Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Only if he’s got the attributes to be of benefit.  I don’t want it to be a job for the boys type thing just because he an old ex player and has experience.

We'd have just kept Ashley Young, if we were going this route.

• Like 2

Only if he’s got the attributes to be of benefit.  I don’t want it to be a job for the boys type thing just because he an old ex player and has experience.

I agree, I just think if it's someone to essentially employ as a player but only use when needed in PL2 and effectively have as a mentor / extra coach around the place, who has experience of coming through the academy and into the team and also of moving on to a different side, that must have value otherwise a bunch of other top clubs wouldn't be doing it. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

We don't need old timers taking up a space that a youngster could use for development time, was bad enough last season Guilbert playing for the U21s, would rather just give the game time to an actual academy player. I wouldn't be surprised if the FA put a stop to the practice.

Jay Spearing is 10 months older than Clark so would have been younger when brought in as an Under 21 player. He's employed also as a coach for the under 18s.

Last season he managed a staggering 32 minutes of football for the youth teams after coming off the bench in 2 games. So means to say, he didn't block anyone's path to minutes in youth games. 

If a player is losing their head or the team is taking a pelting, sending on a 34 year old experienced pro to coach them live in a match is better than throwing on another 17 year old in front of the freight train to damage their confidence. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Bradley Barcola looks v.special talent … Linked with Leipzig, Citeh & PSG so should satisfy some on here 😉… 10 assists & 5 goals in his debut season … 

IMG_8206.jpeg

More of a Barpepsi fan myself.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I agree, I just think if it's someone to essentially employ as a player but only use when needed in PL2 and effectively have as a mentor / extra coach around the place, who has experience of coming through the academy and into the team and also of moving on to a different side, that must have value otherwise a bunch of other top clubs wouldn't be doing it. 

Yeah but still has to be the right person with the right attributes for the role.  It can’t just be somebody who is available and been through the system.  Jay Spearing wasn’t the greatest or good player that came through their system but he did come through their system and they must think he also has the right attributes to coach/mentor.  It’s just like people thought Gerrard and Lampard would be good managers because they were great players, captained elite teams and won trophies and have all that experience to translate to management but they’ve been awful because it seems they don’t have the attributes to be top managers.  Experience is always ideal but you need the other attributes as well to be right for the job

Trevoh Chalobah valued at 45 million for transfer apparently.

He's played 60 professional games.

How?

Combined with liverpool, city etc selling youth team players for between 10 and 30 million. How can they do it? Yet we can't seem to sell anyone for more than peanuts (bar obv jack and chukwuemeka)

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How?

Combined with liverpool, city etc selling youth team players for between 10 and 30 million. How can they do it? Yet we can't seem to sell anyone for more than peanuts (bar obv jack and chukwuemeka)

Blimey, that’s a lot for Chalobah, I would like us to sign him to be honest as I think he’s got a lot of talent, but £45m!? That’s mad.

edit: just had a look and he’s 24, I thought he was younger tbh, so he really hasn’t played much football at all for his age. 

Edited by alreadyexists

23 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How?

In the space of 18 months Hojlund has been transferred for £1.5M in January 2022, £15M in August 2022 and has now been bought by United for what, £70M one year later.

Nothing seems to make much sense to me any more 

• Like 4

Bertrand Traore for example - scored a lot of goals in ligue 1, came from chelsea's academy, involved in some big moments for us, scoring against chelsea and united, experienced international. 15 million should be the absolute bare minimum. I doubt we'll get above 5.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

In the space of 18 months Hojlund has been transferred for £1.5M in January 2022, £15M in August 2022 and has now been bought by United for what, £70M one year later.

Nothing seems to make much sense to me any more 

Utd and Chelsea's big money forward purchases(i.e wingers and strikers) of the last 7/8 years have been nothing short of a train wreck. 

Literally the only one that has come good has been an academy graduate. 

They have blown billions of pounds on such little output. 

Lets see how this one plays out. They have a woeful track record but this could be the season with Hojlund and Nkunku. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Bertrand Traore for example - scored a lot of goals in ligue 1, came from chelsea's academy, involved in some big moments for us, scoring against chelsea and united, experienced international. 15 million should be the absolute bare minimum. I doubt we'll get above 5.

Success brings higher transfer fees. If we have a season like last year or bettter squad players go up in value thats how Chelsea get away with it as they been so successful for so long

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How?

Because in those 60 games he has shown he can hold his own in this league and has age on his side. 

The senior players we are trying to sell are just not very good and the kids haven’t proven they can do it in this league. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because in those 60 games he has shown he can hold his own in this league and has age on his side. 

The senior players we are trying to sell are just not very good and the kids haven’t proven they can do it in this league. 

Has he though? He played 25 times for a team that finished midtable last year. He's 24 and was good imo, not spectacular, no clamour for him to get called up to england, no england caps. They'll get 45 mill for him, just dont understand how

4 hours ago, useless said:

No chance we sell Bogarde, if Southampton want him it will be a loan deal.

Works for them and us. Assume they want to bounce back up and then look to sign players when back in PL

Potentially looking to sell:

Olsen - international goalkeeper (8m)

Digne - french international, good standard PL player, formerly at barca. (15-20m)

Hause - championship standard at best(1m)

Dendoncker - belgian international with PL experience (15m)

Coutinho - brazil int'l, formerly went for one of the biggest transfers ever (15-20m)

Traore - as explained above (15m)

Davis - championship at best, but proven there. (5-8m)

In brackets are values I would place on each, totalling 87m.

I doubt we would get more than 25m for all of them.

It doesn't work for us Bogarde one of the best players in our academy, in the top four or five with a chance of making it with our first team, an absolute rolls royce of a young player, I've no doubt will do very well next season in Championship on loan.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Success brings higher transfer fees. If we have a season like last year or bettter squad players go up in value thats how Chelsea get away with it as they been so successful for so long

We had our best season in years last year, whilst chelsea had their worst. They have brought in millions in overinflated fees this summer.

Gallagher might be going for 40-50m!!