Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think you are missing two important circumstances.

Firstly, he was not just "ok" - he was Benfica's Grealish. Generational talent, and incredible for his age. He cost over €100m which speaks volumes.

The second thing is he moved to the most defensive team of the top European clubs, and as a young attacking player that is always going to be difficult. He then moved to the shit show that is Chelsea, and I bet you Mbappe would look like Adama Traore in that set up.

I don't know. I hear you, but I don't agree. People are smitten by him. I do think what you're saying about a defensive approach being a poor context for his talent -- could be something there. I stand by "OK" by Premier League standards. His Chelsea record does mean something, doesn't it?  "He cost over €100m which speaks volumes" to me speaks precisely that he cost over €100m. Surely we don't make transfer decisions based on what another club paid for a player? Players are overvalued and undervalued every day. I don't think he's worth more than about €32m --- Transfermarket says €50m. I feel like Diaby would be a much better €50m spent by Villa, but for a lower price tag, I could feel like Felix might work?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
millions missing

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don't know. I hear you, but I don't agree. People are smitten by him. I do think what you're saying about a defensive approach being a poor context for his talent -- could be something there. I stand by "OK" by Premier League standards. His Chelsea record does mean something, doesn't it?  "He cost over €100m which speaks volumes" to me speaks precisely that he cost over €100m. Surely we don't make transfer decisions based on what another club paid for a player? Players are overvalued and undervalued every day. I don't think he's worth more than about €32 --- Transfermarket says €50. I feel like Diaby would be a much better €50 spent by Villa.

Absolutely 💯 we don't. Spot on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Absolutely 💯 we don't. Spot on.

I get it right about once every two years, so I'm going to screenshot this and make it my wallpaper. 😉 But even then, I forgot to put the little m's for millions in this case.

-------------------Martinez-------------------

Cash----Carlos------Torres------Moreno

----------------Luiz-------Kamara----------

---Diaby------------Felix----------Chiesa---

----------------------Watkins--------------------

Bench: Olsen (or new no.2), Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Tielemans, Bailey, Archer (or a new forward) 

That'd be some team/squad if we could make it happen this summer. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The thing is mate, I get the "big 6" bollocks and who it's referring to. But when people start with the word "traditional", it becomes somewhat subjective. At least in terms of time. 

Preston won the first double. Villa were the big club of the 1890's. Sunderland were up there too. 

Then we can talk about the 1980's where Villa were League and European champions but Everton always get the nod as the bigger club in that decade. Forest were huge in the late 70s and again they were a solid side in the early 90s. 

What exactly does traditional big 6 mean? I've got no idea. But I know that Man City and Chelsea wouldn't be in it for a start.

Sick of hearing the "Sky six cliche".

11 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Bench: Olsen (or new no.2), Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Tielemans, Bailey, Archer (or a new forward) 

Ramsey does not make it?

20 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That double pivot would be overworked, properly have their hands full.

Oh! You put Chiesa in the team? 👏

All for it then! 🤣

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Feels like Monchi has got to work this week! 🔥 

Maybe he’s had to wait for his work mobile to be delivered! No matter how often you call our procurement department at my work, I don’t think they’ve ever managed to get a phone for a new starter, on their first day, yet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Firstly, he was not just "ok" - he was Benfica's Grealish. Generational talent, and incredible for his age. He cost over €100m which speaks volumes.

True, but the history of the game is full of prodigies who peaked early and turned out not to be so special when they got older as others caught up and passed them. Or who had great talent but never maximized it because of bad attitude.

He's a risk. At the right price, unless his attitude is so bad that it would poison the dressing room, it would be a risk worth taking.