Giovani Lo Celso

Villaphan04

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Totally missed that Emery gave him his first starts at PSG and he became a regular under him in midfield as RM in a midfield 3. When Emery left Lo Celso was loaned to Betis a month later and then signed for Betis the following summer.

Emery signed him on Loan at Villareal twice then, 2nd half of last season and this season. So Emery must be 100% certain what he can offer that's for sure. I think at Villa we could manage his game time more as he is a bit fragile.

For the right price this makes sense. Spurs did a big loan fee and then signed him so permanently for about £28m over 5.5 year contract. So his book value would be ~£10m so anything bid above that would be booked profit. To me it seems a good deal for up to £15m on 4 year contract

And when you put it that way (from the financials point of view), it also seems a degree more likely, perhaps.

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

I really like Lo Celso as referenced earlier in the thread. 

However, given the derisory bids that we've received from that cue-ball headed pissweasel in the past, I would start the bidding at 5,000,000 Zimbabwean Dollars, a Northern Rock savings debit card and Lee Hendrie on a 6 month loan.  

And an old photocopier from Mita Copiers.

• Thanks 1

Seems to be a player that hasn't done that great wherever he's been, EXCEPT when he's played under Emery.

Unai seems to get him to another level that other managers simply can't.  

So, for that reason, I'm fine with bringing him in if it's for a decent fee.  Depends how desperate Spurs are in getting rid of him, we could maybe get him on loan with an option to buy.

My only concern would be his injury record.

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

Suppose it depends on opinion whether you think Lo Celso improves the side…some people like me don’t.

Of course he bloody would, we've been looking for a CM like him since Emery got here - we need options. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Of course he bloody would, we've been looking for a CM like him since Emery got here - we need options. 

I do agree in this instance, Lo Celso is a very, very good player IMO.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, lexicon said:

30 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I do agree in this instance, Lo Celso is a very, very good player IMO.

It’s all about opinions, some players we are linked with, we’ll agree on and some we won’t.  

We don’t in this case.  

I don’t think he improves our starting XI.

If Emery does and buys him, then I’ll support him 100% and hope he’s brilliant and I look stupid.  At this point, it’s just a link, maybe genuine or lazy link, we have no idea if Emery wants to bring him in.  

Based on me watching him for Spurs a lot and less so but still some obviously for his Spanish teams and also for the national team I’m not a fan on him being brought in because I don’t think he improves our starting XI.

We all want the best for Villa, we just happen to disagree on this player link.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Seems to be a player that hasn't done that great wherever he's been, EXCEPT when he's played under Emery.

Unai seems to get him to another level that other managers simply can't.  

So, for that reason, I'm fine with bringing him in if it's for a decent fee.  Depends how desperate Spurs are in getting rid of him, we could maybe get him on loan with an option to buy.

My only concern would be his injury record.

Didn’t he score near 10 goals at Betis in one season? The injury record is a concern though as you said.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

It’s all about opinions, some players we are linked with, we’ll agree on and some we won’t.  

We don’t in this case.  

If Emery does and buys him, then I’ll support him 100% and hope he’s brilliant and I look stupid.  At this point, it’s just a link, maybe genuine or lazy link, we have no idea if Emery wants to bring him in.  

Based on me watching him for Spurs a lot and less so but still some obviously for his Spanish teams and also for the national team I’m not a fan on him being brought in because I don’t think he improves our starting XI.

I hear your fears Nick but, I think you are forgetting that Unai can polish turds and make them look like Faberge eggs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its one ive mentioned previously on the transfer thread in another season, think he is someone that has great potential, like buendia for us, but has fallen a bit short of where he should be. He is 27 so the price will have to be right but its a good addition to the squad. We will need these types of players when we go further in cups and hopefully get to europe at some point.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

We don’t in this case.  

I see what you're saying Nick but this is why I mentioned side rather than XI. I think our XI is actually pretty damn good, but what we need to work on is our depth and options, so that we can modify it to suit the opposition at hand. Lo Celso doesn't make the XI any worse (if we're meeting halfway here) and he does offer a different kind of player to what we have. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

and even Tottenham didn't want him, which should tell you something. 

This is a side that have made two of the best managers of the last 20 years want to kill themselves and quit whilst at that shambolic ragged hellhole. 

If they want Lo Celso gone, he's more than likely class. 

Hey guys, argentinian here. My take on Lo Celso: would be an upgrade over Buendia, better technique, better passer. But he suffers from the same maladies: no defense and disappears from the game often (sometimes the whole game). Low amount of goals for a  creative/offensive midfielder, and even Tottenham didn't want him, which should tell you something. 

I saw that some pointed to his national team selections, don't be fooled by that, he's one of Scaloni's pet players. He's stinked the place most of his games; in fact, if he doesn't get injured pre-WC, we don't win it, period. Both Enzo and Alexis were key for us, and neither of them played much when he was around. 

If you can get him for 30m or so, I'd say it's a decent to good deal (even better if you can swing Emi for cash). More than that, I'd say you're better off searching elsewhere (instead of going for 27y.o. renowned players, try to score some young foreign talent like Brighton is doing, I'd say Buonanotte is not far off from what Lo Celso is now and is a decade younger).

This post kind of reminds me of McGinn when he was struggling at Villa. He kept getting picked because of his great attitude and the manager knew what he was capable of but for whatever reason he just wasn’t producing it on the pitch enough. 

Jose loved him, Scaloni loves him and Unai loved him. There must be a reason for that!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Check out with Jose had to say about him. Sounds like he has a great attitude:

Link

He really was great for Spurs before his injury. The only player that looked capable of changing a game under Jose and his negative tactics. Spurs fans for whatever reason are still wistful for Tanguy N'Dombele to come back, a guy who's done absolutely nothing in a Spurs shirt, because he can drop the shoulder a couple of times a match I guess. 

Hey guys, argentinian here. My take on Lo Celso: would be an upgrade over Buendia, better technique, better passer. But he suffers from the same maladies: no defense and disappears from the game often (sometimes the whole game). Low amount of goals for a  creative/offensive midfielder, and even Tottenham didn't want him, which should tell you something. 

I saw that some pointed to his national team selections, don't be fooled by that, he's one of Scaloni's pet players. He's stinked the place most of his games; in fact, if he doesn't get injured pre-WC, we don't win it, period. Both Enzo and Alexis were key for us, and neither of them played much when he was around. 

If you can get him for 30m or so, I'd say it's a decent to good deal (even better if you can swing Emi for cash). More than that, I'd say you're better off searching elsewhere (instead of going for 27y.o. renowned players, try to score some young foreign talent like Brighton is doing, I'd say Buonanotte is not far off from what Lo Celso is now and is a decade younger).

You think Buendia doesn't contribute defensively?

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

We don’t in this case.  

I would normally be in your shoes completely on this kind of transfer, there are enough niggling doubts to make me think a player of his age and injury record in a position we're not desperate to upgrade, not really a good signing. 

However, I thought the same about Moreno in January and have been blown away and I now trust our set up 110% so if they think he'll offer us something, I will trust them until it's proven otherwise. 

Â