"The Terrace View" - Upper Holte Lounge

OutByEaster?

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

Just like my opinion is that booing other Villa fans and actively encouraging your son to do so as well isn’t exactly “father of the year” material. 

I think you need to read it again buddy, I don't and will never boo Villa fans... if you're gonna question my parenting at least get your facts right first. I boo the adverts, and I'm not alone

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

We're not talking about lower league and non league teams, are we?

The blackout is redundant for the Premier League and harkens back to an age when the majority of teams weren't filling their stadiums and the league was desperate to promote and grow, so it made sense then. That day is long since gone and the opposite problem is true now, with Villa Park being a prime example: most stadia need to be expanded.

Ask yourself why people in America, central and eastern Europe, the Near/Middle/Far East and Antipodes should be able to watch all games live?

It's because they can't be there to watch it in the flesh, innit? Well nor can half of Villa's fanbase in the UK & Ireland. But you'd have that remain the case while seeing Villa and other Premier League clubs continue to charge those who can (barely, in many cases) afford it more and more every year, meanwhile taking the piss with silly hospitality packages which represent the only way some people can attend now.

You have fundamentally misunderstood the reason for the black out. 

If every premier league 3pm kick off was available to watch on TV how many fans would go to watch shrewsbury, port vale or for that matter Solihull or even the likes of Coleshill when they - at the moment - have nothing better to do with their time?

Anyhow it’s not that restrictive anyway because if anyone wants to watch a game in the UK they can via VPN anyway. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, est1874 said:

We're not talking about lower league and non league teams, are we?

Yes we are. Their attendances would be hit if everyone was at home watching Man United on telly instead of going to watch Stockport County or watching Villa instead of going to Halesowen or Tamworth. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I think you need to read it again buddy, I don't and will never boo Villa fans... if you're gonna question my parenting at least get your facts right first. I boo the adverts, and I'm not alone

Oh the old you’re making an erudite social commentary on the capitalist takeover of a game that used to belong to the working man and not booing the very people actually sat in those very seats. 

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

Oh the old you’re making an erudite social commentary on the capitalist takeover of a game that used to belong to the working man and not booing the very people actually sat in those very seats. 

If you don't understand maybe you shouldn't comment, or just block me. I doubt I'd notice either

13 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

You have fundamentally misunderstood the reason for the black out. 

If every premier league 3pm kick off was available to watch on TV how many fans would go to watch shrewsbury, port vale or for that matter Solihull or even the likes of Coleshill when they - at the moment - have nothing better to do with their time?

Anyhow it’s not that restrictive anyway because if anyone wants to watch a game in the UK they can via VPN anyway. 

So then if "anyone" can watch via VPN then the blackout doesn't work does it? And there'd be no impact to your Shrewsbury or Solihull attendances.

Same point to sidcow.

It's a nonsense argument.

Just now, sidcow said:

Yes we are. Their attendances would be hit if everyone was at home watching Man United on telly instead of going to watch Stockport County or watching Villa instead of going to Halesowen or Tamworth. 

A very sizable part of the footballing pyramid - across the lower levels of the eleven levels (I think) of the football pyramid - would disappear within one season if 3pm Saturday games were televised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

So then if "anyone" can watch via VPN then the blackout doesn't work does it? And there'd be no impact to your Shrewsbury or Solihull attendances.

Same point to sidcow.

It's a nonsense argument.

You do know that tens of thousands of people wouldn't use a cheat or dodgy box, and tens of thousands of possibly older people wouldn't know how. 

It's not a nonsense argument at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You do know that tens of thousands of people wouldn't use a cheat or dodgy box, and tens of thousands of possibly older people wouldn't know how. 

It's not a nonsense argument at all. 

These are the same people who'll fork out over £100 for Terrace View are they? Or are we talking about those who won't pay £16 to go watch Shrewsbury because Man United are on the tellybox? 

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

These are the same people who'll fork out over £100 for Terrace View are they? Or are we talking about those who won't pay £16 to go watch Shrewsbury because Man United are on the tellybox? 

wait-what.gif

24 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Whilst this is a thread about the Terrace View, the fact there are people that will pay for it as an offering has nothing to do with the fact there are people who attend lower league games because there is no easy or cheaper way for them to watch their PL team.

I, and I imagine many others, don't have a lower league team I support. There probably isn't any football ground in League 2 or above closer to my home than Villa Park, so I don't really have an affinity to any of then.

But those that do,  probably watch them on a Saturday at 3pm. And a subset of those would take the opportunity to stay at home and watch the villa, or man united, or whoever else they follow at the same time if the option to do so was readily available via a TV package they already subscribe to.

As for booing the idea behind the TerraceView, to each their own, but hopefully whenever said person is doing it it can't be misconstrued by the people in the Terrace View as them being booed. 

I don't agree with the gentrification that's happened, but it does look like for all the plastics and away supporters it let's sneak in, there are many genuine fans taking advantage of it and its given them an opportunity to give Villa more money whilst also experiencing the Holte end that they may not have otherwise been able to. 

Edited by MrBlack
TV / TV clarification

38 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Whilst this is a thread about the Terrace View, the fact there are people that will pay for it as an offering has nothing to do with the fact there are people who attend lower league games because there is no easy or cheaper way for them to watch their PL team.

I, and I imagine many others, don't have a lower league team I support. There probably isn't any football ground in League 2 or above closer to my home than Villa Park, so I don't really have an affinity to any of then.

But those that do,  probably watch them on a Saturday at 3pm. And a subset of those would take the opportunity to stay at home and watch the villa, or man united, or whoever else they follow at the same time if the option to do so was readily available via a TV package they already subscribe to.

As for booing the idea behind the TerraceView, to each their own, but hopefully whenever said person is doing it it can't be misconstrued by the people in the Terrace View as them being booed. 

I don't agree with the gentrification that's happened, but it does look like for all the plastics and away supporters it let's sneak in, there are many genuine fans taking advantage of it and its given them an opportunity to give Villa more money whilst also experiencing the Holte end that they may not have otherwise been able to. 

I doubt they'd hear me from the Trinity. Like I said before, I don't agree with it so I boo the adverts, I'm not alone in doing this. It doesn't make me a bad parent or a bad fan.

If folk wanna pay the extra that's up to them. As a member I fork out quite a lot already for me and my lad and we travel around different parts of the ground as its his first season. He boos cos he wants to sit in the Holte where his dad used to be and my dad used to be.. There are many other reasons not related to football why the TV option wouldn't suit us, the price is just one of them.

Edited by Talldarkandransome
  • Like 1

I don't think the 3PM blackout is valid any more. I do go to my local non-league and I do so even midweek when the Champions League is on. 

Fans that go to games are not the same fans that watch on the TV. The TV games are also on Saturdays, people who attend Saturday games will mostly miss the other televised games anyway even if they rush home. 

I only support Aston Villa.  I would pay for Terrace View or Lower Ground tickets. 

I would never go to watch a football match between two random teams, especially two in lower leagues. 

I don’t even watch any other football games on TV except Villa matches. 

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I only support Aston Villa.  I would pay for Terrace View or Lower Ground tickets. 

I would never go to watch a football match between two random teams, especially two in lower leagues. 

I don’t even watch any other football games on TV except Villa matches. 

Kind of where im at.

TV isnt going anywhere so no point moaning about it anymore.

Thwy need to just improve the service in other places in the ground

On 13/12/2023 at 13:13, MrBlack said:

A good friend of mine is back over Xmas, he lives abroad and has done since his early 20s. We met as 15 year old season tickets holders, he later moved to my school and we've been mates for 25 years.

Hes not a plastic fan but was really pleased to be able to take advantage of terrace view seats for the burnley game. He simply wasn't getting a seat otherwise. I feel sorry for those that can't afford them but I absolutely think they have a space. 

The real issue was created when villa decided to sell 75% of the ground to season ticket holders. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

A good friend of mine is back over Xmas, he lives abroad and has done since his early 20s. We met as 15 year old season tickets holders, he later moved to my school and we've been mates for 25 years.

Hes not a plastic fan but was really pleased to be able to take advantage of terrace view seats for the burnley game. He simply wasn't getting a seat otherwise. I feel sorry for those that can't afford them but I absolutely think they have a space. 

The real issue was created when villa decided to sell 75% of the ground to season ticket holders. 

I've sold my ticket 3 times the past few months and the only one that sold was City game. I don't understand these people that say they cant get tickets, honestly.

Are seats still or were they ever being blocked off from general sale for this terrace view malarkey?

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

63.1%.

I kinda like the example of the returning fan that's lived abroad for a while, or the lifetime fan making a rare long distance trip to Villa Park using the Terrace View to get tickets - that, for me, should be what it's for, it's a great single opportunity for those that might otherwise not get to go for a number of reasons. It might have a better press if it were called something like the International Lounge.

Where the club got it wrong was in the idea that every place would be snapped up by existing Upper Holte Enders, and then the realisation that that wouldn't happen (I think in the end less than a hundred did) created a pickle that created a storm.

On top of that, a lack of planning meant that the club made no provision to improve things for existing Upper Holte Enders in time for launch and the concourses were worse when the Terrace View opened than before it existed, with less space and ageing facilities, if that had been done in tandem with Terrace View then I think again, the landing would have been softer. It's been improved since and it's something they're acutely aware of, but timing perhaps hurt the Terrace View in terms of how they carried it out.

The bigger problem is in ticketing - because once existing Upper Holte Enders decided they didn't have the cash and weren't interested, fitting Terrace View members into the Upper Holte became a real problem - the big victims of that problem are members who like to sit in the Upper Holte - that's a lot harder than it used to be and many of those people have been doing that for...well, their whole lives.

I'm not quite sure if there's a solution to that - perhaps they could have priced it differently or sold it differently - with a certain amount going to Upper Holte season ticket holders on a cheaper basis and then a lesser amount going on sale as they do now, perhaps a ballot for existing season ticket holders so a limited amount got it as an 'experience' for free - anything to reduce the pressure of having to suddenly find room for another 800+ people in the Upper Holte on every single matchday.

There are things I think the club will learn from this - I have a feeling that they won't be putting lapsed season tickets in the Upper Holte back on sale for a few years as they try to reduce the pressure on spaces up there - who knows, perhaps they'll also make it more viable for existing season ticket holders at the same time - they're learning and I'm sure they'll be thinking about ways to make it easier after the initial shock of realisation that Holte Enders don't all have an extra £400 to throw in each year.

I think it's important that there remains a route for those fans that have supported the club their whole lives but don't have the ability to make it every week, those from abroad, and that those whose jobs don't allow it and so on are able to get into the ground. 

I think it's vital that the interests of season ticket holders are protected, those are the people that were there in the darker days, those are the people that put money in up front, season after season, they're the people who have put up with huge price rises over the last three years, an erosion of benefits and an increasing pressure in understanding that if they can't renew they might not get another chance for a decade - don't be in any doubt, the club sold those season tickets because the club needed those people - season ticket holders are the lifeblood of the club - they aren't the issue.

The unfortunates in this one are members, or maybe families that one day hoped their youngest would join them in the Upper Holte, for them it's an area that is now cut off due to the pressure of accommodating the Terrace View - but that's life, it'll settle and it'll become a part of the fabric of Villa Park - if the club don't resell lapsed season tickets and then the new North Stand happens, the pressure on space will go and I think we'll see this become what it was designed to be - it'll be a pity that a simple mistake with an assumption on how it would sell means it'll take four or five years to be properly appreciated.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
Â