Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

15 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Win conference league, qualify for Europa League.

Win Europa League, qualify for CL.

Win CL.

Simple as that.

To be honest, I think this is probably the most likely scenario.

I believe we have a better manager tactically than most of the so called Top 6, but we still lack the depth and quality to be a Top 4 club next season. I believe Top 6 is achievable, but may take 2-3 seasons to make a serious Top 4 challenge. Depends on how much the club is going to back Unai and whether consistent over several transfer windows.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

...and also will we still compete as well in the league given that we may well have a European campaign too?

I'd be happy with another top 7 finish tbh.

Yup. We will do bloody well to expand the squad with the quality and depth to enable us to compete on both fronts.

2 european campaigns in a row would be success, especially if we go deep into the conference league. 7th and getting into the Europe by winning the conference league would be my idea of a close to perfect season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I believe that we can also contribute to the 5th CL place going to the PL by performing well in Europe ourselves.

Should we talk about our title challenge in here or make another thread?

Yes us and Liverpool can make a big difference. I'm sure they'll go for winning EL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

IMG_8292.thumb.jpeg.b7631f2639df316976707715bf211d4f.jpeg

Average total for 4th place over previous five seasons = 69.2

Average total for 4th place over previous ten seasons = 71.2

Average total for 5th place over previous five seasons = 66.8

Average total for 5th place over previous ten seasons = 68.1

So let's say that's gunning for 70 points. That's 1.84ppg which is below our current Emery ppg of 1.96ppg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

IMG_8292.thumb.jpeg.b7631f2639df316976707715bf211d4f.jpeg

Average total for 4th place over previous five seasons = 69.2

Average total for 4th place over previous ten seasons = 71.2

Average total for 5th place over previous five seasons = 66.8

Average total for 5th place over previous ten seasons = 68.1

A better picture would be 6th. Because score higher than 6th you finish 5th. These results don't occur in a vacuum if we are performing well enough to be in the discussion for top 5 we'll be taking points from the teams that would finish top 5 otherwise so they'd potentially drop to 6th instead of 5th.

16 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think that’s a fair post for me it’s players who will fit in with our playing style and improve. 

Yeah totally, if Emery wants them and he thinks they’ll improve us then I have faith in him. (Which is very refreshing!!)

12 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Wasn't Wesley a CL player? 😆

Even playing for your country doesn't automatically make you a good player.

That’s the thing, a “CL Player” is so hard to define, I wish you could just go and buy 3 of them but it’s so much more complicated. Money helps though I suppose, which is why Man City have more hits than misses in their recruitment.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

People are weird. I just don’t get this media obsession at all.

Someone is saying they think we’ll challenge for the Champions League next season and then they discuss it pretty sensibly. How is any of that disrespectful?!

It's the same with fans even of teams who regularly feature in the CL. They get reflexively wound up by journalists and pundits and find little to respect about their opinions - not unjustly, mind you - but at the same time they seem to crave their attention and approval.

I think there's also a lack of giving people the benefit of the doubt, as if there couldn't be an actual good reason why a journalist would be guarded about our chances - considering that, yes, we'd be up against Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool, and potentially Spurs, Brighton and Newcastle - rather than unreservedly confident in our ability to manage the demands of the ECL, domestic competitions, and a top 4 finish.

Edited by His Name Is Death

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We need to see the list for 5th though. As there will almost certainly be 5 places next season. 

Isn't it a maximum of four per country? If city win it then the coefficients come out and some random country gets an extra place. 

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Isn't it a maximum of four per country? If city win it then the coefficients come out and some random country gets an extra place. 

No, the season after next they're expanding the CL and based on how well teams do in Europe next season an extra lace is given to that countries league. in 7of last 8 seasons it would have gone to the PL

• Like 1

We have to push hard now.

We have the manager. We have the owners. Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs aren't what they were.

We may never get a chance like this in a long time.

I predict there's going to be a lower total required next season. Spurs I reckon are out of the equation, especially if they lose Kane. 

But Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle, and us will all be taking points off each other. Chelsea with Poch and all their players should also be back in the top4 conversation. 

That's 7 clubs for 4 places (maybe 5).

Brighton look set to lose 1 or even 2 key players but they'll still be a good side that takes points from teams at the top of the table. 

It should be even more competitive than it has been the last 5 years, when the required points total has been lower than the 5 prior to that.

Emery maintains our current form and we'll comfortably be top 4. It's a big ask with another competition on the cards, but Emery has shown he can maintain this standard everywhere he's been. 

Get enough of the right type of signing in and I've got very high hopes for next season. 

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I predict there's going to be a lower total required next season. Spurs I reckon are out of the equation, especially if they lose Kane. 

But Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle, and us will all be taking points off each other. Chelsea with Poch and all their players should also be back in the top4 conversation. 

That's 7 clubs for 4 places (maybe 5).

Brighton look set to lose 1 or even 2 key players but they'll still be a good side that takes points from teams at the top of the table. 

It should be even more competitive than it has been the last 5 years, when the required points total has been lower than the 5 prior to that.

Emery maintains our current form and we'll comfortably be top 4. It's a big ask with another competition on the cards, but Emery has shown he can maintain this standard everywhere he's been. 

Get enough of the right type of signing in and I've got very high hopes for next season. 

I think Chelsea's squad is vastly overrated.

I don't see a lot of top players there at all.

Poch also prefer smallers squads. Going to be interesting.

• Like 1

Â