Pre match thread

Demitri_C

On 18/02/2023 at 17:29, VillaChris said:

Everton are very limited but Tarkowski was getting on the end of pretty much all their set pieces so that's the big warning which we need to actually train for at Bodymoor this week (given how lax we are defending corners currently). Beyond that Everton-Leeds was a very poor quality game which was won by terrible positioning from Meslier. 

As bad as we've been defensively recently we'd have to put in our worst performance for years if we ship 3-4 goals to this lot.

one is a setback.

On 20/02/2023 at 14:29, HKP90 said:

I think we'll have these. There's only so much improvement Dyche can get into his team by shouting 'Hoof it long and chin the runners' repeatedly. 

1-3 Villa. Their goal coming from a last minute corner. 

Do you think Arsenal, would fall for that?....I think there is a bit more to it than that.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2023 at 06:07, Keyblade said:

That game at Turf Moor you mention, was probably the best football I've ever seen Villa play. Grealish was in inspired form. It's quite amazing how we lost that. They turned into prime Barcelona for a 15 minute spell near the end somehow.

funny, I seem to have witnessed that before.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

one is a setback.

Not really, we've scored in every single league game under Emery I think so no matter how poor the performance we usually have a spell where we create and put a move together to score.

Everton will try to box us in and narrow the pitch but if they're not starting Gray still I don't see how they're going to hurt us much on counters so we'll have majority of possession and up to us to be clinical and get an early goal and then this match becomes reasonably straightforward as most of them have been since we've come back up.

Mad that the sequence of being 1-0 up, then 2-1 up, to lose 4-2 has happened three times now on Emery’s watch. Theres been plenty of dogged showings too, its a real mish mash really with lots of home defeats. Hoping for some away day comforts, its much needed. Really hard game to call; their gobshite crowd will be well up for it; hopefully we can get ahead and look to control the game this time. Dyche has opted for plenty of energy in his midfield with Onana, Doucoure & Gana so itll be interesting to see how we do in the midfield battle. 

21 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I’ll be in amsterdam this weekend. I know it’s not on tv here but does anybody know if non sky 3 o’clock kick offs get any screen time over there?

Yes, they will all be on in various bars. You'll have no issues. 

On 21/02/2023 at 12:39, Nigel said:

These are going to be a nightmare from corners, especially as we are so good at defending them!

I still can't figure out if I dread us conceding corners or getting corners more.

We can't defend opposition corners and we almost always get broke on from our own corners.

14 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Excited for this one funnily enough. I think Emery will outsmart Dyche here and we'll come away with at least a point

If he doesn't, a few might be able to explain that.

Very disappointing couple of weeks, culminating in three defeats and eleven goals conceded. However, the positives are we’re still scoring goals, Duran is looking decent with his cameo appearances and we’ve got pretty much a full strength squad going into March. 

I personally don’t think we should try and match Everton physically with our line up but we should earn the right to play our game and hopefully the better football wins.

Martinez

Cash        Konsa             Mings         Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                         Buendia

Coutinho        

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Young, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Traore, Bailey, Duran 

We know the danger coming from set pieces, but we’ve encountered this previously with Burnley and done well, beating them 1-3 away in May 22.  That day, Burnley had Collins, Tarkowski, Cork, Weghorst, Barnes, Cornet all playing.  However, if Emery sees the benefit in starting Chambers, Dendoncker and/or Duran for added physicality and height, I wouldn’t have an issue with it. 

1-2 win here and onwards. UTV