Pre match thread

Demitri_C

I think we'll have these. There's only so much improvement Dyche can get into his team by shouting 'Hoof it long and chin the runners' repeatedly. 

1-3 Villa. Their goal coming from a last minute corner. 

We can get result, they've won a couple of games since Dyche came in, the Arsenal win was impressive, but the other one was against a Leeds team who have been in worse form than them in fact Leeds are currently in their worse run of league form since the 1940s.

I actually think it's good for us that they've got a few wins, because if they hadn't have done so there would have been a feeling that it's only a matter of time before Dyche gets his first victory, but now with them already having had a few wins, there's more a feeling of that they're not going to keep winning, and from our point of view we're not going to keep losing.

A draw wouldn't surprise me, and I don't think that would be the worst result, as would at least end the run of defeats and prevent Everton closing the gap on us, but we're also capable of getting a win, since Emery came in, away from home we've take nine points from a possible twelve, Man City the only team to beat us on our travels.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

They've just turned a corner and are smashing it 1-0 . We simply need to score twice - and we can. 

They haven’t scored more than once in a league match since October. Lately they have scored one in every other match, following that pattern it should be enough for us to score once to win.

Everton going forward is not that impressive and their defence isn’t that great either.

Im hoping for a Watkins hat trick, and a 5-0 win.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, andym said:

There was the game at Turf Moor where we twice threw away a lead, but the other game that stands out was a 0-0 at home a few seasons back; we had nearly 30 shots, hit the woodwork a few times and still couldn't score. One of the worst displays of finishing i've seen.

That game at Turf Moor you mention, was probably the best football I've ever seen Villa play. Grealish was in inspired form. It's quite amazing how we lost that. They turned into prime Barcelona for a 15 minute spell near the end somehow.

I think this will be an interesting game. Dyche will set up to defend and attack off set pieces. We’ve looked particularly weak defending set pieces over the last few weeks. 

I think the line up will show how we want to play. I don’t know if two No 10s will work against a Dyche low block that will sit deep and limit space. Where we may get joy is down the sides with overlapping full backs so Cash and Digne might be the right picks even though I prefer Moreno. 

Emi, Mings, Konsa, Bouba, Luiz, McGinn and Watkins are all guaranteed starters. Bunendia is probably going to start too so the only decision is Couthino or Bailey. 

Looking forward to another all action Big Jhon appearance too! 

• Like 1

On paper this is a game we should win but we all know nothing is easy with Villa. This is the kinda game that has been Villa's Achilles heel since promotion, away to a physical side which just bullies us off the park. Sheff Utd away x2, Palace away x2 and Burnley away when we threw away the lead twice (against Dyche).

Under Lampard this was going to be under a win but I see Everton being dangerous from set pieces here. Can see a draw here at best.

I think Mings and Martinez should be able to nullify their biggest threats. Really really really need to win this and go on a bit of a run now I think. Don't want the wheels to come off the good mood at the moment.