Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I can’t agree.  There were many conversations on here whether it was the managers fault or the players or both during those periods.  Discussions about mental strength, ability, form AND commitment was expressed as reasons against various players.  

Tielemans may be a lot worse and all that but similar accusations were put against many of our players and arguments given to take those players out of the team and need to be replaced.  

Everything is all rosy now with those same players but those discussions were had on here, at the ground and on other platforms regularly about commitment.  

Hindsight has blamed Gerrard rightly so, so when I look at other players in poor teams I don’t always look at them so negatively given what we went through is all I’m saying.

But there was no "you're not fit to wear the shirt" from the crowd to any individual player. There may well have been criticism amongst fans themselves, but that's a bit different from a crowd in unison singing it to one player, it was sung to the whole team on many occasion in our relegation season. I was never dowm with the vitriolic abuse towards SG, but nonetheless, I struggle to think of any one individual who didn't at least try, as poor as they were at times, that's just how I saw it.

I remember when we were relegated under McNeill, and there were plenty in that side who shirked their responsibilities. It's the ones that didn't I remember, such as Keown, who felt indebted to give us another season in division 2 such was his shame and he was one of the few who didn't have anything to be ashamed about because he always gave his all. That's the kind of character I'm referring to. And I believe that's a trait Emery looks to first, hence his love of McGinn. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The clamour in here every window is annoying 😂 He left 4 years ago and has never hinted at coming back, was like the annoying Milner love

He is way below what we require, 9 goals in over 50 games this season is dreadful

9 goals in over 50 games, I didn't realise he had that ratio this season, oops. You're right, we need CFs scoring more than that.

Would Tete be a good pick up? Looked decent against us, only time I saw him.

Nothing against the free transfer market, so long as the players are good enough…

A couple of them could free up more funds for the “big signings” maybe and strengthen our squad at the same time…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Players turn nearly every club in the world down except maybe Madrid, Barcelona, & Man City.  It's part of the game. Just because Asensio decided to take oil money over the Premier League doesn't mean our transfer plans were blown up.

Agreed. The club management has their act together. I doubt that they would be foolish enough to put their eggs in one basket.

I think it's pretty obvious now that one of their major priorities is somebody to play up front alongside Watkins. If we continue with the same asymmetric formation, that means a right sided player...someone to play the role that Bailey and Buendia have played, but better and more consistent.

Asensio fits that description. It makes sense that we would go after him. Now that we (apparently) failed, I'm sure they have a list of 4 or 5 other players who fit the description.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Nothing against the free transfer market, so long as the players are good enough…

A couple of them could free up more funds for the “big signings” maybe and strengthen our squad at the same time…

I think if you ask Leicester fans, they’ll tell you his best game was by far and away against us. In fact, I think it was his only good game

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

thats a lot of money wiped off the books.

they paid:

• Perez - 30m
  • Tielemans - 40m
  • Mendy - 15m
  • Soyuncu - 20m

So basically 95m there spent on players now out of contract.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 2

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think if you ask Leicester fans, they’ll tell you his best game was by far and away against us. In fact, I think it was his only good game

ye, turned up versus us and thats it, seen him a few other times and he was poor.

wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.

3 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Maybe there is something in this…

may or may not be true.

Gregg Evans however, knows about as much about Villa's transfer dealings as you and I do.

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Scored his only goal against us on his debut. He was on loan from Shaktar.

20 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Maybe there is something in this…

Big fan of Tielemans! He’s a lovely striker of the ball and gives brilliant options in midfield. And free! Couldn’t be better! 

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

thats a lot of money wiped off the books.

they paid:

• Perez - 30m
  • Tielemans - 40m
  • Mendy - 15m
  • Soyuncu - 20m

So basically 95m there spent on players now out of contract.

That's horrendous.