Pre Match Thread

maqroll

7 hours ago, grobs said:

We always seem to put in a gash performance against these at home. Hope that Unai puts an end to it 

Last season was pretty decent, very good second half performance and Emi made an amazing save near the end. We also beat them in the cup SF which was a fantastic performance as they were much better in those times. Also haven't lost for a few games at the KP so we don't have that terrible a record v them in recent times.

• Like 1

Feels like it’s been an age since our Southampton win. No games are easy but we really should be winning this, as Leicester are pretty poor away from home. Their defence rarely keeps a clean sheet and their keeper wouldn’t give me any confidence at all. Going forward though, they still have quality and we’ll have to keep Maddison and Barnes in check. Vardy being out though is certainly a plus.

I think our eleven picks itself at present and thankfully our bench is looking better with players returning from injury. Will be good to give McGinn some minutes and would also be nice to see Duran at some point. What about attacking the Holte again first half? It seems to have worked a couple of times and enabled us to get a couple of goals ahead in games.  

Martinez

Young        Konsa             Mings         Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

Ramsey                           Buendia

Bailey         Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Cash, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, McGinn, Coutinho, K Young, Duran

A 2-0 win I reckon. Could certainly do with no injuries or silly bookings leading to a suspension. UTV

I'm expecting a similar first half to the Wolves game, they'll control possession (especially if Maddison starts) and we've got to hope we aren't too many goals down for the second half improvement after UE has made changes and the crowd noise goes up a notch as it did in the second half in that game to try and spur us on and get something.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sounds like duran might get some minutes tomorrow according to the bosses presser

That'll be (hopefully) exciting to see.

If we get ahead, I'd like to see us cut out some of the extreme time-wasting. I don't mind a bit right at the end, but feel big Emi (in particular) is going to get himself a suspension at some point and we do not need that.

Mind - let's do the getting ahead bit first!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If we win this is it 19 points from a possible 24?

That would be a most un-villa thing to be doing.

Can't happen. We're due for a loss, I feel certain. Which, like all my Villa feelings, will get you a chip butty in Ipswich if you bring £2.50. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Can't happen. We're due for a loss, I feel certain. Which, like all my Villa feelings, will get you a chip butty in Ipswich if you bring £2.50. 

Ha yeah, we've been due for a few games though now! 19 out of 24 is title winning form. 

I'd definitely settle for not getting beat and playing well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

We'll lose 0-3.

(I tell myself that, to try to soften the blow of feeling hopeful then being disappointed. But of course, that never works. Villa losing hurts, no matter what.) 

We'll win 1-0.

(That's me mentally "negotiating" what seems a reasonable Villa kind of win, but it's like bargaining with the universe after a terminal diagnosis -- it's a tenuous hope, I know.)

1-1

(Not asking for too much, and neither being a defeatist nor a pollyanna --- feels about right.)

So, finally, that's what I'm saying: 1-1.

That's what football does to you.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ha yeah, we've been due for a few games though now! 19 out of 24 is title winning form. 

I'd definitely settle for not getting beat and playing well.

I'd settle for not playing well and winning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

I'd always want us to play well, but a fluke 1-0 after being utter turd still gets you 3 points...

I guess West Hams example this season at Villa Park, never troubled them...but nobody wants a really bad performance, but everybody wants 3 points.

I think its hard to get a 1-0 win......many parts of the game have to be met to do so.

A game of football comprises of Attack and defence, but many fans only look at the Attacking parts and take defence as a given....its not, it takes much skill, perseverance, desire and concentration...that all goes in to the pot of Good Performance.

I am not trying to teach my grandmother, how to suck eggs.....but not enough credit, is given to teams who stop the opposition from playing and impose themselves.

Scoring goals, is great, and blowing teams away, is wonderful, but there is a reality too.To ignore other teams aspirations is folly...( don't mean you)

Winning breeds all kinds of enhancements ,confidence being the main one.....confidence in turn, encourages players to do things, they wouldn't normally do, when we are losing.

Winning, breeds courage and bravery, in decision making.....so a poor perfomance win, can easily lead to a good performace win, which is the holy grail.

fingers crossed for tomorrow.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

It’s just so obvious that Villa lose this game. Win a couple of games, raise expectations, then lose in the worst way possible. It’s the Villa way. 

(Hoping we move away from the Villa way to the Unai way!)

• Sad 1