Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

At home to Newcastle, a game that will definately show us where we are going for the rest of the season. A win, we are moving on, a loss, I don't wanna talk a out it!

After what happened at their place, there shouldn't be an easier game to fire the team up for this season.

• Like 1

Huge game tomorrow. Every game has a “must win” feeling to it at the moment. 

If we can win, it puts a bit of pressure on Spurs before they play on Thursday, and just keeps us level with Arsenal.

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The next ten games are there for the taking and if we can get 7/8 wins then CL is ours. 

A 10 game winning run would certainly help out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The next ten games are there for the taking and if we can get 7/8 wins then CL is ours. 

All games are winnable with the team and manager we have. A note of caution would be that we didn't beat any of the next 3 teams in the corresponding fixtures. 

Different circumstances of course, but no easy games and all that. 

Still think we will get top 5 in any case.

• Like 2

Strange one now as if we finish 5th we probably have to win the conference league and hope the other English teams do well to get one of the two extra spots in the champions league. 

On 27/01/2024 at 15:16, markavfc40 said:

I suppose it is a sign of how far we've come but to read this thread you'd think we were struggling. The reality is though we have lost once in our last 15 games in all competitions, winning 9. Even if we just look at the league in our last 10 we have won 6, drew 3 and lost just once. That is 21 points in our last 10 games. In pretty much every other season in my 40+ years following us we'd consider ourselves to be on a great run.

I do realise our performances have been hit and miss since the start of December but I don't know if that should have been unexpected given the amount of games we had over November and December and that we have had a number of injuries/suspensions (to what is already a relatively small squad without Mings and Buendia) with Torres, Digne, Kamara, Ramsey, Tielemans all missing for a number of games.

You hear all the time that good teams are capable of picking up results when not performing to anywhere near their best. That is exactly what we have been doing and the reason for that is simple. We are now a very good team.

Let's just contemplate that this last 6 or 7 weeks has been our slump and that performances will soon pick up, and fwiw I am 100% confident that they will. If that is the case it would be reasonable to expect our already very good results would then pick up. 

I'd have bit your hand off to be where we are now at the start of the season. More so if you consider we have had a slump in performances over the last 6 or 7 weeks yet we have still taken over 2 points per game over that time and lost only once. 

Wow when you really think about it what a position to be in. The next 3-4 months is going to be some ride. 

Good points you make here. However, the whole discussion is about whether "our level" is the one from earlier in the season, which means that the last six weeks has been a slump, or, that we were overachieving earlier and are now on our true level, meaning we have been found out in a way. And that we're even now getting favorable results compared to our level. That's the worry.

24 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Good points you make here. However, the whole discussion is about whether "our level" is the one from earlier in the season, which means that the last six weeks has been a slump, or, that we were overachieving earlier and are now on our true level, meaning we have been found out in a way. And that we're even now getting favorable results compared to our level. That's the worry.

Results wise we've overall been on an excellent run since last February. Performance wise I'd say we had played consistently well, with the odd blip, between February 2023 and the start of December. Therefore I think the last  6 or 7 weeks is the outlier and simply just a slump in form due to the amount of games over November/December and the fact that (on top of the long term injuries to Mings and Buendia) Torres, Digne, Kamara, Ramsey have all missed a number of games meaning an already relatively small squad was stretched. 

I expect us to make one or two additions in the next couple of days, Torres, Digne and Ramsey to return over the next week or so and that coupled with having just had a decent break and the fixture list not being so congested over the coming weeks, should hopefully see a return to the performances we saw previously. In fairness results don't really need to improve as despite the drop in performance we have still taken 21 points from our last 10 games. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Agree with those who are nervous, but taking a step back, who would have thought after match day 1 we would have the opportunity to go 17 points clear of Newcastle in the return fixture.  That would be a 20 point turnaround!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

So you keep saying. It's exhausting. 

What's the longest you've ever gone without having a go at someone? It's unpleasant. Please stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What's the longest you've ever gone without having a go at someone? It's unpleasant. Please stop.

Sick of constant negativity from some posters. Doubt I'm alone

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sick of constant negativity from some posters. Doubt I'm alone

Just post your "positive" opinion.

Disagree if you want, knock yourself out.

The aggression, the mocking. It's constant and not cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Nervous about the remainder of the season. I reckon it’s going to be a difficult slog. 

I'd say I'm the opposite. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Had to wait 14 years for a season like this - much prefer this to having to win 10 in a row in the Championship to get in the play offs/beat West Brom on pens/beat Derby or looking like a relegated side with 4 games to go. 

Was envious watching Newcastle last season, now it's happening to us this season. Who would have thought after the 5-1 loss there at the start of the season we could go 17 points clear of them?!  

• Like 2