Cup final 9 of 10

zab6359

We'll have a couple of extra days rest (which hasn't really meant anything recently, but still...).

Plop's defence is shaky, which seems to have been the case for years and years, so we definitely have the tools to hurt them. Issue is that they're quick up front so they'll get the better of our high line all afternoon. I'd almost be tempted to play both Kamara and Donk just to try and slow their midfield down a bit.

Getting anything from this game would be a huge bonus. 

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

As long as they got CL to play for its going to be tough

As unlikely as it may be, Deano could do us a massive favour on Monday. 

Whilst it wouldn’t mathematically rule them out, anything apart from a Liverpool win against Leicester all but ends their slim hope of the Top 4.  

What happens on Monday could have a big influence on our trip to Anfield, not only for the players, but the mood of the plop fans aswell. 

13 hours ago, duke313 said:

Don't forget the ref and VAR for them

People say that but down the years I can remember us scoring a few penalties at Anfield, Young slotted one away in his first spell when we won 3-1. Of course last year was an even softer penalty than yesterday with Salah collapsing when Mings sneezed in the area but beyond that I wouldn't say we've been done over at Anfield compared to likes of Stamford Bridge and of course Old Trafford which is in a league of its own for injustices.

With the high line we did play it v them at Boxing Day and they broke through it endless times, luckily Nunez was on the end of the chances rather than Salah. However we did miss 3-4 gilt edge chances ourselves.

We need to sit deep and deny them space and then back ourselves we'll create some key chances ourselves if we move the ball around quickly as they'll be plenty of space left by their full backs going into midfield to try to outnumber us there.

I was at Anfield in 2014 i think it was when we won 1-0 up there, was balotelli's first game. We do seem to get results at Anfield on occasion so I'm glad its there rather than at VP. The thing with them is they have good set piece takers so we need to switch on at all times. Reckon Emery might be able to get something out of this game. Bring it on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I was at Anfield in 2014 i think it was when we won 1-0 up there, was balotelli's first game. We do seem to get results at Anfield on occasion so I'm glad its there rather than at VP. The thing with them is they have good set piece takers so we need to switch on at all times. Reckon Emery might be able to get something out of this game. Bring it on!

Lambert had an insane record there for some reason. First season we had Benteke running amok which probably convinced Rodgers to sign him and won 3-1 (Weimann finished off a lovely team move for one of the goals). Second season we were poor but drew 2-2 and won 2-0 up before their late comeback. This was the season where they finished 2nd so that was probably one of the few games at home they dropped points in until Gerrard slipped.....

Can remember Senderos having a really good game in that 1-0 win you mention.

Think Lambert also got a 1-1 with Norwich and also won at Anfield when he was Wolves manager in FA Cup. Just checked and he even got a 0-0 there when he was relegating Stoke in 2018 which unsurprisingly was his last top flight job.🤣

Since we've come up we've been very competitive home and away v Liverpool so they always have to work to beat us and even more so with Emery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Lambert had an insane record there for some reason. First season we had Benteke running amok which probably convinced Rodgers to sign him and won 3-1 (Weimann finished off a lovely team move for one of the goals). Second season we were poor but drew 2-2 and won 2-0 up before their late comeback. This was the season where they finished 2nd so that was probably one of the few games at home they dropped points in until Gerrard slipped.....

Can remember Senderos having a really good game in that 1-0 win you mention.

Think Lambert also got a 1-1 with Norwich and also won at Anfield when he was Wolves manager in FA Cup. Just checked and he even got a 0-0 there when he was relegating Stoke in 2018 which unsurprisingly was his last top flight job.🤣

Since we've come up we've been very competitive home and away v Liverpool so they always have to work to beat us and even more so with Emery.

yes you are right with senderos, he actually built up a really good partnership at the time with the other center back, then one of them got injured and from there it went downhill! Also at Wembley in the semi final fa cup when grealish announced himself and benteke scored there also. this is the team that we want to play in those top 6 teams imo, much prefer these than a man u or city who will often best us

• Like 1

We really don’t need to fear going to Anfield now, under Emery we have shown we can compete/beat anyone on our day. It won’t be easy of course, Liverpool have come back into form at the wrong time for us, but we are definitely capable of winning there. Three points would be massive, but then so would a draw. 

• Like 1

Think it'll be a similar line up as the Newcastle game. 

We will outnumber them in CM 

Kamara in for one of the attackers to give us 4 in midfield. 

Bailey to play off Ollie for extra pace on the counter or it could be Buendia like vs Newcastle. 

We won't be wearing white shorts, it'll be the Bermuda variety.

And flip flops instead of boots.

Well it worked against Spurssszzzz ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Would be wonderful if Deano could put a dent in Liverpool's momentum and hopefully we could take advantage of that next Saturday. Maybe he could Channel that mindset and gameplan that helped us smash them at an empty Villa Park, if only Vardy had the pace of old. 

A point would be great next week especially if Brentford get something against Spurs, which, atm, looks distinctly possible. I just hope we have something to play for on that last day against Brighton. 

• Like 1

It's not so much our high line I'm afraid of. It's our lapses playing out from the back. Spurs could and should have killed us with the amount of times we hung Emi out to dry. Liverpool will not be that profligate given the chance. Hopefully they'll have studied that and know they can't do it again. Passing the ball to Luiz when a forward is closing in on him unsighted is a disaster waiting to happen.

I can't see us getting anything at Anfield. I can see us getting chances, and we'll have to be clinical with them, but I give this one to them. 2 or 3-1.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's not so much our high line I'm afraid of. It's our lapses playing out from the back. Spurs could and should have killed us with the amount of times we hung Emi out to dry. Liverpool will not be that profligate given the chance. Hopefully they'll have studied that and know they can't do it again. Passing the ball to Luiz when a forward is closing in on him unsighted is a disaster waiting to happen.

I can't see us getting anything at Anfield. I can see us getting chances, and we'll have to be clinical with them, but I give this one to them. 2 or 3-1.

Given how many chances we gifted them the first time we played them I wonder if Emery will try the same thing?

We have got better at it since, but so have Liverpool. Also, we're at their place. 

And finally, the ref and VAR will be all over giving them every added benefit. 

It's going too be difficult, but I can see us scoring a goal whatever happens. A draw a distinct possibility. 

But if we do win, It's probably going to be about how wasteful they end up being and how many times we give VAR a window to favour them. Which is a bit of a shit way to look at considering the form we're in. 

• Like 1