Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

25 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Some mad talk in this thread.

We arent even mathematically safe from relegation yet.

That's the spirit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It does kind of feel like a competition mainly for teams that would never have a chance of making Europe without it or have struggled in recent years. 

Roma, Ajax, Eintracht Frankfurt, Dynamo Zagreb and Fenerbache say hi. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s a race for 4th I’m afraid. I actually think we could win every game between now and the end of the season and potentially not win the league. Such is the form of the top 3 atm. 

Half pint glass half full

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we don't sort out the defensive issues we could easily see us lose quite a few more games. Watkins scorching form is keeping us scoring more than the opposition. 

4 wins and 3 draws should be enough for guaranteed top 5. That gets us 70 points 

If United lose today that means they need to win 9 or remaining 11 to get to 71 points 

Yep the 11 point gap is great as long as we keep ticking over, but we could go on a shit run of LDL with them getting 3 wins and suddenly it's just 3 points. We have some really, really hard games left to play. Bigger the gap the better.

That were a point behind Leicester's total when they won the league at this stage shows what an anomaly season that was

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Obviously more to a game than one person but Wolves will be without Hwang so that should tilt the odds even more in our favor.

We should be beating Wolves. I get the poor record but the VP games are always tight and the problem is we usually concede first to them. Get an early goal and I think we'd beat them as comfortably as Newcastle did.

Cunha probably won't make our game either so they're very short of forwards now so won't be as menacing on the counter.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Some mad talk in this thread.

We arent even mathematically safe from relegation yet.

Wonder what the odds are on that. I reckon if you went to the bookies and wrote down "Aston Villa to get relegated in 23/24" the cashier would look at you like you'd just voted for George Galloway and would probably price it as longer shot than Leicester winning the league.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder what the odds are on that. I reckon if you went to the bookies and wrote down "Aston Villa to get relegated in 23/24" the cashier would look at you like you'd just voted for George Galloway and would probably price it as longer shot than Leicester winning the league.

It's impossible. More likely Farage is the next pm or Reform get a majority in the  next election lol

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It's impossible. More likely Farage is the next pm or Reform get a majority in the  next election lol

Pretty sure it's impossible, if Luton won every game left and we lost them all they'd be on 56 and us 55, but there are so many teams below us who would need to pick up points vs each other to overhaul us it wouldn't be possible 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re not getting anywhere near City or Liverpool. We *may* catch Arsenal but even they are playing extremely well at the moment.

It’s a race for 4th I’m afraid. I actually think we could win every game between now and the end of the season and potentially not win the league. Such is the form of the top 3 atm. 

Utd beat citeh and I don't want that - but it is possible

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Utd beat citeh and I don't want that - but it is possible

It wouid be typical fir Haaland to have an off day and Man u to produce a performance

United are trash. They don’t deserve to be anywhere near us. In the coming weeks, I predict they’ll be fighting to stay 6th rather than thinking they’re still in a fight for 4th.

In the unlikely event they are still in the CL race, they’ll have had a helluva lot of fortune. They’re just not that good. 

• Like 2

We should be able to get 4 wins and 3 draws from the final 11 games. That's a collapse in form to 1.36 ppg

We've home games against Wolves Brentford and Bournemouth where we'll be heavy favourites 

We've home games to Spurs Chelsea and Liverpool. 

So out of those 6 games we should be getting 3 wins at worst and a draw or two.

Then away we've Brighton, Palace, West Ham we can definitely win one of those.

Then anything from Arsenal or City away is a bonus. 

We take it game by game and get the wins we need. We need 4 wins if we can draw 2 or 3.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we don't sort out the defensive issues we could easily see us lose quite a few more games. Watkins scorching form is keeping us scoring more than the opposition. 

4 wins and 3 draws should be enough for guaranteed top 5. That gets us 70 points 

If United lose today that means they need to win 9 or remaining 11 to get to 71 points 

Season's over mate

• Like 2

just to confirm, as it stands now, 1st to 4th Champions League, 5th & 6th Europa League, and 7th Conference League???

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

just to confirm, as it stands now, 1st to 4th Champions League, 5th & 6th Europa League, and 7th Conference League???

I think currently it's 5th europa and 6th conference as one of the 2 europa league spots goes to winner of the FA Cup

20 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I think currently it's 5th europa and 6th conference as one of the 2 europa league spots goes to winner of the FA Cup

If both FA Cup finalists have qualified for CL / Europa via their PL finish (which is fairly likely based on recent history), then they go on league position for the next Europa place.

56 minutes ago, turvontour said:

We actually are mathematically safe.

We are getting a points deduction though which will mean we are likely going to get relegated.  

This is due to the unknown rule that we breached, of daring to challenge the Sky6 and not just go away like they’d want.

• Haha 1

Noticed Tottenhams 2 last games are Burnley and Sheffield and they'll probably be gone by then. Although games before are Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and on form Newcastle. They'll be dropping points there, so we can certainly afford to lose some games and still have 4th in the bag.