• Watkins
    • Olsen (Martínez 45)
    • Chambers (Young 66)
    • Digne (Moreno 66)
    • Traoré (Dendoncker 66)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/04/23 at 18:00

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It was the essence of the problem, hence UE's change.

To compound the issue, we haven't got wingers to do what Brentfords wingers done to us.....thats anothers issue, I hope we get right in the Summer.

Yes, I think adding another winger and having Bailey fit gives us options. Moreno from LB and a Winger from RM and central striker with Watkins and a "drop off link up" forward beside him. So LM going forward to form the box with the second striker dropping deep. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Good resume to me.

we went back to making their press our Achilles.

we have to move the ball , much quicker to counter it.

I got the impression that McGinn was playing out on the right and the loss of his influence in and around the centre-circle was a key factor in Villa's lack of midfield domination.

No doubt Emery saw some threat down that flank he wanted to nullify.

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I read that. Something salty like they limited a team who everyone else says is good to only one half chance. We clearly irritated him. Good.

I'd say Luis' goal was a full chance, not a half chance, he was close range and it would have been a big miss if he'd missed the target. Before that Emi in the 2nd minute, pretty good chance. Ramsey in the 2nd half, good chance. McGinn had a half chance too with a shot from just outside the box... I make that at least two chances plus at least two half chances.

Why are some managers so inaccurate about the opposition's attempts at goal in their post-match interviews? It seems like it might be lies in some cases. Annoying. It's silly because lots of people are watching the game in the stadium or on TV or following a livetext closely, so they all know how many chances and half chances the teams actually had in reality.

Edited by robby b

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

After Brentford scored and Emery made the triple substitution we had a total of 1.68 xG from 72nd min onwards. All through the exact attacking structures we seen from us now. In terms of positives if you're Emery you've got to love that response. 

And we were trying to make that change from before they scored but the blessed ball didn’t go dead until they scored 😂. Grrr small annoyances 

1 hour ago, robby b said:

I'd say Luis' goal was a full chance, not a half chance, he was close range, it would have been a big miss if he'd missed it. Before that Emi in the 2nd minute, pretty good chance. Ramsey in the 2nd half, good chance. McGimn had a half chance too with a shot from quite far out. I make that at least two chances plus at least two half chances.

Why are some managers so inaccurate about the opposition's attempts at goal in their post-match interviews? It seems like lies in some cases. Annoying.

It's a poor attribute to have an a lack of ability to take criticism. you'd expect them to watch it again today and realise actually that wasn't the case

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Tom, I am not hanging players out, but both right backs have an attacking DNA......at times you need players in the team with defensive Nous, to make the tactics work better.

No worries, I didn't take it as hanging Cash out...I was just making the point that Cash's defensive skill is good enough. He's handled Messi, Ronaldo, and Mbappé in the last year without embarrassing himself, and I've seen him make enough good tackles to know that he's up to the job. It's his concentration that can undo him, which I agree with you about.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 17:02, DJBOB said:

Interesting as I thought this would be the game that Newcastle would play. Tight mid block, compress the space and use the strength to roll our smaller players receiving the ball in tight spaces. Let Mings and Konsa have the ball in the final third.  

This is where we miss a vertical threat (Bailey/Duran) to get in behind with a diagonal run like Brentford were doing us. A game where it harmed us that mcginn/JJ/Buendia are too similar. 

Moreno pinned back by Mbuembo and found no joy. Really only got a point because Brentford were gassed at the end.  

It is what it is. Stay humble, improve and 3 points home at Fulham. 

First paragraph was really over the top sounds like them managers that try to make football sound complicated 😂

The teams around us....Brentford 4/6  Brighton 3/6 game at home to play....Spurs 3/6 game at home to play.

we have beaten them all away from home.

not bad.

12 minutes ago, chappy said:

Only seen the MOTD highlights but good to come back and get a point after not playing so well. Hope Emi is back tomorrow. How was the play @Paddywhack?

It was good thanks. I checked the score at the interval just as we got the equaliser.

I didn’t see one other Villa fan all weekend though.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 17:00, OhioVilla said:

Feel its too hard to blame Olsen for this one. Point on the road at a tough venue, I'll take it. Need better

I think it's the fact that he inexplicably failed to hold into a ball pushing it into the path of an opposition player in a position that 999 times out of 1,000 would have seen us 2 nil down.

21 hours ago, TRO said:

I was too....and the game I saw, didn't surprise me in the least......we did really, really well to come back and get something, that showed Character.

Balls over the top of us have been a weakness for some time, Man U did it in the carabao cup, where Rashford ran riot.

Balls diagonally over the full backs is also a tactic opponents use too....and cause us consternation.

Their goal was executed well....but sadly predictable....we have to defend the back post better than that.

Ashley has been phenomenal for his age, but I fear we are pushing our luck.

I agree. It was encouraging to see how well Chambers did at right back though so there is always that option if Young starts to struggle. Doesn’t seem like Cash will return anytime soon.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it's the fact that he inexplicably failed to hold into a ball pushing it into the path of an opposition player in a position that 999 times out of 1,000 would have seen us 2 nil down.

I’m being harsh now but Emi saves that shot. It’s straight at the keeper and for it to go between his legs at that height is weird. 

Still it was Youngs error. 

It’s hard for any team to have a quality number 2 but we do need better than Olsen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m being harsh now but Emi saves that shot. It’s straight at the keeper and for it to go between his legs at that height is weird. 

Still it was Youngs error. 

It’s hard for any team to have a quality number 2 but we do need better than Olsen.

I'd me much happier with Steer in all honesty. 

Edited by sidcow

Just watched it back. Even first half with some nice build up play. Just lacked the final pass.

Second half Brentford pressed us and we got stuck in our own half. Olsen played it long every time in that first 20 mins and it came straight back, so we never had control. If we are going to play this way we need a backup keeper who can play out from the back. After their goal/our substitions we dominated and probably would have won had the game gone on longer, but given the pressure we were under after halftime a draw seems like a good result.

The biggest disappointment was the number of times Buendia got into a position to play Watkins in, only for the attack to break down. Watkins' seemed to be struggling with his runs, possibly due to Brentford doing their homework on him and forcing him to run where he did not want to.

Brentford were like a Tesco Value version of Klopp's Liverpool. They spent the whole game playing diagonal balls to the two wide forwards. If it worked, they were one on one with the full back or in behind the defence. If it didn't, the three cloggers in midfield would hold us up until they got back into their shape.

Edited by I Make Pies

Â