will be for us in qualifying. I think most are just happy they're playing decent football again after the bore years of Mourinho/Conte/Nuno.

Looking at their forums and they certainly don't want "Woolwich" "Goons" "The Flith" winning the league so will be arms crossed and muted response when likes of Son and Johnson are running towards goal in that game for sure.

Ange hasn’t played in the CL repeatedly tho and he looked furious yesterday. I don’t think he would care less about Arsenal winning the league if he could get a spurs win v city.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Fair point about Sheffield Utd but I’ve already included the other swings in GD (by one for a win) for the other assumed results.

Well if they draw with Chelsea, Liverpool and City game and beat Burnley by 2 goals. We win against Brighton and lose to Liverpool. They'll be 3 goals behind and 2 points behind.

So if we draw they need to win by 3 or 4 depending on goals scored. 

Same as above except they lose to Liverpool let's say. If we lose to Palace and they beat Sheffield.

Lots of permutations. I just worry a bit about them turning up for a big performance against City in the middle game. 

We just need to keep picking up points in the final games. We land a win and we should be good for 4th.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Crazy. I think it will be interesting to see how that plays out in reality. 

Players will want to beat City despite that handing Arsenal the league. 

No Spurs fan at all wants Arsenal fans jeering them for winning them the League. That's the nightmare scenario 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'm feeling very confident of our chances of finishing 4th at this point. Think if we beat Brighton it's done. 

Been saying for a while that 70 points will be enough. Beating Brighton gets us there.

• Like 2