Pre Match Thread

maqroll

2 week wait 😔 

We can use this time to enjoy the win yesterday, rest, heal, bring in a couple more players, unload a couple, and prepare for Leicester.

We have to view anything less than 3 points vs them as a failure.

I see no reason to change the starting XI.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

2 week wait 😔 

We can use this time to enjoy the win yesterday, rest, heal, bring in a couple more players, unload a couple, and prepare for Leicester.

We have to view anything less than 3 points vs them as a failure.

I see no reason to change the starting XI.

2 weeks. 😕 

It's gonna feel like ages to me. So two weeks without a Villa win! I think I'm starting to get a bit greedy, Unai is spoiling us. Like the Ambassador with his Ferrero Rochers.

2 hours ago, smg said:

Can I be the first to say, ‘I’ve got a bad feeling about this one’. 

Not really but someone always does .

Seasoned Villa fans have experience again and again that when you start expecting and hoping, it an indication that we are about the run off the cliff.

In other words, if I feel good about Villa, it scares me. And I can’t remember last I felt so good about Villa, I’m really hoping it is different this time.

• Like 1

I think I heard Emery has given them a few days off now, which feels deserved as I think he’s been working them pretty hard in training since the WC and this has been a great run. But has anyone seen that officially?

Be interesting to see how we line up with a couple of potential additions. But even if it’s the same line up as the last game, we should go into this in a good place.

12 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think I heard Emery has given them a few days off now, which feels deserved as I think he’s been working them pretty hard in training since the WC and this has been a great run. 

If so, that's good man management, to know when to crack the whip, and when to ease off. I have a feeling that someone like Bielsa wouldn't do it. 

I hope the break doesn't affect the by killing the momentum. Our only league loss under Emery came directly after the world cup break. (Liverpool H)

As for the game, I expect another tight match, as they all are under the current manager, and I will go for a 2-2 draw.

Would be nice to win before 2 extremely tough matches, but I feel our Villa Park form needs to improve and Leicester will be desperate for a point.

If we do manager to win, we will most likely still be 11th, but with a big gap below us and likely just a point or so from the top half still.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Some prophecies are made not so that something may come true, but as a kind of spell to prevent it from coming true. By predicting what form the future will take, prophets of this sort mock the future by shaming it into not taking that form.

• Shocked 1

I have to be honest ... I'm dreading this game !!!

We are struggling badly at the moment with Rodgers making crazy substitutions that really haven't  helped us. Emery seems to have you playing well while Rodgers has us playing poorly !!

Hopefully we will have bought some more players before this game. 

There is no doubt I my mind that you have the better manager . 

• Like 2

Villa are playing very well at the moment and I hope that continues.

Hence based on form we should beat them but I think it might be a close game.

However things really clicked against Southampton and it would be nice to win a match 3-0 for a change.

I'm feeling quite optimistic about this game (which usually means we'll lose).

They are in a terrible run of form (which usually means they'll win).

Hopefully Emery has changed things at this club that the above two points are no a longer a concern.

2-0 Villa win, Duran scoring from the bench.

There will scarcely be a better time to play them. I'm confident going into this. No it's not a sure thing by any stretch, but I'm sure we can match them on paper and at the moment we're the better team on grass. So if the lads turn up, and hopefully with a few new players to spur them on a bit more, I'll go with a 3-1 or a 2-0 win.

On 22/01/2023 at 22:49, viivvaa66 said:

Seasoned Villa fans have experience again and again that when you start expecting and hoping, it an indication that we are about the run off the cliff.

In other words, if I feel good about Villa, it scares me. And I can’t remember last I felt so good about Villa, I’m really hoping it is different this time.

Couldn't have put it better myself, would be so Villa to lose this and play incredibly poorly, praying this doesn't happen and we continue finding a way to win under UE as we have been of late!

On 22/01/2023 at 23:49, viivvaa66 said:

I have a feeling under Emery we will often surprise against the top clubs. So far there’s not been that many signs of us disappointing against lesser sides (except Stevenage obviously), but let’s think of Leicester as a big club and beat them 4-0.

---------------------------Martinez--------------------------

Young----------Konsa--------Mings--------Moreno

---------------------Luiz---------Kamara-------------------

------------Buendia-------------------Ramsey-----------

------------Bailey--------Watkins-------------------------

subs; Olsen, Digne, Cash, Chambers, Dendoncker, Nakamba, Coutinho, Duran, K Young

Not sure what's happening with Carlos and McGinn at the moment, but I've assumed both aren't available.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

---------------------------Martinez--------------------------

Young----------Konsa--------Mings--------Moreno

---------------------Luiz---------Kamara-------------------

------------Buendia-------------------Ramsey-----------

------------Bailey--------Watkins-------------------------

subs; Olsen, Digne, Cash, Chambers, Dendoncker, Nakamba, Coutinho, Duran, K Young

Not sure what's happening with Carlos and McGinn at the moment, but I've assumed both aren't available.

Suspect this will be the line up, but Unai said McGinn should be back for this.

Doubt we'll see Carlos before March at the earliest. 

• Like 1