Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

We're lacking cover in a couple of positions, but where we aren't lacking cover, the quality barely changes between first 11 and subs. Not even sure what our strongest 11 is to be honest. 

Watkins to Duran

Martinez to Olsen

Kamara to Dendoncker

Luiz to ?

Those 4 players are irreplaceable for us at the moment.

The rest of the team has good options and cover.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Watkins to Duran

Martinez to Olsen

Kamara to Dendoncker

Luiz to ?

Luiz to Tielemans is OK,  as long as Kamara and McGinn are playing and having good days. Agree with the other three.

Cash to Konsa I find totally acceptable ... different players and suitable for different roles, but equally competent.

But I think it's a better place than everyone else bar City. Liverpool and Arsenal probably have a better first 11 but I don't feel their depth compares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Watkins to Duran

Martinez to Olsen

Kamara to Dendoncker

Luiz to ?

Donk didn't start when Kamara was banned so he's well down the pecking order now and will likely leave in January. Kamara/Luiz to Tielemans is more accurate reflection based on selections this season.

If we lost Ollie I think we might see Diaby tried at CF and see how that goes. We'd need to play a bit differently but I think that would work if given time.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Donk didn't start when Kamara was banned so he's well down the pecking order now and will likely leave in January. Kamara/Luiz to Tielemans is more accurate reflection based on selections this season.

If we lost Ollie I think we might see Diaby tried at CF and see how that goes. We'd need to play a bit differently but I think that would work if given time.

I am not sure abou that....Ollies does a lot of physical work, probably more than we readily admit too....I think Moussa would be easily negated at CF.

• Like 1

Arsenal is a free hit IMO, we've beat City and I wasn't expecting either a win or to do it so convincingly. We got a point away before that and I'd bet I'm not the only one who'd have taken 4 points from Bournemouth away, City H and Arsenal H. We've got a five point gap to fifth winning would guarantee we keep it but not losing would be pretty amazing too

0CA2ABB4-D536-4EC1-B154-D0FA40AD4916.thumb.jpeg.186b46c261015aad2ebeee0a48976448.jpeg

Very interesting this… look any competition that we are in i want us to win and get as far as possible including conference, i will celebrate any trophy but for me the conference is not that special and as a club of our stature ive always felt we should be aiming for the proper established competitions regardless of how we have been as a club for the past 20 years. I look at the conference league like a father stopping his 4 yr old child from scoring against him in the living room and the child getting frustrated so he moves one of the posts further out wide to make it easier for him to score … that’s exactly what i think about this competition it was created to give those that cant get europa or champions league a chance and i feel like i want to earn it the hard away but completely understand that fans will want to lift a trophy but thats how i see it.

On the other hand  a champions league place would be a dream come true for me and if we can win a FA cup that would be incredible that has more weight in gold than the conference to me i can assure ya.

We are Aston Villa we dream big!! 

We enter a very important week, not only in terms of points for us, but the European Cup tournaments. We need England to get one of the two extra places in the CL. A fifth place for us is perhaps the most likely position at the end of the season.

In the worst case, Manchester U and Newcastle both end up in last place in their groups, and Brighton and West Ham second in the Europa League. Should that happen, England can forget about having five teams in the CL. The battle is already very even with Italy, Germany and Spain. Those countries are likely to lose only one team each before the knockout rounds. 

In particular, the match between Newcastle and Milan is important, there we must avoid Milan winning, and thus progressing in Europe at Newcastle's expense

Edited by villa82

27 minutes ago, villa82 said:

We enter a very important week, not only in terms of points for us, but the European Cup tournaments. We need England to get one of the two extra places in the CL. A fifth place for us is perhaps the most likely position at the end of the season.

In the worst case, Manchester U and Newcastle both end up in last place in their groups, and Brighton and West Ham second in the Europa League. Should that happen, England can forget about having five teams in the CL. The battle is already very even with Italy, Germany and Spain. Those countries are likely to lose only one team each before the knockout rounds. 

In particular, the match between Newcastle and Milan is important, there we must avoid Milan winning, and thus progressing in Europe at Newcastle's expense

We're getting better than 5th. Also our results in Europe count towards 5th spot

23 hours ago, ender4 said:

Watkins to Duran

Martinez to Olsen

Kamara to Dendoncker

Luiz to ?

Rodri to?

Haaland to?

Ederson to?

No team have equal replacement for every position. Look how City falls apart without Rodri. 

20 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not sure abou that....Ollies does a lot of physical work, probably more than we readily admit too....I think Moussa would be easily negated at CF.

Yep Duran is the more likely replacement

• Like 1

On 07/12/2023 at 11:23, VillaChris said:

Another 11 wins and we're in I think (if we draw a few more games in second half of the season).

Feasible we could just do it on imperious VP form although I expect we'll get 3-4 more away wins at least.

Now 13 points clear of Chelsea so they're nothing to worry about. However they could be useful in second half of the season as they have all of Newcastle, Man. United and Spurs at home. No chance they lose all three at Stamford Bridge.

Still 5 points clear of Man. United and they have Liverpool and West Ham away coming up so I'm confident points different will remain similar when we go to Old Trafford. Would be a huge statement to win there.

Hopefully West Ham get something at Spurs tonight. Spurs-Newcastle on Sunday so that will be good for us.

I think we'll need a couple more wins, probably low 70's points for 4th. Another 15 or 16 wins would see us challenging for the very top...

Edited by VillaJ100

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Oh look Man Utd are crap as soon they come against anyone half decent, which Bournemouth are now.

Can't see 'em getting much away at Liverpool and West Ham, so it could be a v unhappy Old Trafford by the time we go on Boxing Day.

--

Brighton dropping points as well and Spurs-Newcastle got each other tomorrow so at least one of them will drop points too. Even if we lose to Arsenal, we're not giong to be losing much ground this weekend.

• Like 2