"The Terrace View" - Upper Holte Lounge

OutByEaster?

9 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

And for some strange reason you’ve drifted into telling me what you think my words mean. When did I say I resented anyone? It’s not Villa fans fault at all. The blame is firmly at the door of our former CEO. That isn’t my opinion but a straight fact. Thank goodness he’s no longer here, but I’m not sure that this is the end of the damage he’s already done. 

I agree that the problem is with the clubm but you did say this:

We’re not and don’t want to be sophisticated modern fans, whatever they are? 

I read this as you resenting these fans and separating "we" fans from them. Apologies if I misunderstood.

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

It's not a "straight fact" though, is it. You've no idea who drove this idea. 

Enlighten us then. Who was behind this wonderful **** up this time instead?

If you're going to criticise someone's suggestion, then at least fill in the blanks of an alternative name of blame.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Enlighten us then. Who was behind this wonderful **** up this time instead?

If you're going to criticise someone's suggestion, then at least fill in the blanks of an alternative name of blame.

I don't know who was behind this wonderful **** up. I'm not in the meetings, not on the Zoom calls and they don't email me asking for my opinion.

It may have been Purslow. It might have been Edens. Perhaps Sawiris was the driving force. I would assume Chief Commercial Officer Nicola Ibbotson was involved in the decisions making process also. Or, likeliest, all party to the process.

What I do know, for "fact" is that none of the fans know who was behind this wonderful **** up and people claiming they do know, "as fact" at best don't know the meaning of the word fact, or at worst, are apportioning blame to fit a narrative they are pursuing. 

• Like 3

One of the biggest issues is the sheer size that the Terrace View Lounge occupies AND what the club currently hasn't done with the much reduced lower concourse (of the two concourses in the Upper Holte). I'm hoping to have time tonight to have a look at that space and then post an idea or two of how some of the issues could be rectified or reduced.

This isn't, or at least shouldn't be, the end story for the Upper Holte End.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I don't know who was behind this wonderful **** up. I'm not in the meetings, not on the Zoom calls and they don't email me asking for my opinion.

It may have been Purslow. It might have been Edens. Perhaps Sawiris was the driving force. I would assume Chief Commercial Officer Nicola Ibbotson was involved in the decisions making process also. Or, likeliest, all party to the process.

What I do know, for "fact" is that none of the fans know who was behind this wonderful **** up and people claiming they do know, "as fact" at best don't know the meaning of the word fact, or at worst, are apportioning blame to fit a narrative they are pursuing. 

So you're not convinced it was Purslow - or even 'who' for that matter? 

That's fine, so if you're not sure yourself, then why are you pulling up others who are laying blame to the person who made it well known they were involved and behind in this and other things?

I don't mind defence, but don't leap to someone's rescue when they've a list of errors, then try and say you're not sure if it all was him or not that was behind it.

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So you're not convinced it was Purslow - or even 'who' for that matter? 

That's fine, so if you're not sure yourself, then why are you pulling up others who are laying blame to the person who made it well known they were involved and behind in this and other things?

I don't mind defence, but don't leap to someone's rescue when they've a list of errors, then try and say you're not sure if it all was him or not that was behind it.

He / she stated it was a fact that Purslow was behind The Terrace View.

It's not a fact. We're all clear on that.

Regarding the bit in bold, why can't I do this?

one thing that is absolutely fact, christian purslow left on 13th june. bruce springsteen played at villa park on the 16th, so terrace view work had yet to begin and therefore all TV work happened after CP left.

if CP was indeed the driving force, and those in charge when TV work was due to begin thought it was a shocker of an idea by CP, they had plenty of time to pull the plug on it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Regarding the bit in bold, why can't I do this?

Who and what are you defending, if you don't know 100% who is at fault for the catalogue of errors in the last few seasons (which you stated a moment ago you didn't know.)

I am just looking for clarification, I'm not looking for an argument or trying to trick you.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Who and what are you defending, if you don't know 100% who is at fault for the catalogue of errors in the last few seasons (which you stated a moment ago you didn't know.)

I am just looking for clarification, I'm not looking for an argument or trying to trick you.

The idea of blaming someone and defending someone is absurd. 

Alas, my point was, it isn't a fact that Christian Purslow is behind The Terrace View. I'm sure you agree with this too as you will be aware of what "fact" means. I'm not defending anyone, nor am I investing any unnecessary energy into blaming someone for something I have zero control over.

Let's leave this now. UTV.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

christian purslow left on 13th june. bruce springsteen played at villa park on the 16th, so terrace view work had yet to begin and therefore all TV work happened after CP left.

if CP was indeed the driving force, and those in charge when TV work was due to begin thought it was a shocker of an idea by CP, they had plenty of time to pull the plug on it

Not necessarily.

These things take time and work doesn't just start on the project the day after plans are submitted and signed off - especislly when the ink on the plans hadn't even dried.

26 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So am I, which was what I've asked the OP to explain as I'm lost too.

If the mess wasn't Purslow, then I guess it was spmeone elses doing? Maybe it was Doris, or someone else. 

I forgot "Christian the untouchable" sn't allowed a bad word spoken about him on here. My bad!

What if it was 100% down to Purslow, with him doing everything in his power to persuade the owners it was the correct decision?

What if it was near 0% Purslow with him saying he didn't like the TVL but he was told to oversee the survey and get on with it?

Add on the fact that CP no longer works for Villa and it's all a bit pointless.

It was probably a collective board decision, but even that doesn't really matter. Especially as given the overall direction the club is currently heading, this issue is unlikely see fans wanting NSWE out.

What matters to me is how any negative impact can be rectified, reduced or compensated.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not necessarily.

These things take time and work doesn't just start on the project the day after plans are submitted and signed off - especislly when the ink on the plans hadn't even dried.

agree. but people saying it was all his doing are wrong because he wasn't even here when the work started. they could've stopped it if they had any reservations

as others said above, it was almost certainly signed off by the board, heck, and ibbotson. whose brainchild the whole thing was, we'll never know

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

The idea of blaming someone and defending someone is absurd. 

Alas, my point was, it isn't a fact that Christian Purslow is behind The Terrace View. I'm sure you agree with this too as you will be aware of what "fact" means. I'm not defending anyone, nor am I investing any unnecessary energy into blaming someone for something I have zero control over.

Let's leave this now. UTV.

It's not just 'an idea' though is it?

I agree. We could spend another 10 pages going over and over it and I guess the same cluster of posters would continue to do their upmost in their defence of the guy.

I mean Villa Park could have collapsed and Purslow be the only one standing after the dust has settled, with a drill in his hand. And it would be safe to say that blame would still be diverted elsewhere by some.

So I agree, prob best we leave it there.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

What matters to me is how any negative impact can be rectified, reduced or compensated.

this is something i'd like put to the FCG meeting. maybe another survey. how would holte end season ticket holders feel about another price hike, but with the terrace view being open to all? just take away the free program and beers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

agree. but people saying it was all his doing are wrong because he wasn't even here when the work started. they could've stopped it if they had any reservations

as others said above, it was almost certainly signed off by the board, heck, and ibbotson. whose brainchild the whole thing was, we'll never know

I disagree.

On 29/08/2023 at 22:48, AvfcRigo82 said:

I get that but I do not believe we can lay blame at their door for this. (NasWes)

They will have signed off what looked a glorious idea on paper (TTV) when presented with it (by Purslow), but I don't think they will be impressed on how it has all gone pear shaped and the goalposts have been moved somewhat in the process.

'I'll get the fans view and I'll submit that, but what will be delivered will be better in my vanity led opinion'.

This isn't the first incident it's happened on either. The gambling and sponsorship is one example and the club badge being another example.

So the logic of 'he wasn't here when the work started' doesn't really work imo.

He wasn't here when the kits were released with that awful sponsor and he had left by this point - so the sponsor would have had nothing to do with him based on that logic?

The new club badge was launched, but again, this happened after he left. So he was obviously nothing to do with the club badge either?

They couldn't have been signed off or anything to do Heck as he wasn't even here at any stage of this until most of it was at the point of launch.

I think you get me though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’m convinced that much of the TV rage is actually displaced rage against the pricing increases over the last few years and the club amplified this by not focusing on service levels for normal season ticket holders. 

Possibly, but I think it goes hand in hand for me. The prices have gone up and the concourses have got worse because of the space taken up by the TV.

I think someone mentioned further up in this thread that we pay for our season tickets to watch the games and we're not paying for the facilities. Maybe that's true, but either way, I'd rather not be spending the last 10 minutes of the half wondering if me and my small bladdered dad should risk missing a goal and start heading down now to avoid a long queue for a piss.

We were there an hour before kick off against Everton and there was already a 5-10 minute queue for a drink, 5 or 6 peope in front of us. I've given up on the idea of getting refreshments at half-time.

Hopefully they've at least swept the floors a little before tonight, that'd be appreciated. 

Sorry, I've gone on a rant again. It's still winding me up :D

21 minutes ago, brommy said:

What if it was 100% down to Purslow, with him doing everything in his power to persuade the owners it was the correct decision?

What if it was near 0% Purslow with him saying he didn't like the TVL but he was told to oversee the survey and get on with it?

Add on the fact that CP no longer works for Villa and it's all a bit pointless.

It was probably a collective board decision, but even that doesn't really matter. Especially as given the overall direction the club is currently heading, this issue is unlikely see fans wanting NSWE out.

Mate, I agree with you in large parts.

Yes, to a degree it's a bit of a pointless debate, but a debate that's still happening all the same as there appears to be a bit of a live problem with the Holte End due to some recent works and it's caused a bit of a stir amongst fans for various reasons.

I do not lay blame at NasWes door - without them, this discussion wouldn't even be happening anyway.

I just find it laughable that the guy responsible for large parts of it is defended by the same usual crowd.

C'est la vie.

Â