Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You really think we’ll be selling Buendia? I don’t think there is a chance in hell he’s leaving this summer.

No chance. We’d take too much of a hit. He’ll be a squad player at best next season.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You really think we’ll be selling Buendia? I don’t think there is a chance in hell he’s leaving this summer.

I don't think we sell him but we definitley upgrade on him, he'll be a sub next year

Think villa fans are still a bit stuck on this idea that we buy someone means we must be selling someone, we had two keepers on the bench for month and two kids at the end

Buendia will be a good squad player

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

🤷🏻‍♂️its kind of irrelevant though isn't it.

Messi thought his best position was on the right until Pep moved him central.

Grealish thought his best position was central.

At one point in time most would say Gareth Bale is a LB, Thierry Henry is a left winger, Dwight Yorke a winger, David Luiz a CB, Phil Jones a DM, Gareth Barry a CB.

Leon Bailey plays better on the left 😄

Not completely irrelevant. You have to get the player to buy in.

And Unai is probably not going to try to get Bailey buy in as long as he runs an asymmetric formation with the left back being the one who advances.

3 minutes ago, TomC said:

Not completely irrelevant. You have to get the player to buy in.

And Unai is probably not going to try to get Bailey buy in as long as he runs an asymmetric formation with the left back being the one who advances.

Probably best to move on as we'll never know but the idea Bailey would refuse to play there is mind boggling - he's literally played there before and has shown no sign of attitude problems.

Particularly over the left back. Bailey has played Left Back himself

6 minutes ago, macandally said:

You have no clue what he will be! 

You’re right, I don’t, but seeing as he was dropped for Bailey towards the end of the season and all the links to attacking players so far this window, I doubt he’s going to be a starter!

2 hours ago, allani said:

I think we need our front 3 scoring 10 + goals each.  We don't score enough and are too reliant on Ollie.

Absolutely agree...

I said the same in the Watkins or new CF thread just yesterday.

Villa need Watkins to continue hitting 15-16 goals and the attackers to weigh in more, the likes of Bailey, Traore, Buendia and Mcginn aren't scoring enough.

Hence we are looking at replacements who can score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Just looked at last few pages on Rodrigo thread on Leeds forum Waccoe.

He's a million miles off Hernandez's passing ability, all his through balls have too much pace and go straight out of play
get this **** word removed out of our club
Too little too late for me , cant wait for him to leave. He irritates me massively with his pretend pressing.
Hopefully some other stupid words removed will buy the lazy rocket polisher now.
Spain must be desperate
God he's been shite overall really. We shouldn't bother with expensive signings anymore, waste of time
Best game I’ve seen him actually close players down and make a challenge... His 3rd season

And there were lots more negative comments beside those, there were some positive ones as well, such as might do a job in the Championship, better than Bamford, and 'he's our best finisher', but overall he hasn't been great at Leeds at all, feel like people are just looking at the fact he scored thirteen goals last season and the reported low transfer fee in coming to the conclusion that we should sign him but truth be told overall he's been poor, thirteen goals this season, but just eight and seven in the previous two, and only four assists across three seasons, also won't be as cheap as people think as wil cost a lot of money in wages.

We've just done well in selling Ings, an older player who we were paying a lot of money just to be a back-up option, why would we then replace him with Rodrigo who would have the same role, would be on similar wages, but is older and isn't as good in front of goal, it's not even as if Rodrigo's general play has been good.

I'm not saying Rodrigo is the answer, and he certainly hasn't impressed me when I've watched him, however, I took a look at the Leeds consensus a couple of days ago and it differs quite a bit from your summary. 

In general very mixed as expected for a relegated side but mostly slanted positively with many feeling he was their best striker who is quite a few regarded as the best finisher in the league(huge pinch of salt needed here) also just been called up into the Spain national team again. Their views up until the last 2 months of the season were considerably more positive than their latest comments.

Overall, wouldn't be my first choice but as long as a dynamic wide forward comes in, he could be a smart pickup on the cheap.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Would be perfect to partner Watkins in the deeper striker role, but I’m afraid he’d spend more time on the sick bed than Diego Carlos.

On a separate note, he was a Monchi signing at Roma, one of the few signings he got right there. Maybe Monchi is imminent?

This would be brilliant.. not because I know much about him.. but just because I want an Italian in the team.. 

Ideally a southern Italian.. but if not.. a Tuscano will do.. 

• Like 1

I've seen many negative comments from Leeds fans on Rodrigo and not just in recent weeks because they've been relegated, some of those comments I quoted go back a few months, but their disappointment in him stretches way back beyond that, the only real postive comments were things like better than Bamford (and even then most agreed that's only been this season), should do a job in the championship, and at least his goals this season means that he hasn't been a total waste of money, but overall they're overwhelmingly negative about him, even the good things they have to say are hardly a ringing endorsment for a team trying to challenge at the top of the table.

Have to remember they paid £30m for him and he's on £100k a week, he came with a big reputation as a Spanish international, so they had big hopes, I remember when they signed him some of our fans were saying what a good signing it was and asking why we didn't try and sign him, so compared with what was expected of him he has been very dissapointing, hasn't excelled in any particular position, they tried him out wide, upfront, in central midfield, just six goals last season and seven the season before and if you look at his career those kind of tallys are the norm rather than this season's thirteen goals.

Just saw another comment on Leeds forum that their best run in Premier League came when Rodrigo was dropped for Tyler Roberts.

Obviously they aren't entirely negative on him, thirteen goals this season has helped with that, and some are saying that they would like to keep him in Championship, so it's not as if they all hate him or anything like that, they made many bad expensive signings that haven't worked out and can't say he's been amongst the worst but overall hasn't worked out, maybe partly because he hasn't suited the systems that they play, I've seen a few of their fans suggest that, maybe doesn't suit English game.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Would be perfect to partner Watkins in the deeper striker role, but I’m afraid he’d spend more time on the sick bed than Diego Carlos.

On a separate note, he was a Monchi signing at Roma, one of the few signings he got right there. Maybe Monchi is imminent?

I know nothing of this guy? Wass he do?

27 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

This would be brilliant.. not because I know much about him.. but just because I want an Italian in the team.. 

Ideally a southern Italian.. but if not.. a Tuscano will do.. 

No Milanese?

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wass doesn’t he do! He’s got magic in his boots.

he does multiple ACL injuries at a very young age.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Probably best to move on as we'll never know but the idea Bailey would refuse to play there is mind boggling - he's literally played there before and has shown no sign of attitude problems.

Particularly over the left back. Bailey has played Left Back himself

Didn't he play left back when he first came in and scored that goal, an we all thought we had the replacement for Grealish already. 😆

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

2 serious knee injuries, a bunch of those small injuries you get when coming back from a big injury and mental exhaustion issues for Zaniolo. Also a immensely talented 23 y.o who would be amazing if he could stay fit.

Could also turn into Giuseppe Rossi mk2 and never get over his injury h**l