• Watkins
    • Olsen (Martínez 45)
    • Chambers (Young 66)
    • Digne (Moreno 66)
    • Traoré (Dendoncker 66)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/04/23 at 18:00

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

This, when you know you have a world class keeper behind you, you feel more confident.

When you have a clown behind you, its puts extra pressure on you and you make more mistakes! 

Olsen is not a commanding keeper at all. Would be one of the 1st out the door end of the season if we want to push on. 

We went about 15 yards deeper with this change and it took until our subs for us to sort it out. 

I gave motm to Konsa, aside from one rash challenge on the edge of their 6yrd box, he showed consistent composure with the ball. 

I know one thing for certain, under previous management we would never have come out of that game with a point.

• Like 1

First 75 mins very sloppy and I wish we'd turned it on sooner. Grateful to clinch a point, even though I don't think it'll be enough for where we want to go, with United, Liverpool, Spurs and Brighton left to play.

How the league has facilitated a situation where any team has 3 games in hand at this stage of the season (Brighton) is beyond me. Flashbacks to the Covid year due to postponed games etc, but pretty ridiculous.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Probably should have lost, could have ended up winning.

Team not at the races today and Brentford played with good intensity, Watkins was really off the pace for some reason. Fingers crossed nothing serious for Emi M.

I’ll take a point all things considered.

Ollie just becoming a dad again showed today. Bet he's hardly had any kip the last few days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Given that we were outplayed from the 10th minute until the 65th, I'll take the draw.

First, credit to Thomas Frank, who got the tactics right for Brentford. They frustrated us for that entire stretch.

The first 20 minutes of the second half made me realize how important Emi has become for our side beyond being a shot stopper or even a sweeper keeper. Without him as a viable passing option, we didn't seem to have a way to break their press or build from the back. We were already having an off-day, and that disoriented us even more. Olsen wasn't particularly bad, but he's no Emi.

The subs after the Brentford goal changed the match. (Too bad we didn't get them on sooner...it seemed like about 5 minutes that we were waiting for an opportunity.) We had been so ineffective on our right for most of the match that they were able to focus on the left and middle and shut us down. Traore and Chambers (who seemed to have more license to go forward than Young) gave us some width and we were able to advance the ball on that side often enough to stretch their defence a bit. That opened up space on our left for the goal.

MOTM? To me, nobody played well enough to be a standout. I guess I have to give it to Doug for the goal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

This match highlights the need for another option in wide midfield and at 10 of high quality.

We desperately need a bit of genuine pace out wide

• Like 1

Lots of giddy folk on here after Newcastle welcoming champions league football. We’ve played twice in a week and looked leggy today. It’s not football manager, we aren’t going signing 7-8 top players in the summer . Will be the core of what we have now with 2-3 additions. 

• Like 2

Probably the worst performance under Unai but I did expect a drop off after last week.

We come away with a point from a game we deserved to lose and keep the unbeaten run going. That's a positive sign to take away from today at least. 

1 minute ago, Ponky said:

So does Martinez get at least half a clean sheet on his record here?

Good question. As he wasn't playing when we conceded I'd say yes. Not sure though

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Lots of giddy folk on here after Newcastle welcoming champions league football. We’ve played twice in a week and looked leggy today. It’s not football manager, we aren’t going signing 7-8 top players in the summer . Will be the core of what we have now with 2-3 additions. 

There was an outside chance of us getting CL. We have a manager who wants to win The CL. We will build our squad. I think today was more a mental tiredness if anything. It was encouraging we finished much stronger than Brentford.

Â