Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I know and understand exactly what Emery and Villa are asking of a right back. It's still not natural to Konsa, who I rate highly but isn't the pace merchant you're suggesting. It is not simply being an auxillery centre half on the right side either. Rather a right back who understands the duties of a centre half and has the tactical nous and mobility to cover, but still is essentially, a full back. That's not Konsa. Whenever I saw Konsa play right back he was dragged out of position too often, leaving acres of space outside that was often exploited.

Your description of Konsa sounds more like Kyle Walker to me, and that's exactly who I'd go for, or somebody similar.

I don't agree with you. The RB only plays RB when in defence and out of possession and is then a RCB in possession. Key is having no attacking requirements which is what we all associate with a general Full Back.

It's why Emery played a CB at RB at Villarreal in Foyth. So playing a CB at RB with Villa totally makes sense for Emery to do.

29 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Someone like Danny Ings you mean? 

Either a past-it player picking up their last pay day, or a £40m+ player to sit on the bench… neither of those prospects fill me with much confidence at all!

I get the arguments about not wanting to rely solely on Archer, but at some point he’s got to take the step up, he has to be given a chance and buying someone to play ahead of him but not even being first choice himself will just block his progress.

Yes Watkins could break him leg and miss the season, but that could happen to literally any player at any club, at any time, you have to take the risk somewhere down the line - and there are a lot of worse back up strikers in the Prem than a 21 year old who’s averaged a goal or assist every 91 minutes in the championship, and even better for the England U21s.

The chances of Archer or Duran being a top 6 PL level striker really aren’t that high. If we lose Mings we’ve still got Torres, Konsa, and Carlos, if we lose Douglas Luiz we’ve got Tielemans, Kamara etc. Don’t understand why we wouldn’t want that same depth up front.

38 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Someone like Danny Ings you mean? 

Either a past-it player picking up their last pay day, or a £40m+ player to sit on the bench… neither of those prospects fill me with much confidence at all!

I get the arguments about not wanting to rely solely on Archer, but at some point he’s got to take the step up, he has to be given a chance and buying someone to play ahead of him but not even being first choice himself will just block his progress.

Yes Watkins could break him leg and miss the season, but that could happen to literally any player at any club, at any time, you have to take the risk somewhere down the line - and there are a lot of worse back up strikers in the Prem than a 21 year old who’s averaged a goal or assist every 91 minutes in the championship, and even better for the England U21s.

Totally agree, it’s time to play him as second choice. See if he can do it with us.

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

The chances of Archer or Duran being a top 6 PL level striker really aren’t that high. If we lose Mings we’ve still got Torres, Konsa, and Carlos, if we lose Douglas Luiz we’ve got Tielemans, Kamara etc. Don’t understand why we wouldn’t want that same depth up front.

I actually think Archer has all the attributes to be a top top striker. Could take another year though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

Well strikers are thin on the ground at the minute so we are highly unlikely to get better than Watkins.

if you aren’t getting better what’s the point?

Lad has done it at Championship level and England youth. He is also unlikely to be better than Watkins but he costs nothing. If he does well we save loads of money, if he does ok we can reassess and if he just scores a handful of goals but has playing time with us we will get more money for him.

Thats the point.

fix literally everywhere else first 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm well 28 million euros is a reasonable opening offer from Lille, let’s see if Strasbourg can go higher.

😆 if only!

We’ll be lucky to get 2.8m off them! 😆

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well strikers are thin on the ground at the minute so we are highly unlikely to get better than Watkins.

Lad has done it at Championship level and England youth. He is also unlikely to be better than Watkins but he costs nothing. If he does well we save loads of money, if he does ok we can reassess and if he just scores a handful of goals but has playing time with us we will get more money for him.

Thats the point.

I’m sure he’ll get a chance to impress during preseason. Unai will make the right decision…

47 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Thats the point.

I think he'll turn out a way better striker than Watkins, over time. In fact, I've had a bet with a mate of mine that Archer will end up with more senior England caps than Ollie......but I still wouldn't object to us signing another proven forward to boost the squad.

Edited by Dillon66

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Would be a huge shame if Sanson leaves now whilst we're assembling the most attractive football team in history.

Keep him around just because he’s a hot piece of ass?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I don't agree with you. The RB only plays RB when in defence and out of possession and is then a RCB in possession. Key is having no attacking requirements which is what we all associate with a general Full Back.

It's why Emery played a CB at RB at Villarreal in Foyth. So playing a CB at RB with Villa totally makes sense for Emery to do.

I don't agree with you either but thats fine, just dont say I dont understand as thats a bit patronising.

Foyth is the only time he's done this (play a CB at RB) as far as I know, and Foyth is far more natural a right back than Konsa.

I'd also add we're a bit more fluid than who ever is RB defaulting to a RCB where in possession. Kamara dropped into a sweeper role when Young and Moreno went forward too.

Anyway, I don't want to labour the point. However we see the nuances, I think we need at least one natural right back.

• Like 3