Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Was his name Recoba ?  Who would score a 35 yarder every month ? 

You mean Yeboah?

lgnore you’re talking about Serie A

Edited by Tommo_b

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i used to love watching Football Italia at the weekend, being able to watch all the Italian highlights, which almost seemed exotic back then, was something else.

Also enjoyed to little segments they did, sitting in coffee shops around italian cities talking about this or that.

Was a superb show.

Cannavaro, Maldini, Batistuta, Gazza, Weah, Asprilla, Baggio, Di Canio, Baresi, Desailly, Costacurta, Laudrup, Del Piero, Deschamps, Vialli, Brolin, Nesta, Di Matteo, Casiraghi, Fonseca, Conte, Buffon, Vieri, Thuram........etc etc.

golden age for Italian football tbh.

Same here…

What a list of players… and plenty more to mention 😆 Parma made so many players that were taken off their hands. I loved the Crespo and Chiesa strike partnership, Veron was one of my favourite players/playmakers (devastated when Man U signed him and ruined him) and he was a key component of that brilliant Lazio side (loved em). Mihajlovic was a sensational free kick taker (scored a hat trick of them in a game), so many to mention. Vieiri was such a formidable CF… man… if only John Gregory could have managed to sign him!!!

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This was the man . For you younguns on here 

Oh wow, Recoba! He scored some sensational, outrageous goals!!

Serie A was the best for magnificent goals!

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This was the man . For you younguns on here 

Batistuta was a killer though… could score from anywhere 🤣

I used to joke with my cousin that he used to break GK fingers with the power of his shots! 

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or Konsa 👀

Truth be told, brilliant old fashioned defender.

However, with the arrival of Pau, will probably the weakest in the areas of progressive passing and pace.

Thing is, remember what Monchi does , is sell players at peak value and get replacements in.

Konsa was always on borrowed time, a good player in many senses but his progressive passes are terrible.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Konsa 25, Carlos 30, would be terrible decision to get rid of Konsa

Mings and Torres are probably our first choice pairing in the short term but Konsa Torres is the future 

Yeah I’d be shocked if Konsa goes anywhere, he can learn so much off the others and develop even further. It does seem like Torres and Konsa are the future but we don’t know who will be signed in forthcoming years…

30 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily want to see him sold.

However, in truth, he is the least " modern " of our CBs.

I'm not sure if he is the " future " if i'm honest, he's slow.

I have a feeling that over the next couple of seasons there will be some painful outgoings.

But we have to become self sustainable.

Hopefully if this is the case, we are sure to keep our " core " at all times.

Didn't he nearly go a while season without being dribbled past?  He doesn't look slow to me at all

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Batistuta was a killer though… could score from anywhere 🤣

I used to joke with my cousin that he used to break GK fingers with the power of his shots! 

Batistuta and Shaw were the two players that I always "pretended" to be when playing footie with my mates as a kid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

That is not even remotely true.  The Italian commentators know (or at least have it written down and then use it during matches) so much about English clubs and players.  Last time I watched Villa on Sky Sports Italia they spent more than 5 minutes talking about Ramsey's career progression and the fact that he had a younger brother out on loan who was doing really well in the Championship.  They then talked about what a great signing John McGinn had been and how he must be one of the best value signings of recent years.  Then they talked about how Mings had recovered from being stripped of the captaincy to become a key part of our improvement under Unai.  Their knowledge of the teams outside the Sly 6 is at least as good as English commentators - I'd almost go to say that it might even be a bit better.  Also they don't turn every conversation about any club, manager, player into a conversation about a Sly 6 team.

I know it is slightly different because there is live Premier League football on Italian TV (and so to an extent they are just doing their job) - but I've found out plenty of stuff about opposition players from the Italian commentary team.  I bet if you asked all the English commentators on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky to name 2 players from Lazio (who finished 2nd), where Atalanta play (finished 5th) or to name players from Sassuolo who have represented Italy in the last 3 seasons they wouldn't have a clue.

Excellent and true 👏 

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Excellent and true 👏 

Before the Euro 2021 final - Sky Italia did a superb analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the two teams - the areas that England would be looking to exploit, where Italy might struggle, how Italy might be able to expose specific England defenders in certain scenarios, the players on either bench who might come on and change the match.  It was insightful, excellently researched, fairly balanced (obviously they were hoping that Italy might sneak a result) and overall a great piece of football journalism.  Compare that to the "punditry" on English / British TV.

39 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We do need to know when the best time to sell players to get maximum value. I think Konsa is there.  If we have an opportunity to get great money, we should take it. 

great player, but we can do better with money we can get for him 

I don’t think too many teams would be interested nor would they pay a big fee, he’s an underrated player who flies under the radar really… he has time to develop and good players to learn from… as well as King Unai. He’s quite dependable for us…

36 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Interesting to see Roger Ibanez linked - he might be who Emery wants to play at RB in the Foyth mould. 

Never played in that position has he?

I’m no expert, happy to get the thoughts of more knowledgable people…

Just now, allani said:

Before the Euro 2021 final - Sky Italia did a superb analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the two teams - the areas that England would be looking to exploit, where Italy might struggle, how Italy might be able to expose specific England defenders in certain scenarios, the players on either bench who might come on and change the match.  It was insightful, excellently researched, fairly balanced (obviously they were hoping that Italy might sneak a result) and overall a great piece of football journalism.  Compare that to the "punditry" on English / British TV.

And to bring everything back on topic - there are some pretty good young players coming through some of the smaller / less well known Italian clubs who could become real stars in the next 2 or 3 years.  The model here tends to be that those players will get snapped up by the big Serie A clubs and might then make it onto the radar of richer clubs in England / Spain.  But it is a pretty decent market that we could be looking to exploit by strengthening our scouting network in this part of the world.

20 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Konsa was always on borrowed time, a good player in many senses but his progressive passes are terrible.

Do you not think he can improve (further)?

I really do believe Unai can bring on our players even more and bringing in extra quality helps them too…

He has time and capacity to learn and develop…

Just now, allani said:

And to bring everything back on topic - there are some pretty good young players coming through some of the smaller / less well known Italian clubs who could become real stars in the next 2 or 3 years.  The model here tends to be that those players will get snapped up by the big Serie A clubs and might then make it onto the radar of richer clubs in England / Spain.  But it is a pretty decent market that we could be looking to exploit by strengthening our scouting network in this part of the world.

There will always be quality there…

But… I’ve often found or noticed that Italian players don’t travel/settle very well abroad… apart from a few exceptions… such as Vialli and Zola (but at the latter end of their careers?).

Can’t blame them really, it’s a beautiful country and lifestyle for many…

There have just not been that many success stories of them moving abroad and they are often quick to return to their homeland… that may be different in the near future though…