Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

From @TrentVilla on Twitter, has never been one to crave attention, so no reason to not take this at face value for me.

I'd be happy with Brennan Johnson tbh, not at the fee they're likely to want for him...and probably not as our only forward/winger signing this summer. But he's young, talented and done alright in a difficult team in the Prem.

Wouldn't be top of my list but I'd happily see him in Claret & Blue if we make good on our interest

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

The thing with Brennan Johnson is, Brentford bid for him earlier in the window, right? You don’t bid for a player unless you know he might be available or wants a move.

Given the noise around him, it might be that there is a gentleman’s agreement that if he keeps them up he can move on? Not too dissimilar to Grealish.

Im not particularly enamoured by him, but it’s strange it just seems to keep rumbling on.

My opinion is there is better out there for half the price (I think). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The thing with Brennan Johnson is, Brentford bid for him earlier in the window, right? You don’t bid for a player unless you know he might be available or wants a move.

Given the noise around him, it might be that there is a gentleman’s agreement that if he keeps them up he can move on? Not too dissimilar to Grealish.

Im not particularly enamoured by him, but it’s strange it just seems to keep rumbling on.

My opinion is there is better out there for half the price (I think). 

Johnson is certainly the "type" of player we need, but maybe not "the" player we need.

If Emery wanted him tho, thats fine with me.

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We do need to know when the best time to sell players to get maximum value. I think Konsa is there.  If we have an opportunity to get great money, we should take it. 

great player, but we can do better with money we can get for him 

Totally agree on we as a club and as fans need to understand player values and when to cash in.

it is part of a well run team.

FWIW I wouldn’t actively sell Konsa but would seriously consider a large offer…..

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You don’t bid for a player unless you know he might be available or wants a move.

Or his agent has told you he would be open to leaving when all he actually wants is a new contract.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Oh wow, Recoba! He scored some sensational, outrageous goals!!

Serie A was the best for magnificent goals!

Bad keepers of the 90s, plus excellent defences means a need for a lot of long shots to score. 

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Konsa made more starts and played more minutes than anyone else in our squad last season… so I don’t think we’ll be selling him

I agree, no chance we are looking to sell him. 

I do wonder about the mindset of elite sportsmen (women) though. Yes he’ll get loads of games this season with is being in Europe, but he’s been a starter for a few years now. If we are speculating that Mings and Torres will be the preferred choice for big games, I wonder how he’ll deal with that? 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Never played in that position has he?

I’m no expert, happy to get the thoughts of more knowledgable people…

A couple of times according to Transfermarkt. Looking at his style and strengths, e.g. his passing range and stats are very similar to Foyth's, looks very comfy of the ball, it looks like he could play in that role. 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Johnson is certainly the "type" of player we need, but maybe not "the" player we need.

That’s exactly where I am too. He’s the right sort of player, but there has to be better value elsewhere… but like you say in King Unai we trust :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Totally agree on we as a club and as fans need to understand player values and when to cash in.

FWIW I wouldn’t actively sell Konsa but would seriously consider a large offer…..

Konsa would be a great asset as a cup starter and emergency fill-in for league games. The 5 subs rule makes depth even more valuable. Keep!

Edited by maqroll

45 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree, no chance we are looking to sell him. 

I do wonder about the mindset of elite sportsmen (women) though. Yes he’ll get loads of games this season with is being in Europe, but he’s been a starter for a few years now. If we are speculating that Mings and Torres will be the preferred choice for big games, I wonder how he’ll deal with that? 

You’re so right, some players take the squad mentality really well, some players don’t. He seems pretty humble to me and not a player that will kick up a huge fuss about playing lesser games/fewer games. But you have to strike the balance right. You don’t want a player that doesn’t want to play… but you want one that takes their opportunity when they get it. 

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Konsa would be a great asset as a cup starter and emergency fill-in for league games. The 5 subs rule makes depth even more valuable. Keep!

A good option for right back as well, Cash could do disasters in our high line, yes he has pace but his awareness could be terrible at times.

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

Wont be a happy man if the magpies end up with Felix (tbf I thought they would have a excellent chance between them and PSG) , theres only one way to settle that score if he did 👇🏽

KM10 👀

Is he linked to them right now? I would have liked him with us, that would’ve reduced the quality gap with some top teams, but with him going there, that would be an issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I wouldn't, Mings and Carlos will be 31 soon and we don't even know if Carlos will ever get back to where he was.

Konsa is the only CB we actually own that's at a great age.

Maybe next season if we're adding yet another CB but not this year for me, consistency is key at CB and Konsas done nothing to deserve to be sold

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:
1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

That’s exactly where I am too. He’s the right sort of player, but there has to be better value elsewhere… but like you say in King Unai we trust :) 

Maybe with the money saved on Torres and Tielemans, that Emery sees enough in Johnson that he could really be something. I remember when opposition fans didn’t think much of Grealish initially and every season he pushed on further.  

Adding to that, Johnson is a local boy from Nottingham and only just turned 22, there is a lot of growing that can be done there and he has now some PL experience.  

Yes we can get value elsewhere but no idea if they’d flop here in this league and maybe our main targets don’t want to come here.  

The cost will be massive but if he can do what he’s done at there in a better team with us and coaching from Emery then maybe he’s worth it and the one UK Tax, over payment we do, to get the fit that Emery wants.

I don’t know if I want him especially with the cost but if Emery wants him then let’s do it.  I can certainly see the reasoning behind it so I agree with both of you.

• Like 1