Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I was thinking after the Luton win and the writing off of Man Utd after their Fulham defeat that all it would is for us to lose a couple of games and for them to win a couple so the gap between us and them is cut to five points and people would be insisting they're going to finish above us

But people panicking sooner than I thought, the gap has only been cut to eight points, with us having a game in hand, and even if we lose tomorrow we still be in a very advantageous position over them

Them finishing above us can't be ruled out completely, but we're going to have to go on a very bad run for them to do so, because they will lose more games between now and the end of the season or drop points otherwise, they're aren't going to suddenly win all their games

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, omariqy said:

True but we have had a spell of getting only 8 points from 7 games so you can never say never. 

I know but the odds are remote that Man Utd will go on Champions level run and we go on a relegation level run at the same time.

• Like 1

Annoyed that Arsenal won today.

Was starting to believe we could rope them into 4th place and take 3rd.

Edited by AshVilla

33 minutes ago, omariqy said:

True but we have had a spell of getting only 8 points from 7 games so you can never say never. 

Before that we won 4 out of 5 games so overall it was 20 points from 12 matches. 

15 more points could be good enough to get 4th so really we don't need that much more than slightly over a point a game.

We'll be o.k. The time to get jittery was when we lost late to Man. United but we responded by winning the next three which were all huge and Man. United lost to Fulham and Spurs lost to Wolves in that time.

24 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

It's still possible. But probably just as unlikely as Man U catching us. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

I don't see us challenging them this season. I think they have won every game this year. That ship has sailed unfortunately.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Before that we won 4 out of 5 games so overall it was 20 points from 12 matches. 

15 more points could be good enough to get 4th so really we don't need that much more than slightly over a point a game.

We'll be o.k. The time to get jittery was when we lost late to Man. United but we responded by winning the next three which were all huge and Man. United lost to Fulham and Spurs lost to Wolves in that time.

If this was a good man u team I wouid be worried but when the likes of Neville praises them for their defeat at City you know this Is a poor united team 

I very much doubt Arsenal are catchable.

However, if you’re hoping to finish 4th, aiming to catch a side likely to finish in 3rd place isn’t the worst way to go about achieving it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Don’t care about Arsenal. But I like the look up attitude.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I know but the odds are remote that Man Utd will go on Champions level run and we go on a relegation level run at the same time.

Yeah I don’t think it will happen. Even in that bad run they only made up 6 points - i.e. their wins against us. 12 points is a lot to over turn. 

Posted (edited)

I still think we could (0.1% chance) win the title so you lot are all massive I bet shitters. By this time tomorrow after dispatching the tottingham wet flannels we’ll only be looking up not down. Peace and ****, believe.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yes you can. Ridiculous and soon enough they'll have run out of games to bridge what is currently a 12pt gap because we're more than 20 goal difference better off

12 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I know its only took till recently league table wise but I’ve always thought the top 3 were in a group of their own all season even when we beat them both and now the table is starting to show that. All 3 are just really consistent. I guess if one of those teams goes 2 games without winning all of a sudden they could find themselves out the title race. For the neutral hope all 3 can keep it up till the last few games to make the title race exciting.

Spurs fans are 5 points behind us and still think they can finish above Arsenal! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AshVilla said:

They've been destroying teams recently.. so i'm not sure what gave you that " belief " lol

On 09/03/2024 at 12:16, HanoiVillan said:

You're probably right, but that to me is a bit 'lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change'. 

EDIT: To put that a bit less archaically, 'shit happens' I suppose. If the German clubs win it on merit then we didn't 'deserve' it. 

Especially when its in our own hands. If we don't finish top 4 its our own fault

• Like 1