"The Terrace View" - Upper Holte Lounge

OutByEaster?

On 30/08/2023 at 22:56, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t resent anyone but for some people it’s an issue of affordability at a difficult time for finances in general. The old single terrace all standing Holte thst we all knew and loved, was popular first of all many years ago because people could afford it. As a place that lots of Villa fans could afford it was popular and became a rallying point both during and between games. It’s now famous in England and throughout the world. It was the greatest single terrace ever created and it was always more than just concrete and steal. It’s important within football in general but particularly to us Villa fans, in my most humble opinion but quite likely many Villa fans and possibly the fans of other clubs would agree. It’s our heart and soul in my oppinion, wouldn’t you agree?Decisions made by a briefly employed CEO with no real emotional attachment to Villa or our city has damaged us. I ask the question, would he have, or got away with doing this to his beloved Kop at Anfield?  It’s damage done that needs to be rectified. There’s plenty of space in other areas of the stadium for gentrification, The Holte End isn’t one of them. In my opinion of course. Cultural vandalism at its worst. Would Steve Stride ever have done or allowed such a thing to be done? I doubt it, because he understood Aston Villa. I’m not even sure Doug would have allowed it and let’s face it he could easily be accused of being a vandal as we know! 

They do have something virtually identical to the TV in the Kop at Anfield.

The Carlsberg Dugout - The Kop

• Match ticket in far wing section of the Main Stand middle tier (Block M9)  
  • Access to the lounge three hours prior to kick-off and up to one hour after the game* 
  • A vibrant mix of complimentary street food stalls (served up to kick-off) 
  • A half-time refreshment (pre-poured beer/house wine/soft drink) 
  • Pay bar available (card payment only)
  • Visit from a former LFC player  
  • Complimentary matchday programme 
  • In-lounge betting facilities  
  • Satellite TV broadcasting the LFCTV channel and match highlights 
  • Free WiFi

Offering seems familiar, although you don't even get a seat in the Kop for your £500 a game...

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, punkymonkey666 said:

• Access to the lounge three hours prior to kick-off and up to one hour after the game* 
  • Free WiFi

Offering seems familiar, although you don't even get a seat in the Kop for your £500 a game...

£500....per game?! ... but hey, free street food.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

£500....per game?! ... but hey, free street food.

Liverpool V Aston Villa

Sun 03 Sep 2023 14:00 Anfield
PLEASE NOTE: Refreshing this page multiple times within a short timescale or having multiple browsers open, may result in you being temporarily blocked
Main Stand Middle
Area M9 / Row 49 / Seat 242
Adult Hospitality
‪£‬440.00

Being fair, they have dropped the price for tomorrow's game 😂

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's entirely my point. The accusation was that this was purely a vanity project driven by one individual. 

It clearly isn't. It's a project desired by the club and owners who desire to make more money.  

If it was an unwanted vanity project the owners will clearly backtrack. They're not going to because it's part of their strategy which would unquestionably have been delivered with their blessing. 

It's here and here it will stay.  Heck may put his stamp on it to change it though. 

I seen I had a notification from you when I came on here. Why did I instantly think it would be Purslow related.    :ph34r:

17 hours ago, blandy said:

That it was driven by one individual, almost certainly, but acting under a need to raise revenue sources. The specifics are in my opinion entirely within the realm of the CEO, but would have been communicated to the owners. They (IMO) didn't block it, but I very much doubt it was anything other than a CEO led thing.

Others may view it differently, of course, and that's fine.

@sidcow I think we have all covered enough ground on that individually over the last few months and we all have our opinions of what we think and see.

I'll keep this brief as possible without steering the thread off course and I've tried to explain this numerous times already.

Now, either someone has approached him with the idea and he has signed it off - being the CEO, he can. He was running the show on behalf of the owners and had the authority to make such descisions.

Or, he has approached the owners with this plan idea of the HETV and they agree the idea looks good and sign it off for approval.

Along the way, what was obviously happened, a major tits up has gone on somewhere because from what I am seeing, reading and now heard on Thursday night that not many people are impressed by the whole thing.

My point is, What was planned on paper, sold to the fans and signed off for approval is not what's been delivered imo.

It has the hallmarks of a Purslow project all over it.

I highly doubt NasWes would have implemented such a half arsed project, wanted the negative reaction that's coming from it and I would be very suprised to learn they agreed that this was what was planned when signed off.

I imagine all is not lost (apart from some of  IHE HOLTE END) and Heck becoming the new Nicola Keye here, will already be getting to work rectifying the mess left behind by the clown that is no longer with us.

I imagine the HETV won't be the onky thing that's under review either.

Coming off the hard shoulder and back on topic, I think the whole HETV could actually be a good experience eventually after it's been adapted when done correctly.

11 hours ago, punkymonkey666 said:

• Free WiFi

Ah, so that's where Purslow got the idea.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, punkymonkey666 said:

It’s not at all “virtually identical”. It’s in their equivalent of the Trinity road stand. It is not in the Kop, nor is it in the dugout, for that matter.

So can we please stick to the topic of the Terrace view.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah, so that's where Purslow got the idea.

With him being a Liverpool fan, it wouldn't have been hard to understand where he mirrored the idea. Just a shame he made a **** of the whole thing nearly IMO!

So obsessed with revenue generating that he trampled on the fans to get what he wanted and where he needed to be to back up his self proclaimed "Fernando Torres of finance" mantra.

Imo, it will probably cost the club as much £££ to change and put right (Along with some of the other areas) Hopefully something can be salvaged from it eventually and it turns out to be something decent in the end.

Personally, I don't think it was needed in the first place.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

On 31/08/2023 at 08:48, limpid said:

I agree that the problem is with the clubm but you did say this:

I read this as you resenting these fans and separating "we" fans from them. Apologies if I misunderstood.

You did misunderstand apology accapted thank you. 

• Like 1

I don’t want to go off topic, but just as a comparison I wanted to share my experience from Anfield today.

I was in their hospitality section, for which my ticket had a face value of £479. I can assure that I did not pay for it, I was a corporate guest!

On that ticket, you have access to an unlimited food buffet before the game, and receive a match day programme. There are no drinks vouchers, but you do get ONE free drink at half time.

The seat has a cushion, and it was located in the middle tier of the equivalent of our Trinity Road stand, basically close to the far end where our North Stand is (so at the opposite side to where the Kop/Holte End holds the home fans).

The hospitality area was basically the same as the Terrace View in terms of facilities, but bigger and with a larger capacity.

Now obviously Liverpool have been more successful than Villa (and have a larger following?) so you would expect their pricing to be higher, but I can honestly say that I thought £82 per game for the Terrace View compares very favourably with what I experienced today at a price of £479.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

I don’t want to go off topic, but just as a comparison I wanted to share my experience from Anfield today.

I was in their hospitality section, for which my ticket had a face value of £479. I can assure that I did not pay for it, I was a corporate guest!

On that ticket, you have access to an unlimited food buffet before the game, and receive a match day programme. There are no drinks vouchers, but you do get ONE free drink at half time.

The seat has a cushion, and it was located in the middle tier of the equivalent of our Trinity Road stand, basically close to the far end where our North Stand is (so at the opposite side to where the Kop/Holte End holds the home fans).

The hospitality area was basically the same as the Terrace View in terms of facilities, but bigger and with a larger capacity.

Now obviously Liverpool have been more successful than Villa (and have a larger following?) so you would expect their pricing to be higher, but I can honestly say that I thought £82 per game for the Terrace View compares very favourably with what I experienced today at a price of £479.

This sounds very much like the 82 Lounge in the Trinity Road Stand, that's the comparison price I think you'd be looking at for that, I think comparing it to the TV for value is a a little misleading.

I don't think it's easy to find relative comparisons for this area - the nearest thing I'm aware of to it is probably the Holte Suite - but if anyone can find a pseudo-hospitality experience in the main end terrace of another club, then it'd certainly be interesting to see..

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This sounds very much like the 82 Lounge in the Trinity Road Stand, that's the comparison price I think you'd be looking at for that, I think comparing it to the TV for value is a a little misleading.

I don't think it's easy to find relative comparisons for this area - the nearest thing I'm aware of to it is probably the Holte Suite - but if anyone can find a pseudo-hospitality experience in the main end terrace of another club, then it'd certainly be interesting to see..

Oh ok, I’ve not been in the 82 Lounge. I know that Newcastle are creating new hospitality lounges everywhere they can at St James Park, and interestingly they have put in a planning application to create a Box Park type set up directly outside St James Park, which I think will divert a lot of traffic from their normal concourses pre-game and post-game, but obviously not at half time. I suspect the motivation is to generate more income from fans both attending and not attending the matches, but also to keep general admission fans happy as it’s providing new facilities for them.

Maybe Villa are missing a trick by not doing something similar….

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Maybe Villa are missing a trick by not doing something similar….

Yep, the biggest issue at Villa Park at the moment is the complete lack of any kind of investment or improvement to the existing facilities available to general access fans.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, the biggest issue at Villa Park at the moment is the complete lack of any kind of investment or improvement to the existing facilities available to general access fans.

The main difference with Newcastle is that St James Park is right in the middle of the city centre. It’s literally a 5 minute walk from Eldon Square which is the equivalent of the Bullring, so it’s easier to market it as a destination for non-match going customers, and also to run at a profit on non-match days as the footfall is already there. Creating a Box Park type set up outside Villa Park might not work because other than match days it would probably only appeal to fans on days when away games were being shown on big screens. Clearly though with the feeling the Terrace View has created, the club either need to massively improve concourse facilities or think outside the box for another solution.

• Like 1

Â