Giovani Lo Celso

Villaphan04

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

image.png.3af4e94f667f5accad2d422c03293e41.png

Copa America count Nick?

Thing is Lo Celso would have been in the World Cup squad too and likely a key player as he is an established International for Argentina...

Not good enough for Villa though....swear some people have nothing better to do....

giphy.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Of course and that would be a valid argument rather than World Cup.  Then the argument would be based on would we sign others players in that team, of course yes some but  I wouldn’t sign (ignoring their age) either Acura or Otamendi and to be honest I’m not convinced on Romero who has 1 excellent game and 3 poor games and at 25 can that still be coached out of him.  

Does Winning major competitions make people pause? Of course, but you still have to assess the individual and that’s what I’m doing than just looking at team stats.

Respect all opinions of course, however:

Playing a key starting role in a Copa winning team, a likely starter in what became a world cup winning team but for injury, and the fact that our manager has signed him not once, but twice, suggests that he may be good enough to me. 

He's been absolutely outstanding at Villarreal mostly under.... Unai Emery. I would like to see this one happen personally. 

• Like 3

Think it will come down to whether the new Spurs manager (whoever that is) wants to keep him. Imagine if it was Poch he might have stayed given the South American appeal but looks like he's Chelsea bound

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thing is Lo Celso would have been in the World Cup squad too and likely a key player as he is an established International for Argentina...

Not good enough for Villa though....swear some people have nothing better to do....

giphy.gif

Yeah but Mac Allister played because Lo Celso didn’t.  Mac Allister went on to become a key player in the World Cup win, without that it’s hard to say that Argentina still would’ve won the World Cup and hence why he’s in so much demand and rumours of Liverpool about to pay £70m for him.  Small differences can make major differences, even winning trophies.  It’s disingenuous argument anyway because we are talking about the Argentinian team playing not assessing an individual.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Respect all opinions of course, however:

Playing a key starting role in a Copa winning team, a likely starter in what became a world cup winning team but for injury, and the fact that our manager has signed him not once, but twice, suggests that he may be good enough to me. 

He's been absolutely outstanding at Villarreal mostly under.... Unai Emery. I would like to see this one happen personally. 

Fair, it’s all just about opinion.  I’ve said before in the other thread before he got his own thread, that I think his skill set are tailored to the Spanish way of playing than the PL.

45 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Was he in the team when they won the World Cup….nope! 

he was injured for the WC, which was why he wasnt in the squad (rather than not being picked), Lo Celso was part of the Copa winning team tho, when he was fit.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but Mac Allister played because Lo Celso didn’t.  Mac Allister went on to become a key player in the World Cup win, without that it’s hard to say that Argentina still would’ve won the World Cup and hence why he’s in so much demand and rumours of Liverpool about to pay £70m for him.  Small differences can make major differences, even winning trophies.  It’s disingenuous argument anyway because we are talking about the Argentinian team playing not assessing an individual.

Also, scrutinizing Lo Celso and questioning whether or not he'd be a good fit for Villa is what we SHOULD be doing now. We need to start thinking like we aren't struggling old Villa, satisfied with signing Coutinho just because of the name.

Villa are at a level now where we should turn down Messi , in all honesty. Just like Man Utd should never have re-signed Ronaldo.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Also, scrutinizing Lo Celso and questioning whether or not he'd be a good fit for Villa is what we SHOULD be doing now. We need to start thinking like we aren't struggling old Villa, satisfied with signing Coutinho just because of the name.

Villa are at a level now where we should turn down Messi , in all honesty. Just like Man Utd should never have re-signed Ronaldo.

I still think the Ronaldo thing would’ve been fine if he accepted that he’s not the same player he used to be. 

6 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I still think the Ronaldo thing would’ve been fine if he accepted that he’s not the same player he used to be. 

Never gonna happen though. Without the world class ability he's just a toxic ego around the place.

• Like 1

I can’t recall seeing Lo Celso ever play, what kind of role would he play in our midfield? Going off the stats (not the full story I know) he hasn’t been a prolific scorer. The brief YouTube clips (i know, I know) that I have seen make him look like a link man or someone who would sit deep in front of the back four and transition play. By that I mean a role like better version/ more combative version of Ashley Westwood who can break up play and thread a good pass forward? Is that fair, or wide of the mark?

8 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I can’t recall seeing Lo Celso ever play, what kind of role would he play in our midfield? Going off the stats (not the full story I know) he hasn’t been a prolific scorer. The brief YouTube clips (i know, I know) that I have seen make him look like a link man or someone who would sit deep in front of the back four and transition play. By that I mean a role like better version/ more combative version of Ashley Westwood who can break up play and thread a good pass forward? Is that fair, or wide of the mark?

I'd call him a little bit of a Bernardo Silva-lite. Excellent dribbling and close control from what I remember, meant to be pretty tenacious as well I think. I don't think breaking up play is his game at all though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Question: Does Emery want him?

If the answer is yes, then fans need to stfu, defer to a man who knows a damn sight more than we do, and cheer him on. 

Nobody knows for sure but you can’t have a clearer indication of a manager wanting a player than the fact he has signed him twice before! 

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

I'd call him a little bit of a Bernardo Silva-lite. Excellent dribbling and close control from what I remember, meant to be pretty tenacious as well I think. I don't think breaking up play is his game at all though.

I remember him more as an energetic midfield that gets around the pitch. A bit like Ramsey.  Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong player 🤣 

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

giphy.gif

Probably would have started over MacAllister of Fernandez who are now the next big things

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I remember him more as an energetic midfield that gets around the pitch. A bit like Ramsey.  Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong player 🤣 

I can't remember perfectly tbh. But I know I always rated him, but then I'm a sucker for a technician. And his dribbling and close control was always superb. So in that sense, if he was like an energetic midfielder, he'd probably be more Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey than our JJ 🤣 But a better passer.

But I used Bernardo as City fans are always raving about his workrate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If the answer is yes, then fans need to stfu, defer to a man who knows a damn sight more than we do, and cheer him on. 

This. We've already seen him play players in different roles to suit a purpose. 

If he thinks a player can do a role he needs then that's fine with me. 

Moreno should give him 100% trust in his signings. 

• Like 1

I'd take Guendouzi over him, but maybe Lo Celso is more for Buendia competition as Second Striker / 10 / RM type 

Guendouzi more LM, CM pushing JJ / Luiz 

I do think both Guendouzi and Lo Celso have high ceilings in terms of what Emery can get out of them and they seem to be the adaptable hard working types I think we need for the next step which is the ultra press with the high defensive line. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

And there is no one saying they wouldn’t cheer him on, but people are still allowed an opinion. This a fan forum to discuss things. If everyone stfu, may as well close the site 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

he was injured for the WC, which was why he wasnt in the squad (rather than not being picked), Lo Celso was part of the Copa winning team tho, when he was fit.

Yep and Mac Allister wouldn’t have started who ended up a major reason including a number of other players why they won the World Cup.  If Lo Celso had been fit who knows if they would’ve won the competition.  Saying they are WC winners therefore we shouldn’t question buying him when his replacement was one of the major keys to winning the WC and not Lo Celso is disingenuous.  We know a slight change can massively affect games.  Argentina may still have been WC winners with Lo Celso in rather Mac Allister, maybe not.  If Lo Celso had been in instead and they lost the final, this argument would be null and void and he would just be another Argentinian which is good in itself but not a WC winner., it’s just disingenuous to have the discussion that if he’d been in they still would’ve won the WC when they might not have because he would’ve started over Mac Allister based on history, therefore key influence rather than squad player.

My point though, is we should assess the player and not the team.  I’m assessing the player and having watched a lot of him, I don’t think for us, in the PL style that he is the right player.  Sorry, some people don’t agree.

Â