Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well, he said “years gone by” rather than focussing on a single season but we also signed the likes of Bednarek & Augustinsson… jury is still out on Olsen…

For years, we’ve made poor signings that we have had to (try to) offload soon after (often unsuccessfully or on loan). Expensive mistakes and financial burdens…

I’m pleased with how we have tried to rectify mistakes of the past, streamlined the squad to only contain players of genuine worth and ability that can contribute and give us some consistency…

So we did! Had forgotten those two already.  The squad streamlining and focus is certainly  very welcome

Very good window. Only concern would be how we cope with Watkins picking up a longer term injury, but the management seem happy to run that risk for now. Our depth and quality in defence and midfield is fantastic, and the few new faces up top are two of the most promising players we’ve signed in my lifetime. 

8.5/10.

I think the outgoings are the success story. Emery wants to have a small squad where everyone is a part. So 22 players and some young options. 

We got unlucky with Mings and Buendia but we seem to have adapted to it because they happened in August. Lenglet joined on loan and we kept Bertie. Both those contracts end in June so are temporary.

We added two top class players in Diabyabd Pau. Tielemans too on a free is superb business. Zaniolo has risks but is one of those typical under Emery rejuvenation players. 

Moving on Archer Ramsey JPB all with buy backs is sensible way to get them time to improve and keeping the option to take them back.

Naka, Davis, Sanson left. Traore is also gone end of the season. Hause only one left and it's because he's injured. Hopefully a January loan for him. 

Kellyman and Iroegbunam should get time in ECL and loans in January.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Very good window. Only concern would be how we cope with Watkins picking up a longer term injury, but the management seem happy to run that risk for now. Our depth and quality in defence and midfield is fantastic, and the few new faces up top are two of the most promising players we’ve signed in my lifetime. 

8.5/10.

I think the options to cover for Ollie, possibly in order, are Zaniolo, Duran & Diaby.

I have high hopes for Nico…

We also have Berty and Bailey.

good window again.  slightly concerned about Olsen in goal and Archer departing but not drastic issues.  The only real downside for me is how ridiculous teams like Chelsea have become and how much of a slap in the face it is for everyone else.  I pray for them to end up going bankrupt and getting the juventus/rangers treatment.

Edited by tezzaleed

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

We got unlucky with Mings and Buendia but we seem to have adapted to it because they happened in August. Lenglet joined on loan and we kept Bertie. Both those contracts end in June so are temporary.

I think we’ve handled this situation really well, don’t know how much better we could have done so really.

Without panicking or being stupid either…

I guess Unai’s calm, intelligent and measured approach has also heavily influenced our transfer activity and strategy…

Lovely stuff.

• Like 1

The thing I like most about this window, is how creative we were in balancing the books. 

Rather than selling a key player or two, we sold youngsters that are not likely to get game time. Yet this isn’t a major loss as we got the buy back clauses as a backstop in case they do become Villa level. 

It really changes how our academy could be set up… it’s not just an academy to develop Villa players, but an academy to develop top prospects for everyone. In turn making it a potential key earner for the club. A step forward to being contemporary powerhouse in world football  

• Like 2

We've strengthened with real quality, got rid of some deadwood, brought academy money in to aid FFP - and in a way where can buy back if want to - and we've probably kept quite a bit back for the next stage. 

The development of Kellyman should not be forgotten either. I think he's going to feel like a new signing too. 

Edited by Villarocker

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think the outgoings are the success story. Emery wants to have a small squad where everyone is a part. So 22 players and some young options. 

We added two top class players in Diabyabd Pau. Tielemans too on a free is superb business. Zaniolo has risks but is one of those typical under Emery rejuvenation players. 

Moving on Archer Ramsey JPB all with buy backs is sensible way to get them time to improve and keeping the option to take them back.

Naka, Davis, Sanson left. Traore is also gone end of the season. Hause only one left and it's because he's injured. Hopefully a January loan for him. 

Kellyman and Iroegbunam should get time in ECL and loans in January.

I know I’ll be hung for heresy but when we reflect at the end of the season it may be viewed that the injuries to Mings and Buendia helped us in some way. 

Mings was never ever going to get dropped so one of him and Pau was always going to play out of position and not sure if we’d be seeing Pau creating goal after goal in that original shape we played pre season and v Newcastle. No slight on Mings intended. 

Also not sure if we would have bought Zaniolo had Buendia not got injured and quite frankly he looks to have a much higher ceiling than Buendia. 

• Like 1

Excellent window and it seems most neutrals view it that way too.

Brought in quality and excitement across the pitch whilst finally jettisoning some of those who really had no chance here any longer (aside from Hause, though he seems a mystery in itself).

I don’t think we could have asked for much more, I appreciate the concerns with losing Watkins but to be fair, Duran’s on two goals already and looked a lot more mature in his performance against Hibs than I was perhaps expecting to see (save for his couple of rugby tackles on the defenders).

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I know I’ll be hung for heresy but when we reflect at the end of the season it may be viewed that the injuries to Mings and Buendia helped us in some way. 

Mings was never ever going to get dropped so one of him and Pau was always going to play out of position and not sure if we’d be seeing Pau creating goal after goal in that original shape we played pre season and v Newcastle. No slight on Mings intended. 

Also not sure if we would have bought Zaniolo had Buendia not got injured and quite frankly he looks to have a much higher ceiling than Buendia. 

I did have a thought about this as well. Short term pain for long term gain.

They'll also be like 2 new players when they come back, and it will be less awkward to use them in rotation and when needed against different types of opposition.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1