• Watkins
    • Olsen (Martínez 45)
    • Chambers (Young 66)
    • Digne (Moreno 66)
    • Traoré (Dendoncker 66)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/04/23 at 18:00

22 minutes ago, supermon said:

I only watched a snippet of the game in the first half but what I saw was quite a lot of long balls over the defense. Unai does play a dangerous game with that high line. Having said that credit to Unai and the team, first time in a while we went down and didn't score the first goal, didn't capitulate n showed spirit to draw n nearly nick a win

Think we held the high line well in the first half. 2nd half when we were a bit deeper and we struggled. I think Olsen coming on meant we had to play a bit different.

• Like 2

I couldn't make my mind up whether Villa had returned to their old ways or they were struggling to cope with Brentford's press.

Brentford managed to bottle up several of Villa's players including Watkins and McGinn - Buendia got progressively frustrated.

Dendoncker made me nervous.

Villa started to knock it long, to no avail.

Moreno and a few others struggled with their touch and didn't make much of an impression.

Villa escaped when Olsen failed to hold a loose ball and Schade missed his chance, although he looked to have been offside.

Once Brentford had scored it looked inlikely Villa would get anything from the game.

It looked a bit too much like old Villa and not enough like new Villa - but a point was very welcome.

• Like 1

Very frustrating  game after Newcastle but that's where we are. Brentford lack quality but are well coached and found a way around our system but failed to capitalise with poor finishing. 

We only started playing when we went behind, might be our mindset or the subs but they definitely made a difference and Bertie played well and so did Dignes, how he never got a foul when he was kicked in the head is a mystery, unbelievable really. 

Happy with the point , Brentford were the better team, wonder if Martinez's bug /illness has affected  more of our players? 

The injuries are killing us a bit. Cash, Bailey, Coutinho, Kamara would all have played a part today, either from the start or as subs to try and influence the game. All in all another good away performance, only 2 sides have won at Brentford this season.

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Olsen.. it isnt his fault that Gerrard bought him but seriously what were our scouting team doing. 

Whoever scouts our keepers needs sacking. We haven't been able to identify decent goalies going all the way back to Bruce. The exception is Emi, but cutler identified him when our scouting team failed to do so. 

Newcastle fans gave Villa a lot of credit last week and gotta do the same to Brentford this week. Realistically lucky to get a point out of this game, first half was 50/50 maybe Brentford edged it but second half Villa were poor and didn’t turn up till the last 10 mins really. 

Martinez going off made the defence more nervy and it was only a matter of time by the time they scored. Can just see how much improvement there is in the team under Emery, would normally go on to concede a quick second and then probably lose 3-0, I would be writing about how much of a soft underbelly there is to this team etc but instead we take the draw and run. 

9 games unbeaten is nothing to be sniffed at,  touchwood should be 10 after Tuesday which would be a bigger achievement then the 10 wins in a row in the Championshp. 

Edited by RichW
  • Like 2

It’s always hard to get a good back up keeper as you just don’t rotate that position like outfielders. No offense to Olsen but the team seemed nervous with him in, rarely passed back to beat the press and just looked so much more vulnerable. 

if we are going to play out from the back really need a back up to match.

good draw, rough day could have nicked it at the end.

15 minutes ago, villaslash said:

It’s always hard to get a good back up keeper as you just don’t rotate that position like outfielders. No offense to Olsen but the team seemed nervous with him in, rarely passed back to beat the press and just looked so much more vulnerable. 

if we are going to play out from the back really need a back up to match.

good draw, rough day could have nicked it at the end.

Olsen is probably a lovely bloke but all my Roma fan mates were in hysterics that we paid actual money for him. He had a mare over here. I've seen maybe a few moments in all the time he's played for us where he looked like a goalkeeper.

54 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Only seen the highlights but I'm fine with a point. We normally lose this fixture and a point makes it that much harder for Brentford to potentially overtake us.

Brentford only lost 2 at home this season too, 1 being Man City, so a point I'll take.

By my calculation that is the first point we have taken from Brentford away since 1947 (although for obvious reasons that statistic is not as impressive as it sounds!). Pretty sure if we had gone behind like that at any point in the past 2-3 years we would have lost.

Very worried that the defence apparently started playing nervously when Martinez went off.They need to sort this out.

A bit worried about Watkins’s lack of impact today.

Very hard to judge from MOTD highlights but Douglas Luiz looked to have claimed MOTM

Loved Emery’s goal celebration.

Edited by briny_ear

Â