Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

A very good window in terms of both incomings and players moved on.

Unai looks happy with what we have managed to do, and I think we are perhaps keeping our powder dry until January to see if we are able to improve in the areas we never managed to strengthen during the summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Have I… have I just seen someone pick Leon Bailey over Jacob Ramsey in a first XI, even though it means McGinn playing on the left…? Thank heavens this isn’t Unai Emery ;)

‘Second XI’ I think Dendoncker in midfield, Lenglet in defence, and I don’t think Iroegbunum is challenging for minutes just yet (but we will see).

I am 100% on board with your depth point though!

Yes, it’s just a depth post don’t worry 😂 Don’t think I would ever start Bailey if everyone is fit and firing.

They’re previous images I’ve reuploaded/shared (from before we signed Lenglet). And took into account the injuries we have.

Just thought it was a nice, clear way to review who we have.

Yeah, I don’t think Tim will be quite as involved as that image might suggest 😆

My next post was the line up I think we will eventually go with.

👍

-

Watkins     Zaniolo

McGinn/JJ   Luiz        Kamara        Diaby

Moreno       Pau/Lenglet    Carlos   Konsa 

Martinez

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

What’s interesting is the eventual price of some players moving to other clubs who we were linked with vs the price the media suggested the selling club was looking for. These varied hugely which suggests that it’s mostly BS from the press. Fresneda, the other young Spanish fullback who’s name escapes me and Abde are three who eventually moved for considerably less than the press were valuing the deals at.

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t think Zaniolo is cover - I think he’s a loan while we check his injuries are all ok but if they are he’ll be a signing for sure

Going to be our star player imo… along with Diaby. Major boosts to our attack.

• Like 1

You can only be delighted by our window: both the quality we added and the price we paid.

Outgoing seem logical and good value too. Very accomplished and efficient business, and you just know Monchi and the team will be in overdrive lining up further remodelling for the future.

• Like 1

Would love to know where we shit in our FFP position because to me it seems we are in a very good position 

Alot of players gone for pure profit.

I think hudson odoi at 8m would have been brilliant business at that price shame we didnt go for him.

Overall a good window but i still think we are light up top. I think duran is going to get a lot of minutes this year it seems to me. I think traore can play up top so thats also a option

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Would love to know where we shit in our FFP position because to me it seems we are in a very good position 

Alot of players gone for pure profit.

I think hudson odoi at 8m would have been brilliant business at that price shame we didnt go for him.

Overall a good window but i still think we are light up top. I think duran is going to get a lot of minutes this year it seems to me. I think traore can play up top so thats also a option

Here

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Bunch of fancy foreign names the lot of em'. Whatever happened to signing Championship level cloggers with alcohol problems like we used to to?

We no longer sign players who can’t get over gates!!

I'm pretty old, I've seen our winning days in the early 80s with a small squad. 

The squad we have today is immense. I can't believe the quality and depth we have in the team. Even with Mings and Emi out we can easily challenge for Champions League places AND win Conference League. So looking forward to the season really kicking off now.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Think this is slightly  unfair - agree it's been a very measured window, but last summer we brought in Carlos,  Kamara and Coutinho early. Coutinho (in spite of his ability) was the wrong choice, but even if the manager was a cabbage/turnip/friarielli/insert Jessica of choice,  it was part of the club's plan. The only one that was a bit of a wtf panic buy was Dendoncker because of injury and he's  become a handy back up. 

1 minute ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Think this is slightly  unfair - agree it's been a very measured window, but last summer we brought in Carlos,  Kamara and Coutinho early. Coutinho (in spite of his ability) was the wrong choice, but even if the manager was a cabbage/turnip/friarielli/insert Jessica of choice,  it was part of the club's plan. The only one that was a bit of a wtf panic buy was Dendoncker because of injury and he's  become a handy back up. 

Well, he said “years gone by” rather than focussing on a single season but we also signed the likes of Bednarek & Augustinsson… jury is still out on Olsen…

For years, we’ve made poor signings that we have had to (try to) offload soon after (often unsuccessfully or on loan). Expensive mistakes and financial burdens…

I’m pleased with how we have tried to rectify mistakes of the past, streamlined the squad to only contain players of genuine worth and ability that can contribute and give us some consistency…

Selling Archer and Ramsay was the biggest surprise of the window but I guess that’s how to work the FFP system like our competitors are doing. They’re not good enough for us now hence they went to teams lower down the table but we’ve got buy back clauses in case they do make it to the elite level we’re now after.

miguel Delaney said if clubs are selling their academy talents to comply with FFP there’s something badly wrong with the rules.

Class window otherwise though👍