Weekends Football 17/19 March

andykeenan

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

What happened to that sensible idea where they wouldn’t give a penalty AND red card (unless it was for violent conduct)? 

The trouble is that encourages a deliberate hand ball to save a goal. You might as well give away a penalty if you know your handball will save a certain goal (like Suarez against Ghana in the WC). At least if you get a red card as well you might think twice. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not entirely sure why, but I hate Brighton.

I think it's just this weird period of success they're having, I'm sick of them winning and sick of hearing how wonderful they are at recruitment and planning and blah, blah, blah - go on, piss off back to league 1 you smart arsed b**tards.

I feel the opposite, i find they give us all hope that you don’t need to be state owned or have mega billionaire owners supported by a large already established fan base and can rise from near extinction. 

I mean… it is quite remarkable and I think they are here for the long term. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Bit like Southampton a few years back. These south coast traditional football wasteland clubs all have their day in the sun before pissing back to where they belong. Eg Pompey years ago, Bournemouth, Brentford will as well.

The difference is Brighton also happens to be one hour away from London, and is seen as a fashionable place to live and be. 

I think it’s more now a case of Brighton establishing where they belong more than falling back down the league. 

I don’t think it will be long until they get some interest and investment from someone one with deep pockets either. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A fifth for Brighton; their fans have clapped. "Break out the good Sauvignon Emma, let's celebrate while we watch Strictly".

They are football's Michael McIntyre.

Haha my mates are hardcore Brighton fans. I can assure you they will be downing pints at Dicks Bar, nothing classy about that lot 😂

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I feel the opposite, i find they give us all hope that you don’t need to be state owned or have mega billionaire owners supported by a large already established fan base and can rise from near extinction. 

I mean… it is quite remarkable and I think they are here for the long term. 

Completely agree. I love to see these types of teams do well and the old order being overthrown, however briefly. The difficulty they'll find though is the same difficulty Southampton and Leicester have found. Players,  managers and coaches wish to test themselves at higher profile clubs, and it's remarkably hard to keep finding gems in each of these positions over and over again, without the luxury of shrugging off mistakes with further money.

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

ManUre are such an odious club!

Fernandes, Antony, Shaw, Maguire, Martinez, Weghorst, and even the boy Garnacho are all unlikable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Sevilla lose again, serious chance they're getting relegated this season. Valencia in the relegation zone aswell.

Only Elche cut adrift, otherwise the relegation battle is every bit as intense as the one in the PL, with a couple of massive clubs in danger of dropping down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A fifth for Brighton; their fans have clapped. "Break out the good Sauvignon Emma, let's celebrate while we watch Strictly".

They are football's Michael McIntyre.

A lot of Brighton isn't like this at all. The posh luvvies mostly live the other end of the city from the stadium, and I doubt many of them are football fans.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Robbie Savage is pleased that United are through because apparently most people would love to see a City / United final.

If that’s the case let’s **** off the FA Cup going forward and just put the Sky 6 in a mini knockout tournament.

In fairness I'd be delighted with an all Manc final, provided there was a nuke under the centre circle.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Bit like Southampton a few years back. These south coast traditional football wasteland clubs all have their day in the sun before pissing back to where they belong. Eg Pompey years ago, Bournemouth, Brentford will as well.

In fairness these clubs have probably done more than us in the last decade or so

• Like 1

Arm position or deliberateness don't enter into it when a hand/arm stops a goal.  A goal cannot legitimately be scored or prevented with a hand/arm under any circumstances (unless you're Maradona).  That was laid out explicitly in the clarification of hand ball a few years ago that introduced the natural position and making the body larger language.

It makes sense, really.  Would any Villa fan be happy if Fernandes scored a goal against Villa where it went in directly off his hand even if his hand was at his side and he made no effort to push it in?   I think we'd all be furious if it stood.  Similarly, if Ben Mee's arm were to stop the ball going in even if it was in a natural position and he was facing away from play and knew nothing about it, I don't think any of us would accept it if VAR waved off the penalty.  The one tiny gray area I see is where a defender's arms are tight against his side and the ball comes at such and angle that his body would have stopped it if his it hadn't hit is arm first (which I refer to as the amputee condition, i.e., if the player were an amputee would the ball have ended up in pretty much the same place/condition?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Arm position or deliberateness don't enter into it when a hand/arm stops a goal.  A goal cannot legitimately be scored or prevented with a hand/arm under any circumstances (unless you're Maradona).  That was laid out explicitly in the clarification of hand ball a few years ago that introduced the natural position and making the body larger language.

It makes sense, really.  Would any Villa fan be happy if Fernandes scored a goal against Villa where it went in directly off his hand even if his hand was at his side and he made no effort to push it in?   I think we'd all be furious if it stood.  Similarly, if Ben Mee's arm were to stop the ball going in even if it was in a natural position and he was facing away from play and knew nothing about it, I don't think any of us would accept it if VAR waved off the penalty.  The one tiny gray area I see is where a defender's arms are tight against his side and the ball comes at such and angle that his body would have stopped it if his it hadn't hit is arm first (which I refer to as the amputee condition, i.e., if the player were an amputee would the ball have ended up in pretty much the same place/condition?).

Agreed, but what isn’t clear to me is whether he deserved the red. In slow mo it looked like a deliberate block with his arm, but in real time it looked like him trying to get his arm into a “natural” position specifically to avoid the handball. If I was the ref I’d be giving the pen but giving him the benefit of the doubt.

But I might be gullible / hate Man Utd too much. Ultimately we all wanted to see Man U lose at Old Trafford didn’t we?

Brighton trivia: during WWII, one of the tests for unmasking suspected German spies was 'British culture word association' - you'd throw at them questions like "Fish and...?", "Flanagan and...?", "Belt and...?", etc. Apparently even the trainees sometimes had to think hard about "Brighton and...?" 

15 hours ago, theboyangel said:

No matter how bad Utd are playing they always seem to get a way back in 😡

Which was exactly the point I was trying to make yesterday, but as usual someone has to turn it into a counter argument which isn’t there. 

• Like 1

Â