Pre match thread

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Very disappointing couple of weeks, culminating in three defeats and eleven goals conceded. However, the positives are we’re still scoring goals, Duran is looking decent with his cameo appearances and we’ve got pretty much a full strength squad going into March. 

I personally don’t think we should try and match Everton physically with our line up but we should earn the right to play our game and hopefully the better football wins.

Martinez

Cash        Konsa             Mings         Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                         Buendia

Coutinho        

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Young, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Traore, Bailey, Duran 

We know the danger coming from set pieces, but we’ve encountered this previously with Burnley and done well, beating them 1-3 away in May 22.  That day, Burnley had Collins, Tarkowski, Cork, Weghorst, Barnes, Cornet all playing.  However, if Emery sees the benefit in starting Chambers, Dendoncker and/or Duran for added physicality and height, I wouldn’t have an issue with it. 

1-2 win here and onwards. UTV

Respectfully, a bit of a paradox for me, because to earn the right to play football, you initially have to win the physical battle and subsequently steal the initiative......if we don't do that, the football , soon disipates, and the initiative shifts.

Thats why we keep losing like we do, and conceding at the end of games.....we play some great passing moves at times, but the football over 90 odd minutes is not convincing on the whole.....hence inconsistency.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

Respectfully, a bit of a paradox for me, because to earn the right to play football, you initially have to win the physical battle and subsequently steal the initiative......if we don't do that, the football , soon disipates, and the initiative shifts.

Thats why we keep losing like we do, and conceding at the end of games.....we play some great passing moves at times, but the football over 90 odd minutes is not convincing on the whole.....hence inconsistency.

I think you’ve misunderstood me. Fight and earn the right play, absolutely but I personally don’t want to see Dendoncker, Chambers, Duran starting, just to match up in height and physicality.  You can still tackle and fight without the need to be six feet plus. I think we should play our best players to win the game and not try and match up because we’re worrying about the opposition. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, smg said:

Is that the mental weakness of the fans on here ?

No, based purely what we've seen Villa serve up since the O'Neill days when we had a bit about us....since then we've been pushovers.

Let's hope Emery can get them positive but many of them look fragile to me.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

..........or a reflective view of the team.

Absolutely spot on.

25 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Cant wait for Lineker to point it out on MOTD

If we don't win I won't be watching - haven't seen a lot of Jugg ears this season.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I think you’ve misunderstood me. Fight and earn the right play, absolutely but I personally don’t want to see Dendoncker, Chambers, Duran starting, just to match up in height and physicality.  You can still tackle and fight without the need to be six feet plus. I think we should play our best players to win the game and not try and match up because we’re worrying about the opposition. 

Yep I agree Onana was great against Arsenal but rubbish against liverpool. Players just need to win their personal battles. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Can't shake the feeling that Connor 'just here for the banter' Coady will score in this one.

That would be almost as bad as his phlegmy after-match interview.

55 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'd stick with the same eleven that started the game against Arsenal.

Match them for work rate and then let the football do the talking.

I think we will win.

Either 1-3 or 2-3. Depending on our defending from set-pieces.

Still away from home though, I'd expect us to be very cautious and play on the counter. If we win it'll be by the odd goal, nice solid performance and a point would do me.

21 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I agree, but equally you can be 6ft plus and still able to play good football, was my point.

I also agree, don't play sub standard, just to gain height......my idea always has been a fair few players with height, who can actually play good football.