Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree performances need to improve but 6 of our last 8 games have been away from home. We know our home form is significantly better than our away form. As frustrating as it was against Sheffield and Burnley we still got 4 points and in latter it was more cheap goals being the issue rather than scoring goals.

It is what it is. I don’t doubt we’re doing well in the league but if we continue our current form, we’ll drop away significantly. We’ve been poor since the 15th minute of the Arsenal match. 

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We are not doing fine, that is an enormous stretch. 

Ollie one goal in nine. 

One win in 5 all comps

No goals scored last two

Failed to beat sheff utd, man u after being two up, scraped past burnley, failed to beat everton. 

Look at it this way, when Spurs hit their slump they lost 5 in a row where as Unai has us playing through our bad form and still picking up points. At some point it will start clicking again.

Best not to let yourself get too disheartened by this sort of thing 

• Like 2

There is some overreaction but I don't think we have been playing well which is a concern. We were absolutely battered in the first half and couldn't get out of our own half, luckily we defended well on the most part and have an incredible goalkeeper. 

One positive to take from last night is in the last 30 minutes we looked like our old selves again, but we need that performance over 90 minutes rather than over 30 minutes.

Another positive to take is despite our dip in form and performance we have still only lost once, away at Man Utd. Draws with Everton and Sheff Utd were disappointing but we didn't lose. Draw last night was a good result even if we were second best for two-thirds of the game.

We need wins now. Newcastle on Tuesday has to be three points given their away form all season and we have to be beating Sheff Utd away. 

We are not doing fine, that is an enormous stretch. 

Ollie one goal in nine. 

One win in 5 all comps

No goals scored last two

Failed to beat sheff utd, man u after being two up, scraped past burnley, failed to beat everton. 

2 defeats in last 22 games in all competitions.

We’re doing more than fine.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It is what it is. I don’t doubt we’re doing well in the league but if we continue our current form, we’ll drop away significantly. We’ve been poor since the 15th minute of the Arsenal match. 

Knackers, we haven't hit the heights we did in the city game but we haven't been poor all the time since we scored against Arsenal. We weren't at the races first half yesterday but second half could have won.

Away at the bridge, not so long ago a trip to London meant getting a pasting. We're doing great.

• Like 3

One win in 5 all comps

No goals scored last two

2 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss in last 5 matches. 
2 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss in last 6 matches.

3 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss in last 8 matches. 

3 cleans sheets in a row. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

2 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss in last 5 matches. 
2 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss in last 6 matches.

3 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss in last 8 matches. 

3 cleans sheets in a row. 

Too many draws, mostly against teams we should have beaten (Sheff Utd and Everton, Bournemouth too probably). It's not a disaster but they were dropped points. 

We need to start winning again, starting on Tuesday. Newcastle is usually a good home fixture for us and they've won once away all season against the team that is bottom. And if we can't beat Sheff Utd at least once this season we may as well close this thread.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

This is all opinion, not fact. They've been mixed. Certainly below where they were in the games before that, but "very poor" and "in a slump" is an overstatement.

Yeah but on here anything less than steam rolling an opponent with Emi not having to make a single save is apparently poor. Check out any match thread and if we're not winning after 15 mins its a disaster.

Man Utd was very poor, but games like Brentford, Everton, we actually overall dominated away to sides who had no interest in doing anything but playing for a point and injuring as many of our players as possible. Just lacking a cutting edge, which is not a suprise at the moment - Its nice teams are that fearful of us now, but its a tough thing to learn to play against.

And it still happens to teams like Man City - last season we held them to a draw with Gerrard in charge, they drew at home to Everton, drew away at Forest, needed a KDB 25 yard freekick to beat leicester away, a last min pen to beat Fulham at home. Thats a team used to facing sides sitting deep and chock full of players bought for big money to unlock defences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with the general message here i personally don’t like use of the poor.

Aston Villa are not a “poor” team and neither have the performances been since the 15th minute of the Arsenal game either.

Whilst we haven’t performed to our potential we have clearly been missing important cogs in our team.

Poor!

Please say it again and then compare some of the performances that have been genuinely poor in our recent history.

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re resilient but we’ve been poor in the last 8 or so matches. Really poor in fact. We won’t finish in the top 5 playing like we are now. 

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have 8pts after Arsenal match. Arsenal have 7pts same number of games. Arsenal won't finish in top 5 either or do you just regularly shit on Villa and our players for effect?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Knackers, we haven't hit the heights we did in the city game but we haven't been poor all the time since we scored against Arsenal. We weren't at the races first half yesterday but second half could have won.

Away at the bridge, not so long ago a trip to London meant getting a pasting. We're doing great.

I think Chelsea had the edge because they had a confidence boosting 5-1 win against Boro during the week. So that and being at home you'd expect them to be the quicker out of the blocks and they were. I think what Emery has focussed on in terms of our away performances is keeping it tight in the first half and not giving the opposition an early goal which has been the case for almost all our away games this season. So for Emery he can look at United, Boro, Everton, Chelsea and no goals conceded or us scoring first. That's the template for away from home and something for us to build on as I think we can improve our away form as our home for has to drop off a bit (we can't really win every single game at home). 

11 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with the general message here i personally don’t like use of the poor.

Aston Villa are not a “poor” team and neither have the performances been since the 15th minute of the Arsenal game either.

Whilst we haven’t performed to our potential we have clearly been missing important cogs in our team.

Poor!

Please say it again and then compare some of the performances that have been genuinely poor in our recent history.

Fine. We’ve been poor since the 15th minute of the Arsenal match

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We have 8pts after Arsenal match. Arsenal have 7pts same number of games. Arsenal won't finish in top 5 either or do you just regularly shit on Villa and our players for effect?

Also worth noting 8pts from 5 games since Arsenal = 1.6ppg (from 3 away games 2 homes games) keeping that form for rest of season would result in 71 points which would be good enough to finish  4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th over last 5 seasons PL table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, duke313 said:

2 defeats in last 22 games in all competitions.

We’re doing more than fine.

We've dropped some points, yes. But we remain in a very, very strong position.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fine. We’ve been poor since the 15th minute of the Arsenal match

Gosh mate. We’re definitely not playing as well but we are still solid and in all of the games. Poor is a fairly drastic assessment. Just think back a few years and re-set the poor barometer. We are a million times better than we were even a few years ago.