Teams you care about for various reasons

Spoony

So I’ll start by saying we are obviously all Villa fans so let’s not go down that path.

BUT, a lot of us have teams that we care about a bit more than others or keep track of or go to watch for various reasons, so I thought it’d be interesting to see who everyone’s might be. For me:

1) Walsall. My friends and I are scattered over the country and Walsall is a good halfway point to see a game on the cheap. Nice club to visit, good people and tend to be quite entertaining games. The obvious thing to say here is “well what about Villa” and the answer is ££££ and also it’s nicer to all see a team none of us ‘actually’ support.

2) Fulham. A lot of Fulham supporting family and have seen them a lot when living in London.

3) Burnley. Again a lot of Burnley supporting family so sort of obligated to know about their progress. 

• Like 2

Care is probably a stretch but out of the sky lot I'd rather arsenal won the league than the others, lived next to 2 gooners for over 20 years growing up and they were sound paired with wengers arsenal probably being my favourite era of the PL

After that honestly... **** the lot of em, I really don't care outside of villa

I follow Derry City as my second team and try get over there for games when I can. Have quite a few Celtic fans in my family too so tend to look out for their results as well and watch quite a lot of their games. Have a soft spot for Walsall as well, as I imagine quite a lot of north Brum/black country Villa fans do

1. Aston Villa  😍
  2. Wimbledon  (went to see them at original Plough Lane now and then when I was a little kid)
  3. Woking  (my hometown)
  4. Swansea  (my mum's hometown) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. England
  2. Wales
  3. Peru

The socceroos - because I'm Australian

Celtic - because Ange Postecoglou is Australian

Wests Tigers (NRL club) - because they used to be the Balmain Tigers, and there are only 2 kinds of people: Those who were born in Balmain and those who wish they were.

• Like 1

It's Villa all the way but I also used to go and watch Wenger's Arsenal as a kid sometimes, and I live around the area, so I am certainly hoping they win the league above City + United. 

I was also a student in Nottingham so was happy to see Forest back up although the signing of 24 new players is a bit much.

AC Milan - bit of a weird one really, I've actually seen Inter play at San Siro and seen Inter V Barcelona at Camp Nou and the Inter V Villa friendly around 09, but never seen AC..

But AC Milan because I really like something about teams who have older players?  Not sure why.  But in my early 20s they had a team of Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Gattuso, Seedorf, Pirlo, Kaka, Inzaghi, Crespo and mostly all in their 30s (Kaka excluded), they were still absolutely brilliant and played football the way I liked.  Then they got Ronaldinho from Barca when he was "over the hill" and had Beckham when he was finished.  I just like it when older teams can turn it on against pace and power.  

That team were so obviously focused on the Champions League, they didn't really win much domestically.. it's like the players saved themselves for the CL.

Plus, they had Pato as a young gun.  I was absolutely certain he'd be this god-like striker, but injuries and partying see him finished by the time he was 26/27.  Such a shame.

I hope to go to San Siro so I can actually see them play there, but time is running out! 

So I absolutely loved it when they won the Scudetto last year, and I still keep an eye on them.  It's a much younger team these days, but players like Giroud and Ibra still give me that bit of age to keep it interesting.

Oh, and I really like Roma because they are a bit like Villa, but mostly because Totti is an absolute GOD and I wanted to play like him.

Tldr;

I like AC Milan because they used to have older players 😀

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

Used to be Burnley because of the colors - have grown to dislike them because of the style of play under Dyche. Have been there a few times, last when we beat them on New Years Day, Grealish scored a cracker and Wes basically ended his career. Cambridge U. as I studied there. Leyton Orient - been there once, just found the ground and area....eh, interesting.  I find lots of small clubs down the leagues fascinating, last Saturday I was at Stockport - honestly one of the best atmospheres at a English ground I have experienced for a long time.  

• Like 1

I go to all the world cups and Euros following England but Villa are leagues above in terms of importance and that will never change. I don't go to Qualifiers for example and would take a Villa League Cup win over an England World Cup any day.

I also watch Mexico because my missus is Mexican. But teams I care about? Villa. Thats it.

(I don't even care about the women's team or the U23s either if I'm honest.)

I go to watch Dortmund regularly due to work, as well as PSV and Ajax, but them winning or losing makes no difference to my evening. 

Edited by GlobalVillan

Nowadays I‘m only interested in Villa but in the past used to watch Oxford United home and away, not extensively but maybe two or three times a season over a few seasons. My mum’s boyfriend at the time was a big fan and he used to take me, it was free for me and a good laugh in the crowd. Always found the Oxford/Swindon rivalry quite amusing.

I don’t really look for their results any more but I did use to.

The other team I used to occasionally watch was Telford, the Buck’s Head was only up the road from me and you could always get tickets. Never visited the ‘new’ ground though, only ever went to the old one. In fact I remember being on MOTD once when they played Millwall in the FA Cup, you could see me and my mate sat on the terrace’s yellow rails behind the goal. 

I have a few clubs abroad I have soft spots for, a couple due to watching them live on holiday with my brother and my dad, who has now sadly passed away. Valencia are one, and AC Milan as well. As someone else has said, I quite like Roma too as I think they have a lot of similarities to us in terms of stature in the game with a lack of recent, tangible success. 

Domestically, I dislike pretty much every other prem side for one reason or another, and probably down into the championship too. Shrewsbury are okay, as are Telford as my two nearest clubs. 

Boreham Wood, as there stadium is right next to Elstree studios so when i went there a few times i looked up who they were playing and kept a lookout for their results ever since.

Sheffield Wednesday as i went to uni in sheffield and during my time there we dropped into the championship, i went to the away game when we won 4-2 in Feb 2018 and some aspects of their ground are very old school and grand, the clock bit was a nice touch and reminds me of VP in that sense of history you get, also we were 2 big teams in the championship at the time so that resonated with me.

The area I am moving to shortly is very much Hammers territory, although i don't think I care about them 🤣 however i expect i will see a lot of claret and blue around, only the wrong team obviously.

Arbroath Grandparents Mums side were from there so always lookout for their results.  Gutted they missed out on promotion last season to the Prem but as they are still a part time club it was still abit of a fairytale.

Play in Claret too so what's not to like!

Â