Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, villa4europe said:

The crowd were dead before and moaning like **** after 

It was a shit atmosphere again today 

If we don't score in the first 5 minutes the whole "here we go again, same old villa" negativity kicks in despite this blatantly not being the same old villa

It's a massive hurdle that we need to overcome, it will hold us back 

I'm not sure. I think when we first started doing the playing out from the back thing there was similar criticism but after six months of seeing it actually worked most games the fans settled down and no nervousness when we do it now.

At 2-0 there was a complete switch off on the pitch and that ten minute period was completely unacceptable in how we managed things. Luckily we still dug out a point but we'll be getting very little from the Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool games in the run in if we do that again.

1 minute ago, VillaJay said:

The catastrophe fpr some posters is incredible, I guess it's how they deal with things not going there way.

We're currently in 4th place.

Spurs still have to play Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I'd rather have the points on the board.

Some people have to be able to say “Look at me, I was right all along”.

• Like 4

before anyone loses their mind, im not saying we wont get 5th, but the data for our recent performances is really poor, and its been on a downward trajectory for a while tbh.

• Over the last 5 games, we have averaged 1PPG.
  • Over the last 10 games, we have averaged 1.7 PPG.
  • Over the last 15 games we have averaged 1.5 PPG.
  • That is a big drop off from the first 20 games, which was consistently 1.8 to 2.2 PPG on avg.

You just need to look at this, to see how our form has slowly dropped off, and its dropped in a steady, consistent way.

Maybe we are just tired and finding it hard to drag ourselves over the line, dunno.

image.png.3e550b7045cbbd6892006d026b0c977b.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

4th is gone now. Have to hope 5th is enough unless we collapse against Bournemouth too 

Can I have tonight’s lottery numbers mate?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

before anyone loses their mind, im not saying we wont get 5th, but the data for our recent performances is really poor, and its been on a downward trajectory for a while tbh.

• Over the last 5 games, we have averaged 1PPG.
  • Over the last 10 games, we have averaged 1.7 PPG.
  • Over the last 15 games we have averaged 1.5 PPG.
  • That is a big drop off from the first 20 games, which was consistently 1.8 to 2.2 PPG on avg.

You just need to look at this, to see how our form has slowly dropped off, and its dropped in a steady, consistent way.

image.png.3e550b7045cbbd6892006d026b0c977b.png

Fortunately even 1ppg for the rest of the season should be enough for 5th. And I doubt we’ll maintain that poor form

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

There's nothing stopping us going to Arsenal and getting 3 points and suddenly 4 points in 2 games is a good outcome. 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility no matter how good they are.

(Glass half full)

No we're villa, we can't get 3 points from Arsenal 

Man utd and Spurs can, of course they can, but we can't 

That's how it works 

• Like 4

I still have spurs finishing just one point ahead of us.  That's with them winning against forest, Burnley and Sheffield utd, drawing with Newcastle, arsenal and Chelsea and then losing against man City and Liverpool.

Hopefully maybe Newcastle or Chelsea can beat them.  Regardless, it's still possible to get 4th from here

I think we'll be fine for 5th because it'll take some unbelievable turnaround from United to catch us, which I don't think they're capable of.

Cannot see 4th happening at all though. Villa willingly let the City game go during the week, and playing as we have the Arsenal game will probably follow a similar script, whereas I can see Spurs really putting it up to these sides in their games and even nicking the odd point which could prove important. Stumbling over the line into 5th and coming out of it in the Champions League would be an incredible season all the same.

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

You say this like it's good news, Chelsea are horrendous.

They beat us easily in the cup... it depends what Chelsea turn up

But it's a derby game. They will be up for it. 

Unfortunately we have to rely on other teams now, so yeah I live in hope 

5 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

There's nothing stopping us going to Arsenal and getting 3 points and suddenly 4 points in 2 games is a good outcome. 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility no matter how good they are.

(Glass half full)

I suppose the only thing stopping us is... Arsenal.

(And ourselves).

Fourth is still possible, Spurs are favorites now, but they are just as capable of having a result like ours today as we are. I'd expect them to beat Forest tomorrow, but if Newcastle can do us a favor next weekend by beating them, then they will be no more than three points ahead of us going into a difficult run of fixtures where they play Man City, Arsenal, Chelsa Liverpool, so we've still got a chance, we really could do with them losing a game where they're not expected to, or even better us getting an unexpected win, to put us back into pole position

• Like 1

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

Best season since 1997 despite crippling injuries.

Up the Villa.

That doesn't mean that, as a single event, want **** atrocious.

Results like this can happen as well, they happen to the best sides. Our form isn't great but can be a consequence of our over performance till now. To be 4th at this stage with the amount of games we've played is something to be proud of. The wheels could be falling off due to fatigue etc but I still believe we have one last push in us. To be honest I'm more worried about our European ties which will be really tough games.

Just now, The_Steve said:

Can’t believe Spurs are going to win all their remaining games and we will lose all of ours. 

Whose said this?